Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 05-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
junko

fun photo filters or tricks?

hey all!

I recently took photos at acen-- wondering, does anyone know any cool filters or tricks on photoshop?

I see people do the "dream shots" hazy blurry filter- but no idea how to go about doing it.

any tips would be appreciated!
junko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
Ami Yuy
Not an active mod
Site Moderator

There are many ways to do the blurry shots. The only way I've really done it is: - Make a duplicate of the background layer
- Filter -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur (whatever amount I want)
- Adjust the Blending Mode of the layer to whatever fits the best (Screen, Overlay, and Soft Light work nicely depending on the image)
- Adjust Opacity of the layer to my satisfaction

I attached a sample of this with the original image and then an edited one (Gaussian Blur 9.9, Screen, 50% opacity). It's not the best example, but it's what I had easily accessible to edit at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amiyuy-DSCN6879-original.jpg (120.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg amiyuy-DSCN6879-soft.jpg (107.6 KB, 0 views)
Ami Yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2006, 11:23 PM   #3
jtnishi
CREEPY PHOTOGRAPHER #1146

Ami Yuy's technique is pretty much the standard technique for doing so. I remember seeing the exact technique applied to wedding photos somewhere. I usually prefer smaller radii and lower opacities myself, but no blend mode. Typically about 5px for the blur, plus about a 20-30% opacity with no blending (Normal mode, versus screen) usually gives me a nice softness without overwhelming the underlying image. Works especially well if you've added sharpening to the lower layer already.

As for filters, I'll throw my recommendation behind a favorite from the DPReview forums: optikVerve Labs' virtualPhotographer. The presets in the filter can handle a lot of neat special effects, including a soft focus blur overlay on top of the images. And it's a free but powerful filter. For a lot of special photographic effects, I usually turn to it first.
Unread 05-13-2006, 05:58 AM   #4
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

Wow! I hadn't seen that one. I'll be downloading it when I get home!!

I have found this to be a somewhat fun action set:
Alienskin's Exposure.
http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/index.html

Unfortunately, I can't boast a free download, so I lose here. This pack will run you just under US$200.00.

I have it, and it is very rare that I use it, since I tend to like perfect images, and only distort manually a small portion of the time. BUT, for the times I wanted to recreate my chemical darkroom in my digital darkroom, this can't be beat. Great film feel.

Bruce
staereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
AdamN

Try Picasa2

You can try the free program from Google Picasa2 http://picasa.google.com

It is very fast and easy to do quick editing such as soft glow, blurring, bw/ colored effects, etc. I wish it had some more fine tuning such as ammount of sharpen (it's either off or +++ sharp) and a way to darken too bright photos (has controls to brighten).

I use it to spit out webpages of selected photos and you can even make a CD slide show program.

Best thing about this program is that you can edit your photos as much as you want and it will not affect your original images (they are left untouched). It will save the edited photos to a new folder.

Adam
- I am in no way a member of the program team - I wish I had a paying job like that
AdamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
Terensu
Not enough space to put s

www.pslover.com
Good tutorials.
Terensu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2006, 09:43 AM   #7
Ollie
Between Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami Yuy
- Adjust the Blending Mode of the layer to whatever fits the best (Screen, Overlay, and Soft Light work nicely depending on the image)
I assume this is the soft-blur effect we're talking about here? I usually do the same thing, but go into CMYK so that I can apply the blurring to only the luminosity channel. (Though, admittedly, this often doesn't produce a noticably different result from doing it in RGB.)

But these "blending modes," what do they do?
Unread 05-18-2006, 10:27 PM   #8
Yueri

Im sure this is not the forum where I should ask this, but since it seems you are all awesome photoshoppers and since Im not, I have a question maybe someone can answer. Id be really happy and would prefer this than making a whole thread n.n

When I open a picture in PS, why do the image's colors change? Like the purple tuns blue and stuff.
If anyone needs, I can screencap.
My brother says maybe the adjustments are moved, but Id lie if I tell you I know where to put it normal again.

thank you very much.
~yueri
Unread 05-19-2006, 12:08 AM   #9
VickyBunnyAngel
Puchuu

Sometimes the colours on your camera, may not match with the actual colour in the photo taken, which could be why there are differences in colour when you see the image on the computer, since the camera's screen can't output as many colours? That's what I've been told. So I'm not so suree

Emerald Scorpion Creations
2012 Upcoming conventions: G-Anime, Katsucon, Con-G, Anime North, Otakuthon, Fan Expo, Youmacon

Costumes 2012: Yuuko (xxxHolic), Miku (Alice Human Sacrifice Vocaloid), V-13 (Blazblue), Homura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), Ninian (Fire Emblem), La Noire Musketeer (Granado Espada)

Watch me on deviantART: http://vickybunnyangel.deviantart.com/

Join me at Costume Con 32 in Toronto!
VickyBunnyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #10
Ollie
Between Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yueri
When I open a picture in PS, why do the image's colors change? Like the purple tuns blue and stuff.
If anyone needs, I can screencap.
My first guess would be a calibration problem with your monitor. Are you using CRT or LCD? Mac or PC? The quickest solution would probably be to check your monitors control panel and see if you can change anything there, such as the color tempurature or monitor profile. If you have another monitor, use it and see if you have the same problem. If it looks different again, it's probably your computer settings.

There's a hundred other problems that could cause, this, though. If you're using an older point-and-shoot, you could have processing problems or memory corruption on your stick. Depending on how severe it is, you may just need to adjust your white balance (this would actually be my second guess). Under the lighting conditions you shoot, the eye will see a shade of blue or red, but the brain will tell you it's white. Photoshop does have an automatic correction tool for this, though you may need to use a more specific levels or curves layer to fix it. (Pretty much every serious photographer will adjust these things a bit, at least for some images.)

If it's a really horrible problem, though, go ahead and post. I think a new thread would be fine.
Unread 05-19-2006, 09:15 AM   #11
Ollie
Between Worlds

Speaking of filters and tricks, anybody familiar with cross-processing?
Unread 05-19-2006, 10:12 AM   #12
staereo

Yueri,

To me, it sounds like you are having a problem between color profiles. To me, it sounds like you're dealing with gamut differences between photoshop and your camera.

You need to find out what your PS workspace is in, and what your camera is recording.

Most often camera's are set default to record in sRGB. The other common gamut is adobeRGB. adobeRGB utilizes a wider gamut that is condusive to printing, whereas sRGB is more limited to the scope of monitors.

When you open the image in internet explorer (or firefox, opera, etc) does the color seem to be properly colored? If so, your workspace in photoshop is overriding your sRGB embedded profile.

Do my test, about opening it in internet explorer, let me know the results. If I am right, its a simple fix and I, or someone else can explain how to change your workspace cololr profile in photoshop.

Bruce
Unread 05-19-2006, 01:36 PM   #13
AdamN

Cross Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie
Speaking of filters and tricks, anybody familiar with cross-processing?
Alien Skin Exposure Plugin: One of the best photoshop plugins that will make your photos look like one of the dozens of real chemical cross processed images plus a bunch of other effects. It's not cheap though, $200.

http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/ex..._examples.html

Few sites with cross-process manual techniques:

http://members.shaw.ca/johnalli/pages/tipscross.html
http://www.pixelgenius.com/color/pkc...ssprocess.html
http://blog.dannyngan.com/2005/08/01...-in-photoshop/
AdamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2006, 05:55 PM   #14
staereo

LOL AdamN, look about 9 posts above yours. lol.
Unread 05-19-2006, 11:44 PM   #15
Yueri

Quote:
Originally Posted by staereo
Do my test, about opening it in internet explorer, let me know the results.
Yueri's results are:
The image only looks weird on PS.

I attached an image that shows the difference n.n

Thanks everyone, Im sorry Im not talking about this subject... u.u.... but I really appreciate the help n.n
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psismean.jpg (151.0 KB, 0 views)