Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Connecticon

Unread 04-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Connecticon: Things to Know

I've never been before and I'm not familiar with the area, so are there any tips more veteran con-goers can give? What to bring, where to stay, where to find decent comestibles? Also helpful if you can suggest what to avoid at all costs-- I usually wind up stumbling into the least likeable situations possible.

--Penny
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
Hiro_01
"haha moo"-Kakashi

hm, well. there's nothing really to expect at ct con if you've been to a con, I mean it's really fun. you should try to go to as many panels as possible, and try to watch the Masq, if you're not already in it.
L100%
Jessy:100%
Ed-100%
Adding a new con to the list! Bakuraketsu, Anime Boston, CT con (hopefully they'll be more in the summer if i can pay for them all)
Hiro_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 12:06 AM   #3
LordAhsayuni
Sasoriza no Onna!

Its more of a people con, not as big as AB, but its pretty good. its a med. con in a HUGE place, so for some reason people seem few and far between... There are lots of sitting areas, but not any good places to eat. GREAT video rooms, but pannels arent up to par with AB. Piano squall is a must see... umm lets see... oh yea, make sure u earn tons of bunny bucks, i didnt even know they existed untill sunday, so i missed out on alot.. basically its free money that can be used to buy anime at this one stand in the dealers room...
Unread 05-08-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
Rath Illucer
aka Silvered Fox

Connecticon.org is finaly working again ^ ^ I'm not sure if it was down for everybody, but i've been wanting to double check some stuff so i noticed. (I also agree with LordAhsayuni about Piano Squall being a must see ^ ^)
Also did you find any good places around the con to eat? (our group pretty much also agreed with the food being...eh. We tend to get ourselves lost too.
Any good places around within driving distance that are not that complicated to get to?
Rath Illucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 11:47 PM   #5
LordAhsayuni
Sasoriza no Onna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rath Illucer
Connecticon.org is finaly working again ^ ^ I'm not sure if it was down for everybody, but i've been wanting to double check some stuff so i noticed. (I also agree with LordAhsayuni about Piano Squall being a must see ^ ^)
Also did you find any good places around the con to eat? (our group pretty much also agreed with the food being...eh. We tend to get ourselves lost too.
Any good places around within driving distance that are not that complicated to get to?
yea i dont know, for some reason that whole 'city' seemed kinda deserted to be a city ya know? not lots of people walkin around or anything... and they didnt even have a hotel connected to the con center, although i hear its a possiblility that there will be one this year... but it looks grim for that....

and yea, even if you dont know final fantasy or piano squall, its good to go, hes a super kind hearted person, and his music is awesome. He basically adapts final fantasy music, and makes it his own, while playing an AMV in the background... and he isnt limited to final fantasy, i remember him playing evangelion too, and it was one of the best mixes ive ever heard...

lol did anyone go to freezepop last year? they were so terrible it was funny... they had like christmas lights glued to all their 'instruments' which were actually just keyboards and computers and crap... i really want them to come back this year, just because it was too f*in hillarious last year...

but overall, connecticon is a fairly small plesant con. There isnt nearly as much running around as AB or god forbid otakon or something like that. Its like the vacation con lol. I remember last year, I saw some people with a big eva unit 02 watching anime on a laptop, and we went over and watched some with them... it was truly awesome. (btw after i saw their eva 02 i found one in the dealers room, its like 12" high and cost me only $20 which is nearly unheard of)

BTW anyone cosplaying naruto, im starting a connecticon naruto gathering, so look for the thread in the connecticon forums
Unread 05-09-2006, 08:48 PM   #6
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

So... how does one earn bunny bucks? It sounds... naughty.

--PD
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #7
LordAhsayuni
Sasoriza no Onna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful
So... how does one earn bunny bucks? It sounds... naughty.

--PD
rotfl... well B.Bunny is a hoe and everyone knows it. But dont worry, you dont have to straddle 40 year old sci fi fans to gain some bunny buck 1's.

you earn bunny bucks in several ways. One way to earn it is as a prize for certain contests... The best way to earn it is by playing games. I played board games, if you ask the attendant hell talk to you and tell you what to do... like he gave me some free ones for trying, and hell make deals with you and give you bunny bucks based on
1. the average length of a game (like if you play risk its worth alot of B$)
2. If you won/your placing in the game (people who did better get more)
3. If you play a game for a while and decide to quit (you still get some B$)
4. How many other people are playing with you
5. If your a good sport hell give you some (my friend lost early in a game, and was kind enough to stay and wait for us to finish, so he gave her 20 B$ to go spend)

Bunny bucks are worth about their value in money (although you cant exchange it for real money, and you can only spend it at the connecticon booth) sometimes less sometimes more. The things at the booth cost in B$ about the regular msrp $ amount
Unread 05-10-2006, 10:51 AM   #8
MeilinII
Captain of the KaRei Ship

these BB sound cool.

Make sure you bring a cooler full of food if you don't wanna leave. Food's expensive!!

Finished costumes for 2014:
God Tier John Egbert, Meenah Pexies - Homestuck
Kai Hiwatari - Beyblade 2000
Ness - Earthbound
Team Rocket Grunt, Trainer Red, Pikachu - Pokemon
Itachi, Sasuke - Naruto

Planned costumes for 2014:
Hubert - Tales of Graces F - Planned
Timpani - Super Paper Mario - Planned
MeilinII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
LordAhsayuni
Sasoriza no Onna!

yea its true, food is muy $$$ if ya know what i mean, if you have a hotel, stock up on the continental breakfast... i stole like a bunch of cinnamin rolls and muffins from that and used that for rations.
Unread 05-15-2006, 08:35 AM   #10
MeilinII

Or if you're smart, go to the local grocery and fill your hotel mini-fridge with sandwitch stuff. I brought PB&J, chips and soda in bags/coolers, and i was never hungry!

Ness - Earthbound
Itachi, Sasuke - Naruto

Unread 06-13-2006, 06:48 PM   #11
Philipina Yuna

where is it like what street?
Unread 06-13-2006, 08:41 PM   #12
esantiago7292
humble pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipina Yuna
where is it like what street?
http://www.ctconventions.com/default.asp

thats the website for the con center

www.myspace.com/esantiago7292
- hit me up, yo! :O

It's gunna take a really cool character to get me to start cosplaying again. I'm just stickin around to give advice and whatnot.
esantiago7292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2006, 10:27 PM   #13
-Kitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAhsayuni
yea i dont know, for some reason that whole 'city' seemed kinda deserted to be a city ya know? not lots of people walkin around or anything... and they didnt even have a hotel connected to the con center, although i hear its a possiblility that there will be one this year... but it looks grim for that....
It really has the feel of not really a city persay but more like a large mass of office buildings in one place. The entire place had the feeling of standing outside of an office building after closing/the weekend. I'm guessing its either relatively new, or the cost of living is too insane for too many people to live there, or it really is just nothing but office space and not too many places to actually live.
Unread 06-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #14
Philipina Yuna

thanks for that web site! it helps alot!
Unread 06-15-2006, 09:30 PM   #15
MeilinII

It's just that the apartments arn't in that section of town.

Ness - Earthbound
Itachi, Sasuke - Naruto