Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 04-22-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
SolarTempest
.: Photographer :.

Wacom Tablet - Graphire4

I ordered a Wacom Graphire4 6x8 tablet a few days ago and waiting for it to come in the mail... hopefully on monday it will arrive. Anybody else here using a tablet for their photo work? (particularly dual monitor)

Two of my photographer friends have the older Graphire2 4x6's and rave how great they are to use.

flickr.com/photos/solartempest
Facebook: solartempestphotography
-Email me for shoots!

:2014 Planned Conventions:
Katsucon, Con-G, MTAC, Colossal Con, Otakuthon, FanExpo, Youmacon,
SolarTempest is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
Tenucha
☣Biohazard Redfield

I have a Wacom tablet... I have had it for a few years so it's older.
I dont have duel monitors however.
I'm a left handed artist so I use it to draw and do Photoshop work... so it's alot easier for me to use then trying to draw and so on with my right hand on a mouse :P

I used the tablet for my new avatar
Tenucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
SolarTempest

Left handed? Awesome!

I'm also a lefty, enslaved by the right-handed computing world. I've been doing computer graphics/illustration for so long that I don't find right-handed mice bad to use, but I think this new tool should let me do things a lot faster.

Do you still use your mouse often? I have a feeling I'll still use mine a lot because of the programmable buttons and for gaming. I have this big feeling that the mouse that comes with the tablet is pretty terrible anyway.

-Email me for shoots!

Unread 04-22-2006, 07:01 PM   #4
natsukoarts
wanker? yes, please...

I have one as well, use it for illustration and colouring comic book panels mostly. But also for animation backgrounds, layering, characters, over backgrounds, over mouth movement for talking.

was originally left handed but mommy frowned against it, so i had to learn and be right-handed; so now am ambi -can write in both left and right
aUSA sanzo. trowa. jessie (poke-crack). ghetto-suzu. yuki.

Last edited by natsukoarts : 04-29-2006 at 10:08 PM.
natsukoarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
Atrista
Dangerously Cheesy

I have one, and I like it alot. It's the older model, but it's very useful.
Complete: Tear (Tales of the Abyss) Mitsuru (Persona 3) Mitsuru Persona 3 Aigis Persona 3 Xianghua Soul Calibur 3 3 Alicia Valkyrie Profile 2 Lydie Erlanger Castlevania: HOD Ayame Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven Albus & Shanoa from Castlevania OoE

Upcoming....Judith from Tales of Vesperia[/size]

Senior Editor at GameSkinny.com - Hey Gamer, Get Heard!
Atrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 10:24 PM   #6
Tenucha
☣Biohazard Redfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTempest
Left handed? Awesome!

I'm also a lefty, enslaved by the right-handed computing world. I've been doing computer graphics/illustration for so long that I don't find right-handed mice bad to use, but I think this new tool should let me do things a lot faster.
I actually move faster then the highest speed setting XD Oops! hehe...
So that's the only downside is that the pen doesn't match my hand speed.

Do you still use your mouse often? I have a feeling I'll still use mine a lot because of the programmable buttons and for gaming. I have this big feeling that the mouse that comes with the tablet is pretty terrible anyway.
I only use the tablet in Photoshop when workin with brushes or anything that doesn't involve adjusting sliders and so on. :P

Otherwise I work with a mouse since that's the norm for today. *sigh*
I actually can't imagine a left hande dmouse anymore... especially when I can multi-task by writing notes with my left and scrolling webpages or whatever with my right! :P

I'm actually gettng to be pretty ombidextious (sp?).
Alot of the martial arts I been taking are right hand oriented... so all my teachers say I have an advantage being left handed becasue alot of student need to learn to use ther eleft side... meanwhile leftys generally have control over there right side being in a right hand oriented world.

Last edited by Tenucha : 04-22-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Tenucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2006, 12:29 AM   #7
Shizzo

I use a tablet too! It's also a couple of years old but I just love it to death. I've had training and education in the fine arts prior to any photography experience, so using a tablet was a very comfortable transition. It's so great for getting in there and editing out skin imperfections like acne and wrinkles.
Shizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2006, 12:45 AM   #8
SolarTempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenucha
I actually move faster then the highest speed setting XD Oops! hehe... So that's the only downside is that the pen doesn't match my hand speed.
I just read the technical specifications and it turns out that the Intuous tablets have double the reporting rate (speed) as the Graphire tablets. They didn't really mention that in their product features...

The multi-tasking pen+mouse combination sounds pretty good. I guess we have the advantage of not having to move the tablet out of the way when we want to use our normal mice.

This is awesome though, I didn't realize that tablets were so popular.

-Email me for shoots!

Unread 04-23-2006, 05:05 AM   #9
Sav

I got one about 2 years ago. I usually use it for sketchs when iam bored though. It's a Intuos 3 I really enjoy the pressure ranges "gives more of a feel" when using brushes and a more neat effect. I'am also left handed and the problem i've found with it is the buttons and zoom/slide bar things is on the left side of the tablet(gets super annoying). When I first got it when I moved up to draw on the top part of the tablet my hand would brush over the zoom in/out slide bar and get really annoying and had to end up disabling it in the opinions. Yes the mouse does suck! I don't think i've ever really tried to use it besides the one time, your better of using a gaming mouse over it. It does take awhile to get use to though when I first got mine I was more into drawing so the paper to using a tablet was abit difficult to get use to. But over time you'll end up having alot more control over photoshop than before.
Sav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2006, 12:09 PM   #10
Snamok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTempest
I ordered a Wacom Graphire4 6x8 tablet a few days ago and waiting for it to come in the mail... hopefully on monday it will arrive. Anybody else here using a tablet for their photo work? (particularly dual monitor)
I actually have the exact same model, and yup, I use it in a dual monitor setup. Mine is a laptop hooked into a much larger external monitor though, so I use that one monitor for photo editing and the laptop one to chat and so on.

I don't use it for photo work terribly much, mostly paints, but I'm typically painting with reference so having a side-by-side in the process definitely helps.

I really don't need two monitors, though.
Snamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2006, 02:15 PM   #11
Drngd Kreationz

Wow, I guess I'll join the club. I'm also a left handed and use my tablet (graphire 3 4x6) for the left side, and use a trackball on the right hand side. I will say I've been spoiled since I have gotten one. I use my tablet for pretty much everything photoshop. and my trackball for everything else.
Drngd Kreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #12
silentspace

I have a wacom as well. They are in invaluable asset for any kind of graphics work, especially on dual monitor system so that you can put your photoshop tools/layers on the side and not have to think about them obstructing your view. Also, wacom pens are much more intuitive than using a mouse (the pressure sensitivity alone is worth it) and much easier on your wrists...
Unread 04-23-2006, 09:22 PM   #13
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

i use it. its my main tool in post processing.

I have the mouse with it, but i dont like it as much as my normal mouse.

So I dont use the mouse. I just run my regular mouse, and hook up the wacom when Im sitting down to edit photos.

The only thing I have to say is watch out, you get addicted. Going back to a mouse after a wacom you feel very restricted and held back.

I couldnt go without one now.

Youll love it.
Bruce
staereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2006, 01:05 AM   #14
MissRaptor
I like shiny things.

A godsend they are. I have that one. Very fun and good. Lol at my english skills. It takes some time to get used to tablets, but they are definately worth it. Practice helps lots. Have fun with it!
Unread 04-24-2006, 01:12 AM   #15
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

I use my tablet for EVERYTHING on my computer - I developed tendonitis several years ago thanks to a data entry job, and clicking mouse buttons makes my fingers stiff and sore.

So not only is a tablet awesome for the ease with which you can edit and draw and so on (in Photoshop or Painter I tend to use my right hand with the stylus, while my left hand works the menus and so on with ctrl or alt key combinations so I don't have to click/drag anything but the picture I'm working on, and it goes much faster), but it's good for your hands too.