Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 09-17-2007, 02:39 AM   #61
r.bot

Hey guys, I stumbled upon this thread and it has inspired me to make a DP helmet of my own. Right now, I am collecting all the materials I am going to need for Thomas Bangalter's helmet.
But what I am wondering is what people have used for the tinted visor? I was thinking of buying this full face visor and cutting it to shape:
http://i10.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/a7/8e/fd51_1_b.JPG

But there has to be other things I can use. Do they sell peices of plexi-glass anywhere for cheaper? And is plexi-glass tinted the same way as regular glass? Thanks
r.bot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2007, 08:53 AM   #62
daguru
(SebastiAn Remix)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanlike View Post
Anybody considered making their own Daft Punk themed design? Seems like more fun and if done right will still fit in well. I haven't seen anything like this yet.
I have, actually. I've been working on a robot helmet that I would wear for my band and it's almost done

Note to self: "Napalm sticks to babies" is not a good campaign slogan
daguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #63
aperson
French Space Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.bot View Post
Hey guys, I stumbled upon this thread and it has inspired me to make a DP helmet of my own. Right now, I am collecting all the materials I am going to need for Thomas Bangalter's helmet.
But what I am wondering is what people have used for the tinted visor? I was thinking of buying this full face visor and cutting it to shape:
http://i10.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/a7/8e/fd51_1_b.JPG

But there has to be other things I can use. Do they sell peices of plexi-glass anywhere for cheaper? And is plexi-glass tinted the same way as regular glass? Thanks
I used a tinted visor from my old paintball mask. I had to cut it down a little, but the curve and tint were perfect. Just check any paintball site for a cheap replacement visor.
aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 08:11 PM   #64
aperson
French Space Robot

Alright. I am complete!!!!!

I will be posting my materials pictures soon. I decided I'm holding off on the finished product pics until after Vegoose (if your going, you can see it in person, just PM me).
Unread 09-28-2007, 12:13 AM   #65
sailorsether

This is how the helmets were made in brief.

Here is how the helmets were made:
1. A model shop cast the face of the musician. This was used to create a bust which was
used as a template for the design.
2. The next step was to modify a motorcycle helmet. The body was cut away to allow for
cables and electronics. Two pin holes were provided so the wearer could see out.
3. Clay models were created for all the unique parts. This included a back pack and an arm
band controller.
4. Electronic displays were designed using prototype PC board materials.
5. The LED display panels were assembled by placing each LED one-by-one into a plastic
sheet and glued into place. Each LED required three feet of wiring to connect it to power
and control circuitry. The finished panel was bolted to the helmet frame.
6. The LED cabling was routed around the “ears” of the helmet and out the back. The
helmet cables led down to the backpack where the main controller board was located.
7. The system was originally powered by batteries, but this was later switched over to a
power cord system.
8. The control keypad on the armband was a custom manufactured PC board.
9. Exterior plastic molding and finishing materials were custom manufactured by a special
effects studio to complete the helmet. Once these pieces were added, the helmet details
were touched up with paint.
sailorsether is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 12:32 AM   #66
daft or bust

I took to heart Aperson's post regarding the cheap and simple method of making a cheap and simple TB helmet. And to his credit, it was very cheap and simple. I've posted one picture with my results after a few hours of work and I'll be posting a few more once they get resized. I highly recommend this approach to anyone looking for quick results. Just ask and I'll guide.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1281592
daft or bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #67
bmayotte

Okay, so I have read this thread many times and waiting for more posts, there were some of you who said you were making hero robot # 2, I was wondering if any of you had anything done yet. I am working on hero robot #2 and so far all my methods have not worked out so well, so just trying to see what others have done to make them.
bmayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #68
aperson
French Space Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by daft or bust View Post
I took to heart Aperson's post regarding the cheap and simple method of making a cheap and simple TB helmet. And to his credit, it was very cheap and simple. I've posted one picture with my results after a few hours of work and I'll be posting a few more once they get resized. I highly recommend this approach to anyone looking for quick results. Just ask and I'll guide.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1281592
Excellent Job man!! very well done! Definitely keep me posted, I am very interested to see the final result. I would go to a local welding supply store and pick up a black tinted eye shield. I found one that was made as a clip-on accessory for a hard had that was the perfect tint and angle. I just trimmed it a bit and it fit perfectly in my visor.
Unread 10-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #69
muse36
Muse36

so l

Last edited by muse36 : 10-03-2007 at 08:22 PM.
muse36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #70
muse36
Muse36

**EDIT**
so actually i just looked more into this cosplay and seriously this is the coolest shit ever, I have never heard of this before either. I would of thought I would have heard something like this being the fact I study fashion design. I stumbled across this because I wanted to be guy for Halloween when I go to vegoose. i am determined to now make guy's helmet. The costuming I will have no problem with but I really want to make guy's helmet. Anyone take a crack at that yet??
Unread 10-03-2007, 09:11 PM   #71
aperson
French Space Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse36 View Post
**EDIT**
so actually i just looked more into this cosplay and seriously this is the coolest shit ever, I have never heard of this before either. I would of thought I would have heard something like this being the fact I study fashion design. I stumbled across this because I wanted to be guy for Halloween when I go to vegoose. i am determined to now make guy's helmet. The costuming I will have no problem with but I really want to make guy's helmet. Anyone take a crack at that yet??
Check Zasshu's phot gallery to see his progress. We should meet up at vegoose Guy and Thomas walking around might just incite a riot, haha.
Unread 10-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #72
muse36
Muse36

i have never used these forms of mediums nor have i used vaccumform? i not even sure what that is. I guess i'll start by designing the actual outfit and gloves cus that i know how to do. THIS helmet is gonna be more work than i probably ever suspected. any pointers?
Unread 10-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #73
muse36
Muse36

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
Check Zasshu's phot gallery to see his progress. We should meet up at vegoose Guy and Thomas walking around might just incite a riot, haha.

yes that would probably cause a riot and that is what i am looking to do
Unread 10-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #74
Kortronovitch

Hey everyone. I've been reading this thread for awhile, and thanks to all of your help am well on my way to my own thomas mask. The one area I am having big problems with is the chin/jaw area under the visor. I've been looking at paintball masks, but none of them really look at all like Thomas. His mask portion is just wider and smoother than anything I've found so far. Any tips?

Also, to anyone with a complete costume, are you putting anything between where the jacket ends and the helmet begins to cover up any skin? You can sort of see what I am talking about in this picture. That might be going a tad overboard I guess.

Anyway, for those still building, I used a chrome helmet I found on ebay for the main part and a replacement snowmobile helmet lens for the visor. I used an LED belt buckle inside and clay molds plastered, epoxyed and painted for the ears (btw, chrome spraypaint is not even close to matching real chrome). Good luck all.
Kortronovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #75
daguru
(SebastiAn Remix)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kortronovitch View Post
Also, to anyone with a complete costume, are you putting anything between where the jacket ends and the helmet begins to cover up any skin? You can sort of see what I am talking about in this picture. That might be going a tad overboard I guess.
Overboard? Isn't it essential? Thomas and Guy shouldn't have skin... except in Electroma. A simple hooded unershirt or hood would be fine to have underneath.

Note to self: "Napalm sticks to babies" is not a good campaign slogan
daguru is offline   Reply With Quote