Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.96 average.
Unread 04-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
Arktic

Daft Punk Costume - any thoughts?

Hey guys + gals

I've been a fan of costuming for, well forever really. But I've suddenly become a lot more advenurous in terms of the kind of cosume I want to make, and I really have no idea where to start.

I'd really, really like to make a Daft Punk costume - here are a couple of images for those of you who don't know what DP look like:

http://www.galarec.ru/data/foto/b5992.jpg
http://www.wallpaper-land.com/Musiqu...nk7ja3_800.jpg

The one I'm mainly interested in making is the one on the left in both pictures - the silver helmet. The rest of the cosume is easy (just a flamboyant suit and some robot gloves), it's just the helmet that I'm struggling to think of ways to make.

Does anyone with any experience in this kinda thing have any suggestions?

Help would be much appreciated

Cheers,
Arktic.
Arktic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #2
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

First of all, Welcome to Cosplay.com!!! =^.^=

The best place to ask would probably be the props forum. There are some people who have a frightening amount of experience with stuff like this...

Good luck with the costume

~Ari-chan
Unread 04-11-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
Arktic

Cheers for the warm welcome, it's much appreciated!

I'll repost in the props forum, thanks for the advice
Unread 04-11-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
Dia
time for silver jets

Personally, I think this would be the most ridiculously awesome thing ever, and have half been considering it myself for some time. I haven't thought too long on helmet construction yet, but I figure you might could build off a motorcycle helmet or some such? I'm not so sure how you'd go about the LED screen, though. ^^;;

If I manage to come up with anything, I'll let you know! I've been into Daft Punk ever since I stole my brother's copy of Homework years ago, so I'd love to see this happen.
Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2006, 10:23 AM   #5
ADDBunnyOfDoom
Jess Jezzz

There's a guy who was at ACen last year (I've seen him at a few other cons, too) with that costume. I don't know how he got that helemt, but I have heard rumors it cost some exorbotent amount of money. >_<
Unread 04-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #6
Unknowbie
Unregistered User!

Cardboard and Tinfoil!
Unknowbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2006, 11:53 AM   #7
eggy
Boiled and ready to go!

this might sound a little lame, but what about paper mache? i saw a pic online some where of a mega man helmet. it looked reallly good!

by the way, daft punk always wears a helmet?? 0_0 i didn't know that...
eggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2006, 08:08 PM   #8
Arktic

Hehehe, they wear them for press photos and stuff, and before the robot helmets they wore an assortment of different masks.

But at live gigs, it really wouldn't be practical for them to wear costume, as they'd die of overheating (and wouldn't be able to see the mixers etc properly, let alone use them!).

Cheers,
Arktic.
Unread 02-21-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
PsalmLove

OooOoOh, from the very depths of death, I command thee, thread arise!!

Just registered here because I wanted to make a V for Vendetta costume, but the Guy-Man helmet is my ultimate dream. Any updates on your search?

Anyone have any ideas how to craft the shiny fishbowl glass-like part on the helmet? It looks really really shiny, can acrylic or plastic be that shiny? I highly doubt it's glass...

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3873/129761qj8.jpg

in this second pic:

http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/6664/274956cp9.jpg

the fishbowl part looks almost gold, almost like oakley lenses >_<

Last edited by PsalmLove : 02-22-2007 at 12:40 AM.
Unread 02-24-2007, 09:00 PM   #10
Greystar

I'm looking at making the gold one, but it wouldn't be easy to do it properly. The electronics are the easy bit. Getting a tinted plexi into that shape boggles my mind, but I'm also not any sort of expert at such matters.

The rest could be done with vacuum formed plastic on a modified motorcycle helmet (I'd use the type where the whole front hinges upwards
(like this: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...pv-modular.gif
http://motorcyclecruiser.com/accesso...F-HJC-open.JPG)

From the few things I've dug up about them on the net they are modified motorcycle helmets, which is why I say go that route. The company that made them for Daft Punk will make you one, but it will run you a cool $14,000 plus licensing fees to Daft Punk.

Quote:
Anyone have any ideas how to craft the shiny fishbowl glass-like part on the helmet? It looks really really shiny, can acrylic or plastic be that shiny? I highly doubt it's glass...
It looks like tinted plexi with a coating applied. The coating doesn't seem to be there in all of the pics, so I wouldn't consider it vital to the costume, cool sure.

Last edited by Greystar : 02-25-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Greystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 03:11 PM   #11
daguru
(SebastiAn Remix)

You don't need to form "tinted" plexiglass when the plexiglass is already colored.

I have been working on my DP helmet for several months now. My helmet positive is nearly finished and I've been planning to do it in vacuform plastic. I made a quick one-use throw-away helmet (in fiberglass) for ohayocon because my vacu-table was acting up:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=953850

I have been planning to finish my helmets (both Guy and Thomas) in plastic, but I recently found a way to put chrome on fiberglass. I will be using this method because there is no way to achieve the same look with the plastic. TRUST ME, there is no way to achieve it in plastic. My failed ideas:

1. Spraying "chrome" spraypaint on the inside. It does not form the cruddy-reflective surface when it dries like that. You're better off spraying it on the outside (btw, these "chrome" spraypaints SUCK)

2. Internal "silvering" or "mirroring" sprays or chemicals. These only work on real glass. Plexiglass does not have a high-enough polish.

The only possible method with plastic is to vacuum-metalize it, which is VERY expensive and all metallizers would NEVER do such a small order.

Note to self: "Napalm sticks to babies" is not a good campaign slogan
daguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 03:47 PM   #12
PsalmLove

That rocks daguru ^___^

All resources and tutorials I've managed to find online seem to say that the original helmets were made from modified motorcycle helmets. You seem to have cast yours from a custom mold, that's awesome...

Do you have any tuts online or could you possibly point me to the direction of tutorials for casting helmets? The main difficulty I see in making a Guy-Man helmet is the plexi part. It covers so much of his head. I wonder how they formed it.
Unread 03-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #13
Greystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by daguru View Post
You don't need to form "tinted" plexiglass when the plexiglass is already colored.
I was referring to colored aka tinted plexi.
Greystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #14
daguru
(SebastiAn Remix)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsalmLove View Post
That rocks daguru ^___^

All resources and tutorials I've managed to find online seem to say that the original helmets were made from modified motorcycle helmets. You seem to have cast yours from a custom mold, that's awesome...

Do you have any tuts online or could you possibly point me to the direction of tutorials for casting helmets? The main difficulty I see in making a Guy-Man helmet is the plexi part. It covers so much of his head. I wonder how they formed it.
I'm in the proccess of writing my own tutorials. I don't have any idea when I'll get them finished *cough* upload them.

Well, I made my Thomas helmet positive (along with all of my other masks/helmets) from scratch and Zasshu made Guy.

I didn't grow my molding knowledge through tutorials, so I don't really know of any other than what they have at http://www.bioweapons.com/

When I tried forming Guy's visor on the table, I was using 1/8 colored acrylic (because I couldn't find any 1/16) and it didn't work at all. But the 1/16 would be ideal. What I'm probably gonna end up doing is just casting my own visor using clear FBG resin and a special tint.
What I'll probably be doing:
1. make a regular styrene vacuform of the visor.
2. pour silicone on the inside (or outside. could go either way) of it to pick up it's polished luster
3. pour plasti-paste or plaster to hold the silicone in it's shape
4. remove the styrene and make the visor with the clear resin on the silicone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystar
I was referring to colored aka tinted plexi.
Okay. Sorry. Well, then it would carry the same amount of difficulty with regular clear plexi. If you are vacuforming, I would try 1/16 acrylic. Anything thicker than that just won't conform/stretch to the extreme shape

Note to self: "Napalm sticks to babies" is not a good campaign slogan
daguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2007, 11:47 PM   #15
geckochan

If I saw a pair of people dressed as Daft Punk walking around a con, it would totally make my day. The robot heads are super rad looking too.
(Someday I'd like to do Stella from Interstella 5555)

That wasn't very helpful to you, I just wanted to put my 5 cents in on how cool it would be.
geckochan is offline   Reply With Quote