Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Weekend Atlanta

Unread 03-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
livvylove
.•° Loving Life °•.

New Weapons Policy for 2006

The new updated Weapons Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMerrill
After some discussions, we have revised our weapons policy to be less restrictive. Instead of the total weapons ban, I've gotten it to a "No Real Weapons" policy. So no live steel of any kind (swords, knives, throwing stars, sai, etc.), no firing guns of any kind, no explosives.

Noticeably fake weapons are OK. Cardboard, foam, wood, resin, any non metal fabricated replicas are allowed.

Props are fine, even large ones. We would like to be consulted if you are planning anything large enough to impede traffic or cause problems.

Hopefully that will alleviate some fears about this year's show. I will try and have the official policy written up and in place everywhere tomorrow night.

Jason Merrill
AWA Special Events Director
cosplay@awa-con.com

Everything below the line doesn't apply but I am leaving it so people who come in the thread will know what the discussion was about.

I didn't see a thread that posted it so here it is

Quote:
No prop weapons, except for the Costume Contest (Judging and Presentation). All of our previous policies are still in effect for the contest (no real firearms/expolsives, no whips, chains, etc).

So no weapons AT ALL on Friday and Sunday. Only to and from the Judging and the Costume Contest on Saturday. Security should not see any on Saturday before noon, from approx. 3pm to 7:30pm or after 10pm. At those times they should be taken to a room or a car.

If seen with a weapon by a staffer you will be asked once to put it away. That includes before and after the contest on Saturday. We may mark your badge in some way if you are stopped. If you are spotted with a weapon and a marked badge, you will be asked to leave. I'm still working out the details, but we are serious about not having weapons wandering around the show.

There might be an area set aside near the judging for photographers. Anyone stopping to pose with a weapon going to or from the Contest outside of the designated area will be asked to continue without stopping.
So last year some idiot con goer bought a sword at the dealers and was walking around with it unsheathed over his shoulder. He ended up cutting a lady in the face. So a few idiots ruined it for the rest of us.

I even asked just to make sure of Wolfwoods cross would be allowed around the con and that ended up being a negative so just FYI.

2011 Conventions
Momocon
SeishunCon
Dragon*Con
AWA
ATL Comic Con

Deviant ArtTwitterLivejournalMyspaceTumblr

Last edited by livvylove : 04-05-2006 at 02:30 PM.
livvylove is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
TechieCL
MomoCon HeadStaff

Well, until that gets posted to the FAQ on the main website...I'm still planning on bringing my disabled airsofts.

MomoCon On Tour get your Fan-Fix between conventions. Photoshoots, dances, and more!
TechieCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
UrMastrInuYasha
Baka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieCL
Well, until that gets posted to the FAQ on the main website...I'm still planning on bringing my disabled airsofts.
Not a good idea, I just read the main website, Has the same thing, It's pissy.

Oh well.

UrMastrInuYasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 11:58 PM   #4
DizzyFan
NEO JAPANESQUE

...Totally not cool for a future cosplay. x_x
Unless Yoshiki's hair counts as a weapon, I should be fine for this year, though...
DizzyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 02:22 AM   #5
PatrickD
As seen in Dramacon vol 2

No prop weapons... Pretty much the same thing they said on their forums in June 2003 (and updated in December 2004):
http://www.awa-con.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=162

Not sure what the fuss is about. It doesn't look like the policy has changed from what it has been for the last few years...
Use AnimeCons.com and the AnimeCons.com Forums to find anime cons near you!
PatrickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 02:26 AM   #6
UrMastrInuYasha
Baka

Gyah. My first year going to a major con, And what's the point if you can't see really huge swords! I LOVE REALLY HUGE SWORDS!

And dang, without the weapons allowed.. it's going to suck, Because I always got a kick-ass pic with the person, And then got a pic holding their weapon!

oh well, Things may change, who knows.

UrMastrInuYasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 08:05 AM   #7
mocha
The Original Blikku!

It's not on the main page yet, but they do announce it in the forums. He also mentions that they haven't changed the page yet. Either way it cuts down on which cosplays people can do. I know that most of mine have props of some kind. -_-;

http://www.awa-con.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5690
mocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #8
djanime2005
Kurosaki Ichigo

yeah it is not on the main page yet. I am going as ichigo. I have made a sword to go along with the costume. Looks like i will have to leave it at home unless i enter the costume contest. I even asked if i could carry it on my back. There was reponse was and I quote " No weapons will be allowed outside the contest. That includes anything worn or sheathed. If you are not going to be entering the contest, then you should not bring them at all. " That was from one of the directors from the con. Who knows someting might change before then though.

Liz
djanime2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 09:45 AM   #9
sweetvenus
Photographer

I'm hoping they'll at least decide to have some sort of place where you can take photos with your weapons at some point. I was planning on going as Presea from Tales of Symphonia and it's just not the same without her gigantic axe.

Jessica Winn Photography
www.jessicawinn.net
sweetvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 09:46 AM   #10
livvylove
.•° Loving Life °•.

I think the only way they have said things might change on the forums is if they get more staff. I know we where planning on doing Wolfwood and Meryl and the director told me unless we entered the contest we couldn't walk around with the cross. Since we don't even want to enter the contest, if we did it we wouldn't enter those costumes antways, so that idea was a bust. We will do that for Momocon probably. But we did come up with a fun costume idea for Friday. Saskai and Mr Himura. Unless kitty stuffed animals will be banned next I don't think we should have a problem.

So does anyone know if they are going to allow the weapons vendors again this year or are they going to stop allowing people to sell things that go against the cons rules that where already in place.

2011 Conventions
Momocon
SeishunCon
Dragon*Con
AWA
ATL Comic Con

Deviant ArtTwitterLivejournalMyspaceTumblr

Last edited by livvylove : 03-26-2006 at 09:48 AM.
livvylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 09:06 AM   #11
Aleathia Burns
Even Crazier in person!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvenus
I'm hoping they'll at least decide to have some sort of place where you can take photos with your weapons at some point. I was planning on going as Presea from Tales of Symphonia and it's just not the same without her gigantic axe.
I see what you mean. I think that if some people might have photoshoots away from the hotel grounds. I know that there is a huge parking lot where Cumberland mall is and I bet you alot of cosplayers will be taking photos there instead of the hotel grounds.
Unread 03-27-2006, 11:42 AM   #12
TechieCL
MomoCon HeadStaff

Well it just looks like its a matter of time till it hits the main page...

Guess I'll just have to do my silly Umbrella with umbrella pose when I wear the uniform.

MomoCon On Tour get your Fan-Fix between conventions. Photoshoots, dances, and more!
TechieCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 03:37 PM   #13
Second Angel
OH BABY.

That really sucks. And my friends and I were totally discussing that today and everything. O.o;;

I was just thinking about doing Sasuke's fuuma shuriken last night. It was a fun project to keep me busy and now I find out I can't even carry it around! >.<;

I guess I'll make it and keep it in the room. Hopefully my costume will come out good enough for the contest. If not, I guess there's always the next Momocon! XD

I think it really blows that we can't have our props because some doofus was too stupid to sheath his sword and carry it properly.
Second Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 05:31 PM   #14
hyperperson
Psycho is as Psycho does

I can understand not being allowed to have real weapons but I think that it's at the point where it's a little rediculous. It said that you can't even bring batons, baseball bats, hockey sticks, etc. o_O I wasn't planning on bringing any of those things but I think thta's a little extreme. Can't they just say "no real weapons."? The staff should have stopped that idiot in the first place last year and told him to put it away. Or they should have safety gaurds or whatever they're called) at the weapons vendor in the dealers hall that to put on your weapon as soon as you buy it to prevent accidents like that. I was planning on bringing a prop gun (or more than likely a squirt gun seeing as how I have no prop making talent) for my Moon Child Hyde cosplay but now I suppose that's out which really sucks since that's sort of what really makes the outfit recognizable and good (not to mention picture worthy...so much easier poses) T.T
hyperperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 08:34 AM   #15
Tetsie Seshi
The Soiled Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsie Seshi
This is (obviously) my first post on AWA Forums, so I apologize in advance for not putting this on the correct board (if it isn't)...

My question is about the new weapons policy. If this hasn't already been discussed, or whatnot - I had planned to make a costume with a character that (like most other cosplay's) have a sword, or weapon of some type...I understand the rules for carrying said props, but my character is one who won't be easily identified without his sword. Now I'm not asking for special permission to carry mine, i'm not that juvenile...my question is moreso for designated photograph areas. It is more of a suggestion, I guess...If there is enough staff to watch an uncrowded area outside of the building, or in a certain room to where people can take pictures of cosplayers with their props, it would make this con a bit better than just a guy running around in a handmade microfiber captain's jacket with shiny black boots...

If you don't have enough people to watch a room or area like this, I would be MORE than happy to donate my time to a cause.

As I said, I don't know if this was the correct forums, and I'm sorry about that. Also, if this has already been discussed, and declined - I have a room I'd like to sell in the hotel where the con is being held...3/4 person room (smoking requested) for 3 nights...
I just posted that on AWA site, I'll keep y'all informed on the answer...
Tetsie Seshi is offline   Reply With Quote