Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-03-2002, 12:58 AM   #1
Mei Lan Chang
Its a "shoulder massager"

Red Eyes. Need um'.

Here's the stitch: I need red eyes. CHEAP! *looks at moth fly out of her pocket*

I am doing a Rei Ayanami plugsuit and I want it to be perfect. (Obsessive much?) And she has dark red eyes. So I am searching around the net for cheap red contacts and I can't find ANY under $200!! Can anyone help a poor lil plague of me out?

Unread 08-03-2002, 01:14 AM   #2
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

Oooh *runs off to look at sfx contacts links she hasn't been able to use yet*

Muahahah. http://www.lensquest.com/index.cfm/C...=list/start=11
"Vampire Red" lenses, not quite the right look maybe, but they ARE $60 a pair.
Here's a page with two more kinds, still keeping you under $200 - http://www.lensquest.com/index.cfm/C...=list/start=61 . I think those three are the only they have in red.

Dangit . . . I really want SFX lenses for my costumes . . . but I can't get them in a strong enough prescription, and it'd be stupid to wear glasses with them (though sometime I probably will anyway). Well, I hope I helped you at least. ^^
Unread 08-03-2002, 01:51 AM   #3
Jinx
Making a Comeback?

Mei!!! You are from Arizona!!!!!!!! Me too. I have JUST THE THING. Check your PM!!!

Unread 08-03-2002, 02:27 AM   #4
Ukayoru no Chou
Visually Oriented Culture

I need them too, cool ne ^^; blah, so hard to find..@_@;; in a stupid..blah..*clicks on links * I neeed themmm -_-;
Unread 08-03-2002, 02:35 AM   #5
Ukayoru no Chou
Visually Oriented Culture

either u know where I can get some with no prescription, btw ? ;_; ,I've got fine vision.so..ee;;;
Unread 08-03-2002, 02:50 AM   #6
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

They all come with a no-prescription option, that's no problem. Do note, if you've never worn lenses before, ease into them! Don't put them in the first time on the day of the con! I've been wearing contacts for nearly a decade, trust me. Start with just an hour or two and work up to how long you think you'll be wearing them for, and you should invest in some contact lens-specific rewetting drops as well, since con wear is probably going to be long. Also, these lenses are different types; you may be able to wear some (soft vs toric, toric vs hard, etc), and not others. Soft lenses will likely be the most comfortable.
http://www.lensesbymail.com/colored_contacts.htm
http://www.wildeyescontacts.com/
http://www.crazyContacts.com/
Unread 08-03-2002, 10:49 AM   #7
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

A word of advice, though, don't buy them online.

Try and find a store that will do fittings. Why? Because some brands, if you have dark eyes, simply will not show.

I tried a number of violet and one kind of red (on hazel eyes)... the violets made my eyes black, the red made them a weird brown. o_O;;;

That and not all brands will fit comfortably. I tried a few before I found ones I liked. But then since I need vision correction I could justify the $200 price tag. ^___^
Unread 08-04-2002, 02:22 AM   #8
Jinx
Making a Comeback?

Ukayoru no Chou, it seems that you are in CA. I'm not sure of, but I hear a lot about being able to purchase non-precsription lenses in CA. I have a lot of friends who visit CA often and bring them back here to AZ. (it's actually illegal to sell contacts without a prescription...)

My pm to Mei Lan was about this mini swapmart that sells them for about $20.

When do you need them by?

Unread 08-04-2002, 02:23 AM   #9
Jinx
Making a Comeback?

As for color... my eyes are a dark brown and I use green and blue lenses... I think they are gradient... they show pretty well.

Opaque would look to fake and the translucent wouldn't show.. so go for gradient lenses.

Unread 08-04-2002, 03:21 AM   #10
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

As a contact wearer myself i can't agree more with letting your eyes get used to the contacts before its time for the con. Here's something to remember most s/f effects contacts are thicker and are painted black on the back side (the side that touches your eye) some people can handle them some can not. I tend to have large puples so i tended to have a "tunnel vision" with the black ring around the outside of my vision. This same thing can also happen with the normal colored lenses in which your vision may appear "hazy or fuzzy" around the edges due to the color ring on the lense. Also those lenses are WAY thicker than most other lenses out there. While they are soft lenses (at least i think the ones i tried on were) they dont feel like normal clears or the normalish-colored soft contacts. I felt like I had a huge eyelash in my eye when wearing those. I would reccommend you see an eye doctor first. Lens Crafters sells those kinds of lenses (although pretty pricy but they do let you try them on for free) I'd recommend you get a contact lense fitting, some peoples eyes require a larger diamter lense (my boyfriend being one of them) and plus they really show you how to clean and care for the lense and teach you how to get the most use out of it and when it comes to putting anything in your eyes it's most important to be very careful otherwise you could damage your eyes. Remember to wash your hands before handling lenses even a small piece of lint from a tissue can upset your eye.

for a pretty cheap eye exam you should go to costco. You know the big warehouse chain that sells everything in bulk? Some costcos have optomotry depts in them and they sell clear contacts as low as $15 a box (always in stock but if you have a really strong prescription they might not always carry it but they can special order it) and colored lenses as low as $30 a box (those need to be special ordered and i think they have a 2 box minimum and it takes roughly a week for them to come in) a box contains 6 lenses or 3 pairs if your eyes are both the same prescription but some boxes contain 4 depends on which brand. I dont know if they carry the special effects colored lenses but it doesnt hurt to ask.

Miaka no Baka
Miaka No Baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2002, 10:24 PM   #11
Yukai
The Death of Innocence

In October your local Wal-Mart optical center will put their Wildeyes contacts on sale. They run about $75.00 per pair. It's really great. I don't know if it would be cheaper for non-pres. But I would recommend WildEyes. I myself own over 15 pairs and while they say they only last for one year, if you use the proper care you can keep them longer. You can get a cheap eye exam there and it would be a good idea to have a contact fitting. If your body has grown, your eyes have grown, and also your eyes can change. I've had my basecurve change a bit. So yeah.

Yukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2002, 11:58 PM   #12
Cynthia

The Wal-mart in my area already has non-prescription color contacts-their about $20 a box. You should check it out.
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2002, 06:17 PM   #13
Kusanagi
Pimp of the Caribbean

JINX!

I live in CA. I'm looking for a pair of solid purple or lilac lenses to complete my Cell costume. If I send you money, might u be able to send them to me?

"Superman is great. He can spout off something about quantum physics, fly three times around a tree in Guam, and a black hole opens and swallows up the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse." - Pretearwink
Kusanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2002, 10:47 AM   #14
HuongStar

I purchased my red lenses from Lensquest and they are the WildEyes brand. The quality is slightly below their specialty theatrical lenses but they work wonderfully on brown eyes (see my icon). ^_^ Also if I remember correctly, the non-prescription price for the WildEyes Red Eyes is under $100. It takes some time to get used to wearing the flimsy lenses but they can be worn comfortably for up to seven hours.

The only bad thing is that that the pupil "hole" isn't very large so when you blink, everything is "framed" in red. ~_~
Unread 08-23-2002, 08:49 PM   #15
Integral

Huong- I have that problem with my prescription blue lenses. They're Acuvue or somthing from Johnson& Johnson. They're supposed to be one of the better ones.. and they're less flimsy than some of the other colored contacts I have tried, but I think you run the problem of vision obsctuction with any colored lens.