Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 03-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #16
Greystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by daguru View Post
Okay. Sorry. Well, then it would carry the same amount of difficulty with regular clear plexi. If you are vacuforming, I would try 1/16 acrylic. Anything thicker than that just won't conform/stretch to the extreme shape
No problem, simple misunderstanding.

What about forming the front of the on on the left in this pic:
http://static.last.fm/proposedimages...530/183905.jpg?

Since it's just a bubble I can't imagine it would be as bad with 1/8"? The reason I'm thinking about using a thicker plastic is for durability.
Greystar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2007, 06:15 PM   #17
Greystar

Oh also, chroming plastic:

http://mmmetalizing.com/pricing.html

Their prices listed didn't seem too bad, I haven't contacted them to get a better idea, but if you're looking at getting the helmet chromed check them out. I foudn them with a quick google for "chrome plastic", so I'm sure there are other companies that will do small orders.
Greystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #18
Omigawd

If I were to try to make Thomas' helmet from a motorcycle helmet (or any other type) any suggestions what exact helmet I could start from?
Omigawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #19
daguru
(SebastiAn Remix)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omigawd View Post
If I were to try to make Thomas' helmet from a motorcycle helmet (or any other type) any suggestions what exact helmet I could start from?
I'd recommend any that fully encloses your head. Try searching for motorcycle helmets on ebay, because I doubt any thrift shops or re-use centers will carry those.

Speaking of DP helmets, I continued my Thomas helmet and I'm almost done. I'll be getting it as smooth as possible, then casting it into fiberglass. I'll send it off to a vacuum metalizer to "chrome" it. Hopefully it'll be back before the DP concert coming up.

Note to self: "Napalm sticks to babies" is not a good campaign slogan
daguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #20
Arktic

!!!

I saw Daft Punk live last night, in Hyde Park at the Wireless Festival. Oh my god, they were amazing. Probably THE BEST GIG I HAVE EVER BEEN TO. The crowd was amazing, the tunes were amazing, the lighting was incredible, the atmosphere was fantastic.... oh man, it was one of the best experiences of my life.

I'd given up making my DP costume for a while, mostly because I ended up moving house and various other things came between me and my hobbies for a while. BUT, having seen them live, I totally know what my halloween costume is going to be this year - this:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8...a5efe4cng1.jpg

Once they'd finished their set, they came back on stage wearing these altered costumes - they looked amazing. The encore they played was FANTASTIC, really really great stuff. But yeah, I think that these costumes will be slightly easier to make, as I won't have to worry about chroming the helmet - just plaint it matte black and add some red light strips.

I'll post back once it's finished

Cheers,
Arktic.
Arktic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2007, 10:47 PM   #21
Urzu7

the helmets cost $65,000 u.s.
Urzu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 10:26 AM   #22
MrDue

I to have been to Daft Punk and i have to say ...

Oh My Freaking God !!! could it be any more awsome !?!
Btw they did wheir their mask during their whole perfomence O_o

I have also been thinking of making a DP costume (both of them for me and a buddy of mine) but we got a lot of things on our cosplay agenda...
Unread 07-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #23
Proletariat

Just some info

I too, became enamored with the idea of a Daft Punk costume. A quick google search turned up this thread. After reading it, I'm convinced that it is a foolish idea for me to even think about attempting such a thing, having none of the needed knowledge. However, I can contribute this helpful tidbit to any seeking to build one of the helmets. This is a pdf released by the manufacturer of the original helmets containing a basic explanation of how the helmets were made:

http://www.ledeffects.com/documents/...nk_helmets.pdf

I will never return to this forum or thread. I only signed up to provide the link above. Best of luck to all who try.
Proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 08:24 PM   #24
Brucer420

I've been pondering the though of making Guy Manuel's Helmet. Just what IS the EASIEST way to make one. I can't vacuform , sculpt it from clay , or afford the 65k helmets.

How the heck do you even make the visor for that thing??

(new here , sorry if I broke any rules)
Brucer420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 11:06 PM   #25
tiger7rb

how about....

would using a paintball mask work?
tiger7rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #26
Brucer420

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger7rb View Post
would using a paintball mask work?
I dont think so. It needs to be a motorcycle helmet or something for all I know. but yeah. I need to know a way to make Guy Manuel's hemlet.
Brucer420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 11:26 PM   #27
khaotic

Okay, so I've been trying to come up with a way to make Thomas' helmet (the silver one). Basically here is what I have come up with. Keep in mind I'm trying to keep this cheap.

So essentially, has no one else noticed how his helmet is basically the shape of a baseball helmet? $5 at Wal-Mart. The ear pieces? Cut off the tops of pop cans. Now I KNOW this isn't exact, but for the price? Can't beat it. Scrolling red LED? They sell them all over the internet. Belt buckles wtf. So my main problem lies within making the face mask. The visor can be done with a sheet of thin clear bendable plastic (use your imagination, I'm sure you can find some) Then applying some peel on tint (the cheap kind you can get for your car windows, etc.). So essentially my main concern came with making the face mask. I tried to come up with something, but couldn't. I looked into fiberglass, but it seems kinda messy, and I don't really know how to do that... however it is still a possibility. Also, a friend of mine was recently working on storm trooper armor, and is therefore somewhat familiar with vacuum forming. My last concern is the paint. My only idea right now was to prime everything, sand it, put on chrome paint, and clear coat it. (Although I'm intrigued by that chrome plating deal...). I'm really hoping to pull this off by Halloween, so any help would be appreciated.

Also, the gloves would probably be done the same way I end up doing the mask, either Fiberglass or Vacuum formed.

My last thought was on their outfits. Have any of you seen the Daft Punk logo on the back? At the concert I went to, they lit up red (which was amazing) and I'd really like to replicate that, but I have NO ideas on how so far. Otherwise I'm just gunna put it on some other way, and not have it light up.

I hope this was helpful, I'll be checking back.
khaotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2007, 07:36 PM   #28
jonnyd1981

Hey guys

Okay new to this, I have been working on how to make my Daft Punk Helmet once again i am making the silver helmet. I have thought for ages on how to make the mask and finally started work on it last week. I have made a form of it from Pottery Clay its not perfect but its a close match. From here i am going to mask the whole mask in masking tape to stop the fiberglass from sticking to the clay. From here i am going to fiberglass the whole form with small strips of fiberglass at a time don't rush this, take your time and do it piece by piece will make for a better finish. Once i have finished i am going to use a car filler to cover the fiber glass once again slow and bit by bit is best. once you are happy that the whole mask is coverd with filler in the shape you want sand it all down and smooth it out. you will find this helps you to get the perfect shape. Foe the visor i am going to use a piece of tinted plexi glass and cut to fit. then ill use a primer then chrome paint and a clear varnish. the lights i am using a led belt buckle you can get on ebay and a couple of simple flashing led lights.

I have already done the jacket i used an old leather jacket like the one they wear. I bought a few glow wire strips again on ebay. I outlined the wording with chalk on the back of the jacket and the pain stakingly stitched the glow wire around the shape of the words.

That is what i have come up with so far i will keep you posted with my progress and hopefully a few pics.

Here is a pic of the jacket before i put the battery packs inside the jacket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dpunk jacket.jpg (46.4 KB, 0 views)
jonnyd1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 01:31 AM   #29
daguru
(SebastiAn Remix)

Okay. I've mustered up as much perfection as I can and pout it into my Thomas helmet sculpture. I just can't transfer that level of quality over to a fiberglass copy. During one of my silicone casting stages, the helmet was actually SO SMOOTH that the silicone actually slid off while it was curing >_<

So I'm just gonna end up wearing my actual helmet prototype and hope it doesn't brake.

I also decided to do the encore outfits aka the "Tron outfits" that they've started to use recently. Gonna throw a lot of money at that.

Note to self: "Napalm sticks to babies" is not a good campaign slogan
daguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 11:27 PM   #30
Hyde Coulter

Does anyone have any more pictures of the "Encore Outfits" preferably Guy Manuel de Homem-Christo's? I think I have a good idea on how to obtain that effect, then doing the LED Helmets for now.

Oh by the way I found this RAH (Real Action Hero) Figure of Guy, It's Labeled the 'Human After All' Ver. I'm sure this figure would be perfect to get a precise DP cosplay. Other info I have on it, It's the RAH-266. Even if not for Cosplay I'm sure any fan would want a Mini-Guy. (There's also a Thomas one too)

DP RAH Figure
Hyde Coulter is offline   Reply With Quote