Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 4.96 average.
Unread 09-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #256
AirVee
Failure at Cosplay...

Did anyone ever work out the DIY Chroming?
I'm making a Guy-Man/Deadmau5 head and I was hoping to chrome it. Just wondering which brand of Chrome Spray paint would be best and what color primer should I use, white black or Silver?
Alter!Saver (Prototype)
Enkidu (Strange Fake)

AX 2014
Lancer (Prototype)
Shirou Kotomine (Apocrypha)
Archer (Stay Night)
AirVee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-09-2011, 03:07 AM   #257
PetiteAltesse

Hey there guys! My fiance recently finished my Daft Punk helmet for me and I absolutely love it. I have photos of it up, as well as a couple of WIP shots, if you want to have a look. Let me know what you think. C:

Quote:
AirVee
Did anyone ever work out the DIY Chroming?
I'm making a Guy-Man/Deadmau5 head and I was hoping to chrome it. Just wondering which brand of Chrome Spray paint would be best and what color primer should I use, white black or Silver?
In regards to this, when we painted mine, we used a gray sandable primer and it worked wonderfully. We found it at Walmart so it shouldn't cost too much. As for chroming, if you want spray paint... none are really going to come close to the real deal. For my fiance's Captain Hook costume he bought an expensive "chrome" spray paint and... it ended up being a sparkly gray. Looked good and all, but no chrome. You may have to send it somewhere to get it chromed.

Last edited by PetiteAltesse : 09-09-2011 at 05:50 PM.
PetiteAltesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #258
AirVee
Failure at Cosplay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteAltesse View Post

In regards to this, when we painted mine, we used a gray sandable primer and it worked wonderfully. We found it at Walmart so it shouldn't cost too much. As for chroming, if you want spray paint... none are really going to come close to the real deal. For my fiance's Captain Hook costume he bought an expensive "chrome" spray paint and... it ended up being a sparkly gray. Looked good and all, but no chrome. You may have to send it somewhere to get it chromed.
I don't want it to be too shiny. Just a teeny bit reflective. Thank you
Alter!Saver (Prototype)
Enkidu (Strange Fake)

AX 2014
Lancer (Prototype)
Shirou Kotomine (Apocrypha)
Archer (Stay Night)
AirVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #259
PetiteAltesse

Oh, I see... hm. Well then, in regards to the spray paint we got, it has a bit of a shine. It was listed as "mirror shine spray paint" and... well, it's not a mirror shine, haha! But it's got nice little shine too it. Nothing chrome or reflective though.

Here's a picture of his Hook costume as an example:
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...d4-d3km3as.jpg

If that's not what you want then you'll have to Google some paints or check around at hobby stores. Otherwise, sending it somewhere is a good choice (though more expensive I would imagine). I also really liked your design for GuyMau5. I faved it on dA. You're a really good artist.

And no problem. I like to help where I can. C:

Last edited by PetiteAltesse : 09-09-2011 at 08:01 PM.
PetiteAltesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #260
nikkiboyss
Banned

Reply To Topic

Appears wonderful!
nikkiboyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #261
Arktic

So, apologies to necro this thread and all, but six years since I last posted here at Cosplay.com, and seven years since I started this thread, I am finally the proud owner of this beauty -

http://i.imgur.com/frFG3Pz.gif

http://i.imgur.com/Dc7CBZdl.jpg

I actually came across this thread whilst googling for other bits and pieces for my new Random Access Memories inspired Daft Punk costume!

I wrote a complete build thread for the helmet on a Daft Punk fansite, which you can read here. I bought the cast from eBay, installed the electronics and chromed it using airbrush paint at home.

I enjoyed the process so much that I'm now starting out scratch building Guy-Man's helmet too.

So, basically, what I came here to say is: don't ever give up on your cosplay dreams. It might take more than half a decade, but you'll get there eventually!
Arktic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 11:15 PM   #262
Tyhm000
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirVee View Post
I don't want it to be too shiny. Just a teeny bit reflective. Thank you
Krylon Brilliant Chrome is pretty bloody shiny. Like the silverest silver car that isn't actually mirror chrome shiny. Just need the surface to be perfectly smooth first.
Tyhm000 is offline   Reply With Quote