Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Closed Thread
Unread 08-23-2006, 12:38 PM   #31
Ami_Suzuki
Ami Love Pies

hi! my name is Nayh i'm 16 years old, i'm from spain and i want to meet japasese people!! why? because i love that country, and the life style.. the clothes... ^^
my msn is: Yuni_Kinomotto@hotmail.com
my yahoo account is: ami_cadix@yahoo.es
^^ kukuss

Unread 08-23-2006, 07:45 PM   #32
haru_sohma_lvr
Cosplay Since 1999

Japanese people are some of the nicest people i've ever met...and they're cooler than I am...and more outgoing then me...so if anybody wants to be my friend...message me ^^
Unread 08-23-2006, 10:01 PM   #33
Does_it_have_to

JApanese people are raciests

when i visted japan they looked down apon me because i didnt know the language whish i didn't mind so muchg but they also were suprised that i was an American that wasn't blue eyed Blonde hair person, and becuse of that this one person said that I wasn't a true American.
Unread 08-23-2006, 10:28 PM   #34
DeathOfSoul
Epic Mustache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Does_it_have_to
when i visted japan they looked down apon me because i didnt know the language whish i didn't mind so muchg but they also were suprised that i was an American that wasn't blue eyed Blonde hair person, and becuse of that this one person said that I wasn't a true American.
I am positive that's not everyone... actually very few would look down upon you, and that was only one person, they were probably just a jerk. Also, if you're going to Japan wouldn't you need to know at least a little of the language? <.< >.>

Tumblr

(Wow what a bad SN. I made it up several years ago and thought it sounded cool. |D Oops.)
Unread 08-24-2006, 12:50 AM   #35
mrskalal
O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOfSoul
I am positive that's not everyone... actually very few would look down upon you, and that was only one person, they were probably just a jerk. Also, if you're going to Japan wouldn't you need to know at least a little of the language? <.< >.>
Actually, while not being looked down on, per say, gaijiin are definitely viewed differently...especially by the older generation and young children, and this can get very annoying and grating. After two years I'm so ready for "being different" to be over. You should have seen the little kids staring at me when I was at a bath house. "Look! Naked gaijin!"

Future:

White Mage
Black Mage
Chie Satonaka
Teddie (Kuma)
Unread 08-24-2006, 01:18 PM   #36
Kazenokibou

I'm very sorry that that kind of experience happened to you, but you have to keep in mind, most Japanese people only know "gaijin" from their local "English Prep School" (who WILL NOT hire Japanese American's [like me] even if they can speak English perfectly because they don't look like a "Gaijin"), T.V., and movies.

I've read somewhere that this women thought all Americans were suppose to be pretty (kinda like elves, I guess) because all Americans she knew were in movies and they were all beautiful (I think she lacks few brain cells, as well as the person you encountered). On the related note, because Japanese people only know Americans (or just "gaijin") from movies, they tend to think that American culture is cool and some people even want to take pictures with Gaijin just because of the fact that they are gaijin. I actually heard a really weird conversation in a convinient store in Japan were these two girls were speaking about how hotter this one Japanese actor would be if he was a gaijin. Wha....????

On the note of being looked down upon for not being able to speak their language... I don't know if that's necessary because Japanese people were "racist." ^.^;; I mean, if someone from Japan came over to America and couldn't speak a word of English, wouldn't you be a little bit like, "what? You came all the way over here but you can't speak our language?" Also, if you were in Tokyo, it is like all other big cities, people aren't as nice. I heard that people in Osaka is way nicer then Tokyoites.

And that person who said you weren't American because you didn't have blonde hair blue eyes... more then that person being a jerk, I think that person is plain stupid. If I was there, I probably would of said it to that person's face. Oh, but in a little defence of that, Japan consists of like 80% Japanese people (like, black hair black eyes), and the only way you can get a Japanese citizenship is to marry or to file something to become one. People can't get atomatic citizenship because they were born in Japan, so it might be that they can't understand how multiracial an "American" can be.
pixiv http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=800963
Cosplay Archive http://www.cosp.jp/prof.aspx?id=137336

Last edited by Kazenokibou : 08-24-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Unread 08-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #37
aoisakura
=^._.^=

Can't really blame them I had never seen anyone who wasn't japanese till I moved to UK but yeah most japanese people STILL think all Westerners are caucasian and blonde and blue eyed....

Alot of osaka citizens can be VERY racist, esp a while ago when they thought of other orientals as people who do all the dirty work.... tbh they are still having problems getting on with china and korea which I think is a problem..Japan is still a very closed in country and still has lots of nationalities to meet so exuse our ignorance sometimes -_-;

Imagine your whole class in school/ whole school one race and all look very simmilar... isn't that weird XD

And idk but if you didn't go there to LIVE or anything can't really be blamed for not being able to speak japanese, even though it's probably nessesary as EVERYTHING is written only in jp there...and I have visited many countries without being able to speak the lang, as I can only speak Japanese and English and been to alot of european countries you don't seriously expect someone to know the lang if they are a tourist or all tourists will have to be very very good at learning 0_o

Last edited by aoisakura : 08-24-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Unread 08-24-2006, 10:18 PM   #38
DeathOfSoul
Epic Mustache

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskalal
Actually, while not being looked down on, per say, gaijiin are definitely viewed differently...especially by the older generation and young children, and this can get very annoying and grating. After two years I'm so ready for "being different" to be over. You should have seen the little kids staring at me when I was at a bath house. "Look! Naked gaijin!"
Oh dear... I'm going to die when I go through the whole "gaijin" scene after I move there next July x_x Oh well... I stick out a lot here too XD;

Tumblr

(Wow what a bad SN. I made it up several years ago and thought it sounded cool. |D Oops.)
Unread 08-24-2006, 11:49 PM   #39
100kYenes

About people looking at you and that kinda stuff: this had never bothered me. I have been visiting japan for the last 3 years (summer) and never had a bad experience there. People stare at me all the time, in trains, street, Akihabara, ramen, EVERYWHERE, but so what? I know my looks are different, besides, i kinda enjoy all the attention im getting.

There was this cute lady i encountered in a train station, and i was wearing a Mexico soccer jersey (i'm mexico-american), and she asked me if i was was mekishikojin. I thought it was awesome, because most of the poeple would just stare at you like wanting to ask you something, but dont know how. I replied with a cheerful mexican-style "Asi es señora, mucho gusto" followed by its japanese translation. She seemed very pleased and we exchanged some more while in the train.
Unread 08-25-2006, 09:18 AM   #40
haru_sohma_lvr
Cosplay Since 1999

I wanna go to Japan when I graduate high school (maybe even before then) What I did was when I looked for high schools, I found one with a Japanese Course as a language and that was the one I picked out. I got in and now hopefully i'll be fluent by the time I graduate...I already know how to properly introduce myself.

Hajimemashite
Marquez (Mimi) Desu
Dozo Yoroshiku
(bow)
Unread 08-25-2006, 03:47 PM   #41
DeathOfSoul
Epic Mustache

I wish they had a Japanese course at my High School, but sadly, they didn't.... because they suck! XD

Oh well... since I graduated early I have a full year to try and practice ^^ I'm learning my Hiragana table right now.

Tumblr

Unread 08-28-2006, 03:15 PM   #42
Nerd.Yla
Yla.

I'm just going to hop onto the bandwagon too! ^.^
I'm a 14 year old girl, that lives in western Canada,
and there really isn't much else.
I have a whole bunch of japanese snail mail penpals, but I'd like some Japanese person to talk to online.
Msn.. dying_fleur@hotmail.com

Ps. Thanks for all of those penpal sites, DeathOfSoul! I'll definatly use them.

Completed Cosplays:
FFX Rikku
FFX2 Trainer Rikku
Red Ninja: Kurenai
KH2: Faerie Rikku
Unread 08-28-2006, 08:23 PM   #43
DeathOfSoul
Epic Mustache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerd.Yla
Ps. Thanks for all of those penpal sites, DeathOfSoul! I'll definatly use them.
No problem ^^ I'm probably going to start a new thread so people could see them more... (I'm honestly getting sick of all these people asking to speak with Jap. people... they're not anymore different then you or me!).

Tumblr

Unread 09-02-2006, 04:06 AM   #44
sesshy_taiyouka

hi i'm from canada. . . I also want to chat w/ cosplayer from all over the world. If you want you can add me to your msn list. It's sesshy_taiyoukai79@hotmail.com.
Unread 09-07-2006, 08:31 PM   #45
Visual_Kei101
Neko boy!

Hello, I'm interested in having a japanese pen pal, either by AIM, or Email, or even snail mail. ~(^A^)~

You can get to me By This e-mail:
Mervellies_Gackt@hotmail.com

I know very little Japanese, and am willing to learn! I'm also 17, I love bands like Nightmare, Phantasmagoria, and 12012.

Last edited by Visual_Kei101 : 09-07-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Closed Thread