Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Unread 04-02-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
Stupid2Care
Waiting for my prince

Coming to Japan

Hi,
I am going to be studying abroad at Senshu University next school year. I can't wait. It will be my first time in Japan. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can give me information about attending cons while I am there. Also if anyone happens to go to school there or in the Tokyo area and would like to meet up sometime let me know. I'll probably need all the help I can get.
Thanks,
Jennifer
Stupid2Care is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-03-2006, 12:20 AM   #2
Kazenokibou

Well, I can't really inform you about Japanese cons (since I only go to Comiket) but when I am in Japan during the summer, I stay in Tokyo, so if you are in Tokyo then, I can meet up. I haven't cosplayed in Japan yet, so I don't know where good stores are for cosplaying and such, but I do have some knowledge of where Mandarake, Animate, and Gamers are.

As for information about cons, I found Comiket entry on Wikipedia, and they have good information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comiket

Other general things I noticed(if any part is wrong, please tell me. Also, if you know already, sorry^^;; ):
- Unlike America, usually it's not called "convention," but "events."
-Comiket is the biggest comic convention, and bassically they have no restrictions (obviously manga/anime/ game related is the biggest, but if you want, you can find doujinshi that talks about Chinese tea, or about Greece), however, other events seem to have more restrictions(note: Comiket do not charge for people who come to buy stuff, and allow cosplay).
-Some events are "'something' only" (such as Naruto only event), and some events won't let you cosplay at all.
-As far as I know, you CANNOT be dressed up going to an event, you MUST get dressed there.
-Some events will make you pay to cosplay
-As far as I know, there isn't any Masquerade, or cosplay contests at events.

Other stuff related to Cosplay in Japan:
-Ever growing popularity of Maid Cafe in Japan also sprung up something that is called Cosplay Cafe (or in some cases, bar o_O) such as this one: http://comok.goodwill.jp/
-there are things called Cosplay Dance Party?

I just have no clue how much you know already, so I just stuck things in there that came to my mind.
Kazenokibou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2006, 08:47 PM   #3
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

This thread might help you...
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=74616

There's also Cosplay Festa http://www.cosplayfesta.com/

I don't know the Tokyo scene that well - I'm way up north. But Supremeronin is in the Tokyo area and a helpful guy that can get you started.

There's a few wig shops, like www.maple-wig.com and www.cyperous.com, and Odakaya? Okadaya? I don't remember the name of it... with lots of cosplay related things from contacts to wigs to fabric. There's also a few fabric stores in the area where Maple Wig is (but I've never been).

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
emeraude
Love 4 Cosplay

Hello, the biggest convention was in march at tokyo it is called tokyo international anime fair, it is being celebrated every year so i hope you can go. i couldn't go there but you should go . about cosplay there are conventions every weekend, (if you are living in tokyo), i have been in comicket and i cosplayed at odekake live in nagano. i hope you can cosplay yoo =)
emeraude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 12:42 AM   #5
SpaurhSpoor

Your kidding, some events will make you pay to cosplay?

Always try to be nice people and don't allow hate to destory your heart and your joy of life.

Currently working on my first cosplay as Lafiel from Crest of the Stars. 1% finished
SpaurhSpoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2006, 12:21 AM   #6
haruna
Fear my cookies of rue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaurhSpoor
Your kidding, some events will make you pay to cosplay?
Yeah, but keep in mind, these events won't charge you steep admission fees like the $40-50 a ticket American cons do.
Unread 05-25-2006, 02:52 AM   #7
Hebi_hihi

oh !!!!!!!!!! That is great ^^ I wish i were you .
Hebi_hihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
-Naraku-
hellmaster

what convention exist in summertime in japan??? I will visit it in summertime with a friend as a cospalyer! ^^

oh...and how much cost a convention / how can I log in????
Unread 05-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
BIOJECT
Long Pointy Elf Ears! Mmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazenokibou
Well, I can't really inform you about Japanese cons (since I only go to Comiket) but when I am in Japan during the summer, I stay in Tokyo, so if you are in Tokyo then, I can meet up. I haven't cosplayed in Japan yet, so I don't know where good stores are for cosplaying and such, but I do have some knowledge of where Mandarake, Animate, and Gamers are.

As for information about cons, I found Comiket entry on Wikipedia, and they have good information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comiket

Other general things I noticed(if any part is wrong, please tell me. Also, if you know already, sorry^^;; ):
- Unlike America, usually it's not called "convention," but "events."
-Comiket is the biggest comic convention, and bassically they have no restrictions (obviously manga/anime/ game related is the biggest, but if you want, you can find doujinshi that talks about Chinese tea, or about Greece), however, other events seem to have more restrictions(note: Comiket do not charge for people who come to buy stuff, and allow cosplay).
-Some events are "'something' only" (such as Naruto only event), and some events won't let you cosplay at all.
-As far as I know, you CANNOT be dressed up going to an event, you MUST get dressed there.
-Some events will make you pay to cosplay
-As far as I know, there isn't any Masquerade, or cosplay contests at events.

Other stuff related to Cosplay in Japan:
-Ever growing popularity of Maid Cafe in Japan also sprung up something that is called Cosplay Cafe (or in some cases, bar o_O) such as this one: http://comok.goodwill.jp/
-there are things called Cosplay Dance Party?

I just have no clue how much you know already, so I just stuck things in there that came to my mind.
I don't get it. Why can't you go already dressed up to the event?

And how why should you pay more to cosplay? Wouldn't that deture people from doing it? If not, is there some kind of bonus for paying? Like staff will do your makeup for you or something?
Unread 05-29-2006, 06:14 AM   #10
emeraude
Love 4 Cosplay

convention are about 20dlls, but if you are going to cosplay you just haveto pay 15dlls, you can go to comicket ! in big site
emeraude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2006, 08:55 PM   #11
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIOJECT
I don't get it. Why can't you go already dressed up to the event?

And how why should you pay more to cosplay? Wouldn't that deture people from doing it? If not, is there some kind of bonus for paying? Like staff will do your makeup for you or something?
You usually can't go already dressed up because that's the way society is in Japan. Cosplay, while somewhat "popular", is still not the norm (not that it is in America or elsewhere). I think I can sum up a lot of Japanese "rules" by saying that "image is everything". How you appear to others is important - so you walking around the streets dressed as Super Mario or Princess Zelda or something is very strange and would affect how others saw you. It can also be an inconvenience for other people. Transit in Japan is often very crowded. Your costume might be a bother to someone if it's not just basic clothing. Taking up more space, pokey bits, etc. would be very rude on a crowded train.

The only exception I can think of is perhaps the punk/goth/lolita fashion. They often meet at Harajuku and hang out - they don't change there, as there is nowhere to change and it's not a convention or official gathering. Usually, though, they don't tour all of Tokyo dressed like that, and it's most often on the weekends.

Often events are free and you pay for cosplay only because you use a changing room. They do not have any other perks, and it most certainly does not deter others from doing it. The fee at Comiket for the changerooms (and you have to use them, you cannot enter the cosplay area in a costume without the proper sticker on the book) is only about $6 (600yen).

At other events, cosplayers get in cheaper, like at Tonacos (at TFT, at the same time as Comiket). I think it's 2000yen for cosplayers (but the rules are way less restrictive than comiket, so more props and skimpier outfits and things are allowed) but 3500yen for photographers. ZiggyB would have more information - he attended Tonacos last winter.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Unread 06-03-2006, 04:06 AM   #12
haruna
Fear my cookies of rue

Smaller, specific-series only events may not even allow cosplay at all.
Meanwhile, there's a number of cosplay only events.

Unlike America, Japan doesn't have very many all-encompassing events that feature video, industry, games, model building, doujin sales, etc all under one roof.

To get back on topic, whoo, it's a different world there!
Unread 06-03-2006, 01:57 PM   #13
melodrama

sorry to add one more question, but if i were to attend comiket without the intention to cosplay, is there any entrance fees i need to pay? thank you!
melodrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #14
piinku

This thread is just what I was looking for... I'm moving to Japan at the end of July (the Iwate prefecture) and am wondering about conventions in the area. What are the major conventions for late summer and fall/winter in that area?
Unread 06-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #15
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodrama
sorry to add one more question, but if i were to attend comiket without the intention to cosplay, is there any entrance fees i need to pay? thank you!
Nope. Just walk in. After joining the line, of course.

Quote:
This thread is just what I was looking for... I'm moving to Japan at the end of July (the Iwate prefecture) and am wondering about conventions in the area. What are the major conventions for late summer and fall/winter in that area?
I don't think there are any. There might be a few small gatherings in Morioka or Sendai (Miyagi-ken), but big conventions? Those are all down south. I have a friend in Iwate, and he complains about the lack as well, so unfortunately you'll have to make the trip down.

I know there will be small gatherings (a city in my prefecture has them), but I don't know how to find out about it at all.

Good luck! I know what it's like - I'm in Aomori (but leaving this fall).