Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Weekend Atlanta

Unread 04-16-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
PatrickD
As seen in Dramacon vol 2

Zoom Zoom! Flying to AWA.

Some friends and I will be flying down to AWA from the northeast. I was wondering if anyone knew what some of the options are to get from the airport to the hotel and what each might cost?
Use AnimeCons.com and the AnimeCons.com Forums to find anime cons near you!
PatrickD is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
Draculina
~ devine your destiny! ~

IMO, your best bet would be to plan on renting a car. The airport is in south Atlanta, outside of the city. The con is way out in Vinings, which is northwest Atlanta, also outside of the city. Unfortunately, MARTA (public transit like the T) dosen't travel all the way out to Vinings (at least, to my knowledge, unless you want to ride a bus).

Atlanta's public transit system is pretty pitiful compared to Boston

Hartsfield is HUGE and I know for sure they have several rental car companies right in the terminal including Enterprise which is pretty reliable (my dad has used them when he's come to see me). If you rented the cheapest "economy" car, you could tentitavely plan to pay somewhere in the ballpark of $25-35 a day plus gas mileage. That could be split up if you're travelling in a group. Plus, you'd have a way to leave the con center if you needed to get a meal, ect.

Next step is getting from Hartsfield to Vinings. Anyone on here from ATL can attest to the evilness of Atlanta traffic and drivers (much worse than Boston), so you will want to plan your road-trip from the airport to the con around peak traffic hours. You'd be looking at maybe a 45-60 min. drive depending on the time of day, and you'd be travelling on I285 which is a fairly large and busy highway but very easy to access.

When it gets closer to the con, you're welcome to PM me and I can help you w/ driving directions...
Shae (A Song of Ice and Fire: A Storm of Swords)
Morrigan: Sacred Ashes Variant (Dragon Age:Origins)
Asa Shigure (Shuffle!: Really? Really!)
Smuggler (Star Wars: The Old Republic)

The trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun- Mark Twain
Draculina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #3
WoggyWooWoo
Kind of a big deal

You've probably seen this, but I'll post it just in case (besides, it might be helpful to others who look at this thread):
http://www.awa-con.com/index.php?id=68

If you go to Hartsfield-Jackson's website ( http://www.atlanta-airport.com/ ), they have a section about transporation, and it gives rental car info, shuttle info and taxi pricing.
WoggyWooWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2006, 12:45 AM   #4
Hart

Wow...flying in jsut for AWA...thats what i would like to call dedicated~ Hope to see you guys there~
Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
PatrickD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart
Wow...flying in jsut for AWA...thats what i would like to call dedicated~ Hope to see you guys there~
It's not the first anime con I've flown to...
It will be the 17th, if I'm counting correctly.
(16th if I don't bother with Otakon.)
Unread 04-21-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
ladysubaru25
Karaoke Queen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickD
Some friends and I will be flying down to AWA from the northeast. I was wondering if anyone knew what some of the options are to get from the airport to the hotel and what each might cost?
I would definitely go in on a rental car with you... ask Jekka if she and Nami wouldn't mind as well next time you get a chance talk to her online.

We rented a car when we were out in Vegas, and it IS really convenient when you want to travel away from your general location...

I was laid over at Hartsfield-Jackson just a few days ago on my way back from Vegas (stupid security breach.... @#*$!!) and there is a bunch of rental car places advertised there, just like any ol' airport. We *could* probably get some sort of ground transportation courtesy of the hotel. I did that a few times in the past when I've flown places for work.

PS: The wireless internet signals at HJ bite the big one...
Unread 04-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
PatrickD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysubaru25
I would definitely go in on a rental car with you... ask Jekka if she and Nami wouldn't mind as well next time you get a chance talk to her online.
Jekka and I will probably book airline tickets next week when I visit. (I believe the current plan would be for us to fly out of Boston together.) We can see what kind of rates are offered then.
Unread 04-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #8
ladysubaru25
Karaoke Queen...

Quote:
Jekka and I will probably book airline tickets next week when I visit.
That sounds like good business, my friend.

A lot of times, you can get some pretty sweet deals on rental cars if you book them together with plane tickets and such...

PS: I'll be flying out of Philly... as usual...
Unread 04-21-2006, 09:14 PM   #9
PatrickD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysubaru25
PS: I'll be flying out of Philly... as usual...
I'd imagine that there are enough Philly->ATL flights that you'd be able to find one that arrived close to the same time as our flight.

As for Nami, still need to do some convincing on that girl.
Unread 04-21-2006, 09:44 PM   #10
Jekka
such a friggin uke

Quote:
Jekka and I will probably book airline tickets next week when I visit. (I believe the current plan would be for us to fly out of Boston together.) We can see what kind of rates are offered then.
Subaru, Pat and I will be drinking good old Sapporo beer in Oodori-koen and thinking of you. Nyohohoho!!!

If Nami comes, I'm sure she won't mind the car. And that just means we can get out to get groceries and stuff if we need to. Food is the only thing that makes me leave a con. XD
Jekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #11
ladysubaru25
Karaoke Queen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekka
Subaru, Pat and I will be drinking good old Sapporo beer in Oodori-koen and thinking of you. Nyohohoho!!!
WAAAAH!! I want to be there with you guys too!!!
Drink one for your homies back in the States, K?

Speaking of food... (YAY FOOD!) I don't remember seeing a list of nearby places to eat on the AWA website. Maybe I didn't look close enough.

Can any of you who have been to AWA before suggest some places to get food during the con? I have never been here before, and do NOT know my way around Atlanta (except for the airport... LOL!)
Unread 04-22-2006, 04:29 PM   #12
WoggyWooWoo
Kind of a big deal

The only place I know of is Cumberland Mall (across the street, right past the Sheraton). It has the standard mall food court fare: Chick-fil-a, Great Wraps, Chinese place, pizza place, etc. There's also a Subway stand and a chinese (I think, never ate there) place in the convention center. You could also get the number of a pizza place, and have them deliver it to the hotel.

Might be some other places a short drive away. Never bothered to go that far, though.
WoggyWooWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 06:57 PM   #13
DalaiLiam
Fauxtographer

Woggy pretty much nailed it. I want to think there's a bar or two in that area too. It's been a while since I actually went there. My dad lived in the area before I moved up here so it was manditory that I ate with him when I came up for cons... I'm pretty sure there's an Applebees or O'charlies right near there though.
Unread 04-24-2006, 09:37 PM   #14
Neko-Ryu_Lander
Lander Dragon God of Rock

there is a ton of stuff around the galleria, in fact the CCT has a stop there, so they should be able to take the MARTA train to the bus stop that connects to CCT just check www.marta.com. behind the Sears at cumberland is the MARTA to CCT connector so its a short walk to the Galleria from there so they dont even have to get on CCT.
Self-Proclamed Queen of Crossplay
Krystal Davis
Zander Dragon God of Rock
Neko-Ryu_Lander is offline   Reply With Quote