Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-09-2006, 12:45 AM   #1
AuroraHermione

Skirts

Hi, Im new to making lolita outfits and I have a question about the skirts... what do you guys usually use as a pattern??? Are there certain patterns you guys use, or do circle skirt patterns usually work??? Thank you very much!

AuroraHermione is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

i use no patterns. XD whee~

lets see~ many people do not seem to like the circle skirt look, but i do. you can get those to be really really fluffly and round. <3 the skirt that i have with my maid outfit in my gallery was an a-line skirt, though. those are easy to make with no pattern. i can draw up a picture in paint if you like. ^-^; you basically make two or more pieces in an "A" with the top cut off shape. the top part is your wasit, divided by the amount of panels to be used (two or three is common), and the bottom is half of how fluffy you want the bottom to be. if you add more than, say, 6 or so panels, then you are getting into circle skirt territory, becasue the skirt turns into a circle when spread out from having so mnay panels. a skirt like this is also fairly easy to make, but rther tedious becasue of all the triangluar panels. plus, it wll have seams all up it.

hope my rambling helps some. ^-^;
Nina Star 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
Mirromaru
Kraut

Circle skirts work fine, but if you wear them too high up your waist they are kinda unfavourable. Another skirt type I like are broomstick skirts. For both you don't need a pattern, they are pretty easy.
Unread 05-12-2006, 02:12 AM   #4
Cat-Chans
Glaceon, I choose you!

Dose the A line get enough body?
I've got a costume that requires a skirt, no petticoat, but needs to be fairly full of body. I was going to use a circle skirt pattern, but realized I didn't have enough fabric to pull it off. I could make a skirt with 4 panels, just not a full circle.

I have a ref pic here:
manga13.jpg
Unread 05-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
Aeronaut
Snuffkin at heart!

here is a free and simple pattern! Just follow the directions...pictures really do help make the process easier. Post the skirt after you are done. ^.~

http://community.livejournal.com/egl/2413999.html
Aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #6
Chastangela
Suiren no Ningyo

I find that the best pattern to use are ones from square dancing or simillira type costumes. You don't need one to make lolita skirts but they do make things easier. Depending on the type of skirt you are making, just remember that your pattern pieces should probably look like triangles with curved bottoms. That gives you the fullness in the bottom but fits it more to the waistIf you want a really full skirt or gathering at the waist, you just use wider pieces, more pieces and/or wider triangles....so that they look mostly like a quarter piece out of a circle etc. I hope that makes sense to you!
Chastangela is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2006, 08:03 PM   #7
Avelia
Tough Cookie

I'm new to cosplaying lollies too. I made my first petticoat by sewing layers and layers together like how a tutu is done. not sure if it's the correct way of doing it but it turned out like this: (i'm the one in blue)

http://www3.sympatico.ca/hugochan/pics/an06/an062.jpg

http://www3.sympatico.ca/hugochan/pics/an06/an068.jpg

I had trouble getting out of cramped areas such as washroom stalls =_=
Unread 05-29-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
Meiki

I personally am not fond of circle skirts, they typically make skirts look more square dance-like then the bell-shape most loli skirts go for. I totally second the link posted to the egl community tutorial if you want it really flared, or just a very large trapizoid style skirt if you don't want it too flared, or if you're using elastic.
Meiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2006, 12:44 AM   #9
AuroraHermione

I have a question on the tutorial above... is that just one panel or do you use that and make multiples and sew them together???

AuroraHermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2006, 10:07 PM   #10
Chibi Ice Wolf
Dead Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squee Bunny
here is a free and simple pattern! Just follow the directions...pictures really do help make the process easier. Post the skirt after you are done. ^.~

http://community.livejournal.com/egl/2413999.html
Ooh *.* That's honestly the best shape! I've made a circle skirt before and I feel more like Cardcaptor Sakura than a lolita in it. XD;; And I also have done a rectangle and it made me look fat. >.< You have to gather it so much at the waist to get any fullness at the bottom that it adds like 3 inches to my waist. >.o Gross.

ARIZONA HOBBYISTS PARADISE
Arizona-based community featuring anime, gaming, cosplay, fashion, art, BJDs and more!

Upcoming Cosplay: Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter), Chii (Tsubasa), Ai Kago (W), Sweets Lolita (Original)

Next up: Izumicon!
Chibi Ice Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote