Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-26-2006, 06:16 AM   #1
Efecss

Posing....

In the general discussion area, a while back, someone was asking about posing.

Well, I was looking through some old Bud Plant Catalogs recently, and found a booklet that phogoraphers use for models, to convey what kind of poses they want.

Now, the person who's thread I was talking about, was asking about signature poses and how she was wondering if she should know the pose her character is suppose to have, or should she take direction from the photographer.

When I saw the book in the catalog, I kind of thought to myself, maybe this might be handy. Making a booklet with some of the more popular characters in their signature poses, and/or make a book with some general poses that you can show to someone to convey what you are looking for, if it gets tedious with them. Meaning you spend over two minutes trying to get a pose out of them that they just don't understand, or you can't quite convey

(And now we turn to Jak Jaramouche for his comment.)

Unread 03-26-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
deleriumx
i take pictures

I have one of those pose booklets that i use when i am doing shoots in a studio, however i have a feeling it may be a bit more difficult in a con setting (unless, of course, you are doing a private photoshoot). For me, sometimes it takes some time to get the pose just right, especially when the person i am shooting is not an experienced model (As many cosplayers are not) The whole photographer/model exchange in a con setting is so brief, that stopping people and showing them poses to do might be a bit awkward..
I think if you are doing private photoshoots with cosplayers at cons, this could be really useful.. but i'm not sure how it would work for hall cosplay shots. but you could always give it a try and tell us how it turns out
deleriumx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
kkoganei1328
chachamaru!!

i'm not a photographer but a cosplayer and i have had people ask me to do different poses etc. it was a bit awkward but i didnt really mind too much. if it makes my look better, i'm all for it! =D
kkoganei1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 08:18 PM   #4
Photorusse
Photographer

I have a pose guide that is quite thick. This is a general guide that the model can look through and mark so during the shoot when things slow down, there is always a reference. I suggest to anyone to tear out poses you like from magazines and print from the internet and keep in a book for yourself. But for cosplay, I would think that the main guide would be the character you are emulating.
Photorusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 09:06 PM   #5
Efecss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photorusse
I have a pose guide that is quite thick. This is a general guide that the model can look through and mark so during the shoot when things slow down, there is always a reference. I suggest to anyone to tear out poses you like from magazines and print from the internet and keep in a book for yourself. But for cosplay, I would think that the main guide would be the character you are emulating.

I am trying to find out, is that would this be beneficial to anyone.
Say, you have a small book, that has a page or two of poses of the Sailor Scouts as a group and as individuals. Or you have some pages from an artbook for Rovolutionary Girl Utena that you would like to do if you find an Utena and Anthy.

Would it be more beneficial to have something like this, than try and describe the ideal shot.

But, your suggestion is also a good one, that I may have to add to my little tips for beginning cosplayers. If things get into a quandry with them and the photographer, they just pullout a small book of signature poses for their character and say; "Look though this, and see what you would like me to do."

Last edited by Efecss : 03-26-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Efecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 12:05 AM   #6
jtnishi
CREEPY PHOTOGRAPHER #1146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efecss
When I saw the book in the catalog, I kind of thought to myself, maybe this might be handy. Making a booklet with some of the more popular characters in their signature poses, and/or make a book with some general poses that you can show to someone to convey what you are looking for, if it gets tedious with them. Meaning you spend over two minutes trying to get a pose out of them that they just don't understand, or you can't quite convey
This does sound like it'd be a useful resource. It's something I've wanted for a while. The only issue I'd see is that there'd be a lot of time required to collect together the information, and that it would probably run afoul of copyright issues.

That said, in theory, if you used pictures of cosplayers in such signature poses correctly, it'd probably be easier to obtain permission to use, since chains of ownership would be easier to trace. In addition, many cosplay photographers might be more open to the idea of allowing their work to be used in such a fashion if such a guide was made available for open use by other photographers and cosplayers. And it's not like there's any lack of cosplay pictures of people in the outfits of popular characters.
Unread 03-27-2006, 12:32 AM   #7
Efecss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnishi
This does sound like it'd be a useful resource. It's something I've wanted for a while. The only issue I'd see is that there'd be a lot of time required to collect together the information, and that it would probably run afoul of copyright issues.
True enough...

Quote:
That said, in theory, if you used pictures of cosplayers in such signature poses correctly, it'd probably be easier to obtain permission to use, since chains of ownership would be easier to trace. In addition, many cosplay photographers might be more open to the idea of allowing their work to be used in such a fashion if such a guide was made available for open use by other photographers and cosplayers. And it's not like there's any lack of cosplay pictures of people in the outfits of popular characters.
Well, another way would be to use costumes that are almost like, but not exactly like, ones used. Like you could put a girl in a costume made for suare dancing (WHich has a lot of crinoline in the skirt) and just show a couple of poses, with the skirt in several possitions.

And for fighting girls, or girls with swords, just get someone to pose in different stances, or frozen movements. Something just to show an idea. I dosen't have to be THE character.

Just whitteling down the idea.

In addition: There is a HOW TO DRAW MANGA book, that does give possitions like the ones I am talking about.
Unread 03-27-2006, 03:17 AM   #8
Sashi
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

That sounds like a great idea!!!I'm terrible at posing and around the 3rd pose I start running out of ideas and begin repeating the poses again : /

I'd love to be alble to get a book like that and I know many other people who'd love it too.
Sashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 03:36 AM   #9
Ami Yuy
Not an active mod
Site Moderator

As a cosplayer I've started to print out pose references for the character and bring them with me. At the COSMODE shoot I showed the sheet to Kyle and he chose a couple which he thought would work and we took them.

As a photographer, if I'm doing a private shoot I try and research the character beforehand so I know how the costume is supposed to look, what the character is like, how they pose, etc. so that I can do my best in getting good photos of the person.

For general con photos I let the cosplayer do the first pose and then depending on whether they/I are busy I might ask for a second pose. But this is one of the main reasons I generally stick with photos of characters I know, then I can help them pose if need be.

A generalized pose book would be cool to have, definately. I know I run out after awhile and then by the time the cosplayer's out as well we may still have tons of time/location opportunities left but have run out of unique/good poses to do.
Ami Yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 05:16 AM   #10
Photorusse
Photographer

You really don't have to worry about getting permission for photos to use in your book. If you're able to rip an image off a DVD, download from the internet, or rip from the pages of a magazine, that is fine. You're using the images for your personal use, so rip away!! I took my images from the net from model sites and mostly Betty Page! Then I hit Cosmo, W, etc. Remember, look at the pose, not the clothes! Ami, I agree with you: if I were planning a shoot with a Cosplayer, I would research the character and visit every web site about that character and probably download and print as many images as I could.
Unread 03-27-2006, 06:50 AM   #11
Efecss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photorusse
You really don't have to worry about getting permission for photos to use in your book. If you're able to rip an image off a DVD, download from the internet, or rip from the pages of a magazine, that is fine. You're using the images for your personal use, so rip away!! I took my images from the net from model sites and mostly Betty Page! Then I hit Cosmo, W, etc. Remember, look at the pose, not the clothes! Ami, I agree with you: if I were planning a shoot with a Cosplayer, I would research the character and visit every web site about that character and probably download and print as many images as I could.
Granted, since you are not reproducing them to sell, this would be fine. It's like that law of eminant domain in copywrite laws. Making a copy for your own use is not against the law.

-----

Well, this has gotten me into the mindset of trying to do this. As a small press publisher, and doing my own cosplay zine.

Now, the question becomes (From Ami Yuy) how generalized. Would it be more advantagous to ask several cosplayers to do some signature poses. Or simply ask a guy and a girl to do some poses that would be useful for anime? (The girl would have to pose in various skirts too.)

And as for copyrights from the studio. I found out that there is a caviate to copyrights in certain situations.

Last edited by Efecss : 03-27-2006 at 06:56 AM.
Efecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 07:32 AM   #12
Photorusse
Photographer

Yes, you would have to have permission to reproduce the anime for a pose guide. You would have a much easier time just getting cosplayers to pose for you. Make sure you have model releases. They are very easy to download from web sites. If you need one, I can try to post one as an attachment later.
Unread 03-27-2006, 05:58 PM   #13
jtnishi
CREEPY PHOTOGRAPHER #1146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efecss
Now, the question becomes (From Ami Yuy) how generalized. Would it be more advantagous to ask several cosplayers to do some signature poses. Or simply ask a guy and a girl to do some poses that would be useful for anime? (The girl would have to pose in various skirts too.)
That's a good point. On the one hand, one would presume that the burden would normally be on the cosplayer to know a signature pose or two for the character they're cosplaying. That said, I've run into a multitude of people who don't know any good or signature poses. Many of them are cosplaying popular characters, but my memory is terrible, especially in regards to things like body angles. That means that indeed, both sides (signature poses, and good general poses) need to be addressed, and the more important problem becomes where the balance should be to account for a reasonable size. Personally, I don't care as much about getting characters in signature poses, because I can't remember how to make signature photo compositions anyway :P. But I can guess that more than a few might prefer it.
Unread 03-28-2006, 05:51 AM   #14
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

I'm a photographer first and an anime fan second.

I would say that I recognize a cosplay about 30-50 percent of the time. Out of that 30-50 percent, I would sat about a tenth of those I could actually suggest a character specific pose.

For this reason, I would normally not get involved in the poses which a cosplayer would want to take.

HOWEVER, if a pose makes the cosplayer look particularly bad, or if the cosplayer has no pose and wants a generic flattering pose, I would quickly voice my opinion of what I wanted to capture.

I suppose the idea is to make the cosplayer look accurate, then good. Not a typical glamour/fashion viewpoint, but it is cosplay and thats the idea.

Bruce
staereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 10:40 AM   #15
Photorusse
Photographer

I think it strange that a cosplayer would spend many hours and many dollars perfecting a costume representing their favorite anime and then either have no idea how that character acts/moves or do not care. It seems very incomplete and not typical of the cosplayers that I have met over the years.
That is usually the starting point for a shoot: get the cosplayer to use character specific poses and then let creativity take it's course for the rest of the shoot and that is when a generic pose guide would come in handy.