Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Pokemon

Unread 03-26-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
Madoutsukai
Kuroi No Mahoutsukai

Crossplaying Misty(Pokemon)

I'm planning to do this for Anime Expo, and I know where to get most of the things I need but the red suspenders..

Does anyone know of any stores that carry them?

Also, I don't know what to do with my hair, since she has orange hair, and I have brown. Should I find like a spray or something?

EDIT2:00p.m.:

Also, I don't have too much hair on my legs.. Should I just completely shave them for the cosplay? Or just leave the little bit that I have?

Last edited by Madoutsukai : 03-26-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Madoutsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
Crimson Firefly
Paku Romi Wannabe

These aren't really crossplay related as much as they are general cosplay related, but...

Check value village, good will or any second hand store that might have tacky red suspenders... I found rainbow suspenders there before XD.

As for your hair, most people here would probably say a wig is your best bet.

Ayanami Rei [Evangelion]
Kuma [Persona 4]
Sheila (update) [Mahou Shoujotai Arusu]

Crimson Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
Madoutsukai
Kuroi No Mahoutsukai

Hmm, I'll see if I can find one.
Unread 03-26-2006, 11:35 PM   #4
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

As Crimson Firefly said, unless you are actually discussing the male to female appearance transition, general costume help for a crossplay can go in the regular cosplay forums. ^^; I've moved this.

Misty's hair might actually be kinda hard to do as a wig. You can try, but sprayed hair might not look totally bad. Maybe. XD;

As for your legs: NO anime character ever has leg hair unless they are meant to be like, an old man or something. Any young character, male or female, never has body hair. This is a little, 10-12 year old girl you're cosplaying. Even in real life, she might not even have leg hair yet. Shave your legs. :P

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
Animeniac

If you can't find them second-hand, you might try a costume shop. They often have "tacky" suspenders for clown costumes, etc.
Animeniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2006, 10:24 PM   #6
Zipo
Saavisu ga suki nano?

In some cases I'd recommend tights, but Misty wears shorts, so I'd say shaved legs for this one. Except it might be better to use a hair removal lotion like Veet or Nair, if you've never shaved your legs before. Experiment before the con to make sure you have a method that won't turn you red and bumpy.

Also Misty, still being a kid, is like a stick. >_o She's too young to even have curves, for the most part. If you're going for a good likeness, rather than laughs, you're going to have to have the figure of a beanpole to pull it off. Chances are, either way, you'll be about a foot taller than her...

Oh, and PLEASE wear some kind of facial makeup in addition to shaving, if you're going for a convincing look. >_<

(y'know, this topic looks like it's potentially going to go back to crossplay subjects...)
Zipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 12:48 AM   #7
Madoutsukai
Kuroi No Mahoutsukai

Thanks for the advice.

For the cosplay I just want some laughs. My friends and I thought of it at like 3am during the second day at AX. I just want to have some real akward fun for my first year cosplaying.

But I think just shaving will be fine, I've done it before to see if I can actually et more hair on my legs.. Which doesn't work..

And I'll try looking for costumeshops but around the Washington area I'm in there's practically nothing other than what is absolutely needed.

Maybe I'll have a friend find me a pair.
Unread 04-02-2006, 11:18 PM   #8
Madoutsukai
Kuroi No Mahoutsukai

Does anyone know what the bag she carries around is called?
Unread 04-02-2006, 11:22 PM   #9
ZeromusMog

Hey there, I pretty much registered to post in this thread since I have pretty much the same nefarious scheme.

I'm wondering if any of you girls or experienced crossplayers in here could give me any tips on doing makeup to look like, erm, a tomboyish 12 year old girl despite being a guy that, while shaped like one, doesn't have a face like one. Obviously I'll do some eyebrow trimming and such, but are there any tricks to make man-faces look a bit more feminine? I have access to pretty much any kind of makeup you can imagine due to a family member having a gigantic inventory of Mary Kay (although I haven't worked out how to ask for it yet, heh) so the sky's the limit in this department.

I did find some good shorts at Wet Seal today; they're not exactly like Misty's but considering that style went out forever ago (and I'm not a fan of the high-rise anyway) but they are folded up at the bottom and although there are some stitch decorations on the back pocket, they look like something someone who runs a water gym would have so no worries there. Still working on the top; bright yellow really isn't in this year so far though (and I'll likely have to go to an alterations shop to get it cropped, of course). I might have to wait for summer to come closer. I also figure that since I have no other costumes and a semi-limited budget that if I want to wear this costume all four days I'll probably have to have at least one "copy" anyway so I can kind of keep an eye out for something better but not be afraid to snag something good in the meantime.

Anyway I'm ranting; this is my first cosplay outside of Halloween and I'm a little excited.
ZeromusMog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2006, 12:34 AM   #10
Madoutsukai
Kuroi No Mahoutsukai

What's Wet Seal?

I'm just cuttig some extra pants into short shorts.
Unread 04-03-2006, 02:21 PM   #11
ZeromusMog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madoutsukai
What's Wet Seal?

I'm just cuttig some extra pants into short shorts.
Wet Seal is a teenager/older-women-who-want-to-look-like-teenagers store in the mall.

I suppose cutting some jeans would work rather well but I'm not so sure I have anything suitable laying around, and buying them in shorts form is cheaper in the first place. It's a good idea to keep in mind if I end up wanting extra pairs in a pinch though

I can't get at it now but one of my friends gave me some interesting makeup tips. Of course, no matter what, we're going to be guys trying to look like a 12 year old tomboy and there is inherant miserable failure involved in that, but that is also what makes this costume so fun.
ZeromusMog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #12
Madoutsukai
Kuroi No Mahoutsukai

Ahh.

And I'm just using an old pair of jeans, cutting them near to short short status, and folding them up to short shorts, then sewing them in.

haha, I'm still kinda thinking against my Man-Misty cosplay for some weird reason. But I'm probably going to just to get a good laugh.
Unread 04-05-2006, 10:54 PM   #13
animeBecky21
Goofy girly user

Got an Army-Navy store around? Look for the cloth web belts with the slider buckles. They're fairly cheap and sometimes come in bright colors. Take the buckle off, pin over real suspenders or put the suspender clips on. Instant bright red suspenders.

RIT dye over plain white suspenders is another option.

For young makeup, just go simple - foundation, most anime characters a black eyeliner is appropriate, maybe a touch of light blush and a natural lipstick, or lip gloss. Because you're a boy, a few added touches to feminize without being too heavy duty, doesn't hurt.

It will be easier to find a wig in the right color, but I can't remember how long her hair is. If it's shorter, get a wig thats a little too long and trim it.
Unread 04-06-2006, 10:47 AM   #14
Madoutsukai
Kuroi No Mahoutsukai

I actually was able to find red suspenders at Walmart! Surprise Surprise!

As for the make up, I never really thought of that.. That's a good idea.

Oh boy... I need to go get Makeup now..

And Maybe I'll get a wig. But I'm doing for giggles, so I'll probably just gel my hair.
Unread 04-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #15
Sipo

Walmart! Of course. I was actually going to suggest a suit shop. (I live near an extremely amazing zoot suit shop. <3)
Sipo is offline   Reply With Quote