Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 05-03-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

some advice.

i need help with some desgins. i seem to be a in a desgining rut right now. :P

i woudl like to desgin some white gosurori things. now, white is not typically used in this style, it is typically an amarori thing. so how would i go about giving it more "gothic" touches instead of making it look sweet and cute, as people are sued to seeing it?

also, any webpages with pictures of minihats? i need inspiration for a white one. :P

and one more thing. what colours woudl you all like ot see in lolita that are not typically used? i would like to stay away from the typical light blue, white, pink, and black. i was thinking dark blues, dark purples, dark greens, lavanders, yellows, greys, and what else? any patterns in particular that people woudl like ot see?

thank you. ^-^ i am loving this new sub-fourm! <3
Nina Star 9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Hyper_Phantom

Lavender would be a lovely color to use. Maybe a light indigo, or a light orange.
Unread 05-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
Chibeli
Fabric Junkie

Maybe I'm crazy, but I really like patterns for loli. I haven't done one yet, but the next time I do, it will either be a blue or red plaid, or a strawberry print. If you're not feeling that bold, I'd go with yellow or grey.
Chibeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

White can frequently be used in gothic-style clothing as long as the lines of the outfit and the makeup of the wearer reflect a little more of the goth style, rather than looking preppy or summery or what have you.

I think any color can be used in lolita clothing-- I'd love to see someone use a really electric color-- hot pink, lime green, brilliant purple or blue. Dark jewel-tones are lovely, provided they're ruffly enough not to look like Irish step-dancing costumes (some of which, come to think about it, are also hot pink or purple).

I know I've seen some adorable mini-hats, but I can't think of any reference pictures right now. A Moulin Rouge-style top hat, except miniaturized and in white, would be so cute. A satin ribbon around the brim, a few white flowers and maybe a rhinestone or two-- awesome!

I have to stop skimming these boards, I keep having design impulses that I have neither time nor money to indulge.

EDIT: This white Lolita top could easily be worn with a white Lolita skirt. There's more white Lolita wear, too. Inspiring?

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison

Last edited by penny_dreadful : 05-04-2006 at 07:05 PM.
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful
White can frequently be used in gothic-style clothing as long as the lines of the outfit and the makeup of the wearer reflect a little more of the goth style, rather than looking preppy or summery or what have you.

I think any color can be used in lolita clothing-- I'd love to see someone use a really electric color-- hot pink, lime green, brilliant purple or blue. Dark jewel-tones are lovely, provided they're ruffly enough not to look like Irish step-dancing costumes (some of which, come to think about it, are also hot pink or purple).

I know I've seen some adorable mini-hats, but I can't think of any reference pictures right now. A Moulin Rouge-style top hat, except miniaturized and in white, would be so cute. A satin ribbon around the brim, a few white flowers and maybe a rhinestone or two-- awesome!

I have to stop skimming these boards, I keep having design impulses that I have neither time nor money to indulge.

EDIT: This white Lolita top could easily be worn with a white Lolita skirt. There's more white Lolita wear, too. Inspiring?

--Penny
i know that white can be used as gothic lolita, but i am asking how do you make the lines of the skirt, etc. reflect a more gothic style? ^-^;

and i have always wanted to make an electric blue lolita outfit. :O that would be awesome. <3 it would be like a lolita x decora crossover. you have inspired me to actually design it, now! XD

rhinestones... let me keep that in mind for a mini-hat. ^-^ thank you! you ahve been a big help!

(i should start selling mini-hats. XD)
Unread 05-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I think white becomes Gothic looking when it's a little ethereal-- less ruffly and 8-year-old making First Communion-ish, more floaty, ghostly. It should reflect a funeral shroud more than a wedding gown. Therefore, make the skirt a little more A-line than poofy, ruffle it a little less, maybe use a more dramatic lace like Venise. Crosses are good if you don't mind the religious overtones. Skulls are terrific-- white-on-white skulls would be VERY dramatic, I think. Maybe use more floaty materials like organza or-- wow, layers of a gauzy fabric would look AWESOME.

As far as colors go, I was just thinking that olive green would make a cool Loli color, too. Camo-Loli?

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 05-11-2006, 04:37 PM   #7
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

oh, so like, more funeral-ish? i think i get it. i think that a white skirt with a white lace overlay that comes to points on the bottom with a bead on each point would be nice. ^-^

i thought of military lolita a little while ago. my thought is a black ruffled tank top under a green camo jacket with black lace at the sleeves, paired with a brown skirt with a single ruffle at the bottom, black knee-highs, combat boots, and a military-themed mini-hat. :P
Unread 05-11-2006, 04:43 PM   #8
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina Star 9
oh, so like, more funeral-ish? i think i get it. i think that a white skirt with a white lace overlay that comes to points on the bottom with a bead on each point would be nice. ^-^

i thought of military lolita a little while ago. my thought is a black ruffled tank top under a green camo jacket with black lace at the sleeves, paired with a brown skirt with a single ruffle at the bottom, black knee-highs, combat boots, and a military-themed mini-hat. :P
Hey, they both sound good to me. I love pointy-hem skirts, especially when embellished with beads.

A military-themed mini-hat! Like a WAC or WAF hat, only TINY... that'd totally bowl me over.

--Penny
Unread 05-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #9
Fumiko

:] Definitely something like khaki and a...i dunno suttle red pattern down the sides. I love those cute apple patterns in the sweet lolita. I love the keeping-it-simple styles. So like you could add like white/beige/khaki cloth with dull red and light jade green patterns of something... I hope you know what I mean lol. Well hopefully you'll get out of the slump... Good luck :]
Fumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 08:30 PM   #10
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

So now you've got me thinking of white gothic Lolita outfits, and what came to mind is the dress Helena wears in My Chemical Romance's Helena video. Can't find any pics of the skirt but it's basically a tea-length ballerina-style skirt. There is a picture that shows the bodice of the dress and her headpiece with the blusher veil, though. Anyway... it'd look cool in white.

--Penny
Unread 05-14-2006, 10:33 PM   #11
Amaya De'Morte
Clearly Miscalculated.

general things that I think I have down

pastel, lightcolors= sweet lolita
blackwhite:gothic lolita
dark colors (jades, deep reds, etc. etc.)=classic lolita

so the dark colors would be perfectly acceptable! I myself am thinking of starting a deep red dress at the moment^^

http://www.candyviolet.com/

they have a minihat.. and I've made a minihat out of interfacing and fabric cover, if you'd like me to write down the way I did it and send it to you, I'd do it no sweat!

and I LOVE the gothic looking whtie lolitas.. I think something that'd help it look less sweet loltia nd more gothic would be a dark colored wig with a dramatic style- tight barrel curls into pigtails or all spikey- depending on your prefereance. (edit: sorry didn't notice that you specified dress shape.. ^^') Heavy jewelry could also help.. if that's your style. ^^

hope I helped^^
Tsubaki (soul Eater)
Rogue (xmen)
Once-ler (The Lorax Movie)

deviantART+facebook

ďA keen sense of humor helps us to overlook the unbecoming, understand the unconventional, tolerated the unpleasant, overcome the unexpected, and outlast the unbearableĒ

Last edited by Amaya De'Morte : 05-14-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Amaya De'Morte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 05:41 AM   #12
Yakuza Princess

If you're looking for inspiration for "Military Lolita" I recommend you watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3k22noC3o
Yakuza Princess is offline   Reply With Quote