Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Air Gear

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-08-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
Yuki Souma
Needs a new avatar!

Air Gear question

I was thinking about cosplaying Ikki from Airgear for an upcoming Con.

Reference Picture: http://img278.imageshack.us/img278/1...01010016wp.jpg

I was wondering a few things, for one, the goggles, I was wondering what I should look for, or how to make them, but the larger thing is the skates, I've looked for 2 wheel'd roller blades, but I don't think they exist.. Is there any way I could make something like that? Or prehaps I should just leave them out of the costume?
Yuki Souma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
ChrowX
Here to Help

For the two wheeled skates I'd suggest getting a pair of Roller blades you could tear up and remake. From what I've gathered, professional skaters often take out the inner two wheels and replace that area with a metal plate of sorts for easier grinding.

I've never worked with the stuff, but maybe use Wonderflex for some of those shapey areas around the wheels? Maybe you could rig up a little locking mechanism in the wheels so you could walk around without rolling and falling on your ass, then you could put them out and zip around whenever you need
Unread 05-08-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
Yuki Souma
Needs a new avatar!

Hmm, By the sounds of it, it won't be an easy task.. Also something I forgot to add, since I thought it'd be simple, but now that I think of it, it probably won't be, How would I go about making the metal Belt buckle/Badges? I have absolutely no experience when it comes to metal working, but since i have 3-4 months, I hope I can pick it up.
Unread 05-08-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
DalaiLiam
Fauxtographer

Question, why not do Ikki from later on in the series when they get a team unifrom?(That Black Vinyl zipperfest) It'll be alot eaiser you'll really only have to mold their team logo then. Also I think that's the only picture I've seen him wearing goggles. I've seen sunglasses on him quite regular. From the Yaou battle forward he was wearing those big 80s glasses on his forehead.
Unread 05-08-2006, 10:34 PM   #5
Yuki Souma
Needs a new avatar!

Think You could PM me a few links? unfortunetly I don't have many pictures, and they seem pretty hard to find. Also, I've only really seen the first few bits of hte series, up to the Yaou battle. I'd love to get some reference pictures from farther on if possible.
Unread 05-09-2006, 08:01 AM   #6
DalaiLiam
Fauxtographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki Souma
Think You could PM me a few links? unfortunetly I don't have many pictures, and they seem pretty hard to find. Also, I've only really seen the first few bits of hte series, up to the Yaou battle. I'd love to get some reference pictures from farther on if possible.
Watching the anime I see. I'm kind of dissapointed in the anime, they really remove/edit some parts from the manga. (IE: Ikki doesn't get a team till waaaay later.And alot of other parts I won't mention) Anywho.. here's the manga, I think the team starts getting actual "Uniforms" volume 5 chapter 34.

You'll have to register to download though.

Also note on the translator's notes page they usually have pictures of cosplayers about 50% of the time.

Last edited by DalaiLiam : 05-09-2006 at 08:05 AM.
DalaiLiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 08:16 AM   #7
NiceGai44
Imma let you finish!

Thanks guys I appreciate it I was going to do Ikky for Otakon and I was going to ask you guys for advice. This is real helpful.
NiceGai44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 08:56 AM   #8
Yuki Souma
Needs a new avatar!

Thanks for that link Dalai, I'll look into it when I get home from school. And I'll probably see you there then Gai, That's where I'm heading ^^
Unread 05-09-2006, 09:12 AM   #9
NiceGai44
Imma let you finish!

Oh crap thats awesome. My friend may do a Jet Set Radio cosplay with me when I do Ikky probably Beat. Just a rivalry thing would be nice to see. I just have to make the hair and what not for Ikky. I was thinking about buying those Shoes that you can attach rollerblades at the bottom so I dont have to be walking around in skates. I know I will bust my butt just dumb luck!
Unread 05-09-2006, 10:22 AM   #10
Yuki Souma
Needs a new avatar!

Haha, Yeah, I'd like mine to be functional, but I know I'd probably fall over on them all the time. I still need to think about the hair, I dunno If I want to do a wig, or just spike my hair, since It's longer than I need, and I can cut it pretty easily.
Unread 05-09-2006, 10:39 AM   #11
NiceGai44
Imma let you finish!

I need to get a new Gai wig so I will probably just alter my old one for Ikky. I dont have lots of hair unfortunately! I want to read the manga but I know it will steer me away from the show I like. My friend is supposed to get Spit Fire done. I wish I could get my other friend to do Simca because she already has a Pink long wig.
Unread 05-09-2006, 10:50 AM   #12
Yuki Souma
Needs a new avatar!

Yeah, I understand, I really love the anime, and I think they reading the manga might ruin it for me later, but I like the series too, so I'm torn between the two <_>;

And maybe with some luck there might be random people to fill out the entier Air Gear Cast
Unread 05-09-2006, 11:06 AM   #13
calen383
mendacity to the max

For the goggles, you can probably find them at a ski store. Ski goggles/sunglasses from one of those stores may be what you are looking for. Be warned, though, they may be expensive. You may be able to find something on clearance since its getting to be summer now.
Cons planned: Otakon 11 - NYCC 11 - AnimeBoston 12
calen383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 11:20 AM   #14
NiceGai44
Imma let you finish!

I am getting mad people involved in this show just have to get them to cosplay. I wouldnt mind having an Air gear photoshoot. That will be nice to see at Otakon.
Unread 05-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #15
DalaiLiam
Fauxtographer

I'd actally planned on doing some Airgear cosplay, but my shcedule is jsut too full. I'm looking at 5 other costumes for upcoming cons though. I was so going to do Kasu.