Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 05-04-2006, 02:18 AM   #1
xinababo
Enjoy your spaghetti.

Make-up for ASIANS!

I just thought, "hey, Asian people have different shaped eyes than every other race, so why not post some tips or let other people give feedback/post tips too?"

As you know, there are many Asians with single eyelids and there are also many with double. It's a bit difficult for people with single eyelids because too much make up can make the eyes look even smaller.

For those Asians with single eyelids:
IF you do want to have a double eyelid WITHOUT the double eyelid surgery, I suggest "double eyelid glue" It can be purchased in Korean markets, or if you would like for me to go stock up on some for you, then I can :3(Just PM me!)
http://japundit.com/archives/2005/01/25/28/ <--Step by step process

It is BEST to stay away from heavy black eyeliner and instead use a thin line.

When it comes to eyeshadow, you might want to go from dark to light. Dark starts from the closest point to your nose, out to light which is farthest from your nose. (I would provide make up examples, but sadly my friend killed my digital camera = =I think blue and violet eye shadow really brings out Asian's eyes. However, it's fun to experiment with different make up techniques

Mascara is your best friend! It can also really bring out your eyes when your lashes really show(including your bottom ones too!)

Do not use black for your eyebrows. It's best to use brown!

Reason why I am posting tips for Asian eyes:
I've noticed how all anime/game characters do have a crease in their eye because, well...they would look strange without it. People stereotype all Asians as having tiny, slanted eyes, but infact, there are some with huge eyes that are a different shape than Caucasians. And so since doube eyelid eyes are bigger and rounded, they look more exotic with make up.

This is just for fun though. I'm not saying that all Asians MUST have a crease in their eye to be perfect cosplayers. It's just if you want to have more fun, try a different look or something along those lines hehe :3

Just have fun with make up and using differernt varieties of colors. I'll try to post more tips gradually. If anyone else truly knows good tips for Asian eyes, please post!

KORE TE DESTINYYYY~?! -Nobuta wo Produce <3

Last edited by xinababo : 05-04-2006 at 07:28 AM.
xinababo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2006, 10:41 PM   #2
Clueless Case
unce unce unce!

I have friend who buy eye lid tape which does the same thing. I luckily have double eyelids already.

Taking Wig Commissions
Clueless Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 12:04 AM   #3
Etsu
Jen-of-All-Trades

I need to show the double eyelid tape link to my mother. She's been recommending that I get the surgery. >_<

I'm a sucker for heavy black eyeliner, but it's true that you shouldn't put too much. Also, blue and brown are better colors.

Eyelash curlers are my best friend b/c mine slant downward and make my eyes even smaller.
original writing and art
blog about Japanese culture
Etsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 12:53 AM   #4
Misty Eyes
wanna adopt a cosplayer?

actually im having a hard time finding the perfect mascara. as an asian, my eyelashes are short and straight. yeah i can curl them which comes out great, but the weight of mascara makes them straight ALL OVER AGAIN! it's soooo frustrating. as an asian, has anyone found a mascara that holds up a curl and also lengthens or thicken?
Misty Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 01:32 AM   #5
VickyBunnyAngel
Puchuu

Which mascara are you using currently?

I've tried a lot of the "lash extender" mascaras with the white primer and black mascara from Revlon and Maybelline (I think they were called Lash Fantasy and XXL) They weren't the best mascara (Doesn't have anything to do with my suggestion though :P), and my lashes don't like staying curled either during mascara application. So what I do is wait until the mascara is like semi-dry, then curl my lashes again. i found the mascara would remold itself and help hold the lashes in place too. Then you can add a touchup layer in case the eyelash curler claimed too much of your mascara :P

Emerald Scorpion Creations
2012 Upcoming conventions: G-Anime, Katsucon, Con-G, Anime North, Otakuthon, Fan Expo, Youmacon

Costumes 2012: Yuuko (xxxHolic), Miku (Alice Human Sacrifice Vocaloid), V-13 (Blazblue), Homura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), Ninian (Fire Emblem), La Noire Musketeer (Granado Espada)

Watch me on deviantART: http://vickybunnyangel.deviantart.com/

Join me at Costume Con 32 in Toronto!
VickyBunnyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
Chibeli
Fabric Junkie

For the eyelash question, even though I'm not asian, I can imagine that the simplest thing to do for cosplay purposes, not everyday use, would be to use false eyelashes. You can probably save a whole lot of money this way since my false eyelashes at least can be reused. This way you don't have to buy an eyelash curler and try out multiple mascaras to get one that doesn't make eyelashes droop.
Chibeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2006, 05:43 PM   #7
Seed-chan
{ S I N N E R }

My eyelids are weird and has a single eyelid on my right eye, and a double eyelid on my left. Using the eyelid glue/tape is just awkward because they are more obviously different when I tried the stuff.

It's taken me a lot of effort to learn to apply eyeliner evenly, so my tip is don't give up even if it looks absolutely retarded at first, and try until you get really good at it x3

"Never trust anyone."
Seed-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 04:03 AM   #8
xinababo
Enjoy your spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Case
I have friend who buy eye lid tape which does the same thing. I luckily have double eyelids already.
I find the glue to be much better. Why? Because whenever I tried to use the tape(thousands of times), it would eventually slide down and actually show. When I use the glue, it keeps my lids nicely folded and looks 100% natural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etsu
I need to show the double eyelid tape link to my mother. She's been recommending that I get the surgery. >_<

I'm a sucker for heavy black eyeliner, but it's true that you shouldn't put too much. Also, blue and brown are better colors.

Eyelash curlers are my best friend b/c mine slant downward and make my eyes even smaller.
Actually, I've been BEGGING my mom for that surgery because I am so sick and tired of having such small eyes T_T It makes my make up smear more easily and it's really annoying.

I highly reccomend the GLUE instead of the tape. If you would like to purchase eyelid glue from me, it's $8.00 with S/H included :3 just PM me!

Last edited by xinababo : 05-09-2006 at 04:06 AM.
Unread 05-09-2006, 02:40 PM   #9
Yueri

First time in my life that I EVER hear the terms single and double eyelids...

o.o...

But the glue sounds like a good idea... (really doesnt understand and begs forgiveness of her ignorance)
Unread 05-09-2006, 05:38 PM   #10
xinababo
Enjoy your spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yueri
First time in my life that I EVER hear the terms single and double eyelids...

o.o...

But the glue sounds like a good idea... (really doesnt understand and begs forgiveness of her ignorance)
Aww it's alright. Usually a lot of double eyelid people have no idea what it is either. You can see a step by step video clip(but it's in Japanese language) here. It's really interesting XD

http://japundit.com/archives/2005/01/25/28/

Unread 05-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #11
hibekisensai
Habitual User

interesting thread...i think asian women have beautiful eyes, one of the best, unique features that separates asian women from others, regardless of single, double eyelid. The eyes are one of the most significant tells that distinguish between korean, japanese, filipino, chinese, etc.

All the asian women who posted in this thread, you are all beautiful just the way you are!!

i personally don't think double eyelids add any enhancements to a cosplay, but i guess if it makes you feel more confident and stuff, then why not?

I plan on cosplaying a character that has complete face make-up (Goldust, a WWE wrestler), so this is the reason for my interest in the thread...to see if i can pick up any techniques or tips on make-up, particularly since there is extensive black make-up around the eyes....maybe when i do test applications, since i have such dark eyes, it will look like i don't have eyes?!?

side note: speaking of eyes being distinguishing amongst asians, do you know this site? www.alllooksame.com/
Unread 05-09-2006, 07:30 PM   #12
Yueri

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinababo
Aww it's alright. Usually a lot of double eyelid people have no idea what it is either. You can see a step by step video clip(but it's in Japanese language) here. It's really interesting XD
Awww , I see!! I also read a little about it and now I understand, thank you n.n I dont like my doubles eyelids, by the way x.x Anyone exchange ? XD

Its so cool solutions like this are being invented, because even as I am a medicine student, surgery should be practiced as little as possible x.x
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibekisensai
All the asian women who posted in this thread, you are all beautiful just the way you are!!
So Im not beautiful!!!! Eeeeek!!!! XD just kidding XD
Unread 05-09-2006, 07:58 PM   #13
hibekisensai
Habitual User

^Yueri- lo siento...tu eres bellisimo! Amo sus ojos! XD
you too, are beautiful!

me llamo mateo en espanol...hibekisensai en cosplay.com...

a spanish speaking korean american...wtf?!?...what is this world coming to!?
(semi-fluent in spanish, speak some for business travel... if i am mexico for about a month i can speak well, i just sound like a special needs person cause i talk so slow compared to the locals!!! :P )

Last edited by hibekisensai : 05-10-2006 at 12:35 AM.
hibekisensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 08:38 PM   #14
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Hibekisensai, I scored a 3 on that test. Yes, I was schooled.

A Spanish-speaking Korean American? Proof that cultural diffusion is excellent.

--PD
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #15
hibekisensai
Habitual User

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful
Hibekisensai, I scored a 3 on that test. Yes, I was schooled.
--PD
haha! well, i only scored a 9, and just the other day i was bragging about how i could distinguish...pwnd XD