Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Nan Desu Kan

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
Lady Neese

Costume/Cosplay Contest Rules

For those of you who haven't been to the NDK site in a while the new costume/cosplay contest rules are up! There will be some major changes this year, including the introduction of different levels and some online registration, so if you're interested in entering please go read them.

http://www.ndkdenver.org/main/programming/cosplay-rules

Katie
Lady Neese is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
ashleyohtori
The Goblin King

Katie...I've said once, and I'll say it again.

Your the best, these costume rules are much improved and will be more fair for costumers in the masquerade!!!

It will like a real boy!, erm, I mean costume contest!!! *Sorry, I had to...

Great job!!!!
Unread 04-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
lady_artemis
Awesome and PINK!!

YAY! I think the rules have really improved. The years before this one weren't as fair as I would have liked them to be (i.e. the children kept winner 1st place because of their cuteness >.< most couldn't compete, lol) But now it seems a lot better. I'm glad that they separated it into beginner, intermediate, and masters. YAY! Thank you for posting this! (I never check the NDK site >.<)
lady_artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
JL_Toshee

Thank you very much, Katie ^.^
So now they made some entries online...hrm....

Last edited by JL_Toshee : 04-04-2006 at 07:21 PM.
JL_Toshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 09:36 PM   #5
Curucar

Oooh. Online entries. I was contemplating not entering this year because of the 932847 hour wait in line only to get the last slot last year, but now I might change my mind...

Last edited by Curucar : 04-04-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Unread 04-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
JL_Toshee

yah, makes me wonder how they are gonna go about it. I'm glad about the online thing, though. I didn't like the lines at all.

Last edited by JL_Toshee : 04-05-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Unread 04-05-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
grandis
Buried Alive in Gold Trim

Thank you! That looks very well thought through. I'm looking forward to registering in September, once I figure out what I'm wearing for sure.

Grandis

Beauxbatons Original Design from Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire: 30 percent
Sparklypoo Hogwarts Uniform from Harry Potter Universe: 20 percent
Spoor from Crest of Stars: 0 percent
grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
ashleyohtori
The Goblin King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeto
One thing the masquerade rules are unclear about is what form of craftsmanship judging will be offered (up-close or from the stage), and whether or not part of the entrants' scores will be based on audience applause.

As a potential entrant, I hope that the Master Division won't be judged the way it is described in this thread: http://forums.cosplay.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=22

I would not feel comfortable competing in a division where a large part of the scoring is dependent upon a popularity contest, and I hope NDK 2006 is not run that way.
Well, since I don't think you've been to NDK, the rules for the costume contest have drastically changed since Katie and Chris and Kim have taken over John's postion as cosplay coordinator. (THat was John's post you took information from.)

John's reign is finally over and many of his decisions in the cosplay contest have caused this unfairness, however, with the new rules, they are more based on ICG guidelines instead of John's policy of not having catagories because "everyone should have an 'equal' chance" and be placed in the same lump of a group regardless of cosplay experience than having different skill division levels.

With the new cosplay coordinators, the masquerade will be judged more like other masquerades at other cons. However, the masters catagory is the the catagory that has craftmanship judging.
Unread 04-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #9
Lady Neese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeto
One thing the masquerade rules are unclear about is what form of craftsmanship judging will be offered (up-close or from the stage), and whether or not part of the entrants' scores will be based on audience applause.

As a potential entrant, I hope that the Master Division won't be judged the way it is described in this thread: http://forums.cosplay.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=22

I would not feel comfortable competing in a division where a large part of the scoring is dependent upon a popularity contest, and I hope NDK 2006 is not run that way.
Your concerns are completely understandable Saeto. Craftsmanship judging will be done up close and personal, documentation of the making will be required. Right now we have one for sure craftsmanship judge and we are working on two more. To make it even more fair we're getting craftsmanship judges from outside the anime community so that personal bias' for cosplayers do not enter into the equation. There will be no applause judging this year.

Yes online registration is something Chris, Kim, and I really wanted. Just make sure you follow the rules and don't send your stuff in before the time stated or you will have to resubmit.

I hope that helps clear things up a little bit. See you all in October!

Katie

Last edited by Lady Neese : 04-06-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Unread 04-06-2006, 08:19 PM   #10
JL_Toshee

I'm really excited for the new rules, Katie! Good job ^.^
Unread 04-06-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
Ditto
甘瓜

yes, last year once I finally decided to get in line it ws pretty long.... and then eventually I was next up toregister and all of a sudden "this is the cut off point" happened to me in '04 too..... but I still somehow got in that year...... yea. I have bad luck with these things so I am definitly happy about onlne regestration.

[3D Photography - Ditto3D]
[Commissions - Gravity Props]
none
Ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2006, 10:56 AM   #12
Beverly
Emotion, yet peace...

They look really fantastic, excellent work Katie. ^^ I'm really excited to see how things progress.
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #13
lilacwire
Your Little Life Raft

To clarify: Masters is the only category with craftsmanship judging?
Unread 04-13-2006, 11:17 PM   #14
Lady Neese

Yep. Masters is the only category with craftsmanship judging.
Unread 04-14-2006, 10:08 AM   #15
lilacwire
Your Little Life Raft

Sigh ;.;

I wish that all of the categories, even the skits, could be craftsmanship judged. I know it's kind of a pipe dream, but what if that judging separated two journeyman level costumers?

Me and my pipe dreams. ^^

I'm glad you guys have put so much into the masq for this year, though. Can't wait to see how things go.