Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 05-14-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

petticoat issues. :/

one day about a month ago, i put on my petticoat, and it was totally flat. :/ i was careful not to squish it too much, and i did not even wear it *that* much where the netting would be worn out so soon. (i had just made it maybe two months before, and i only wore it maybe once a week at most... :/) i used a netting instead of tulle. could that have something to do with it?

any way to fluff it back up without sewing more netting or some tulle onto it? i have tried hanging it upsidedonw, and that did not work. it used to be really fluffy and round, but now it is flat against my boday. any suggestions? :/
Nina Star 9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2006, 06:23 PM   #2
Serey-chan
Blue-Eyed Machina Girl

At work, I've always fluffed up tulle with a steamer. However, I'd be willing to bet you don't have one. ^^;; So, I would suggest removing the bathmat from your bathtub, and dumping boiling water into the tub. Hold the petticoat over the steam. I wouldn't suggest holding the petticoat over the stove. ^^;; But that's just my idea. Maybe someone else has a better one. ^^;;;

Planned Appearances
Gallifrey One 2014
Wondercon 2014
Fanime 2014

Proud Member of We're Not Twins! Cosplay
Serey-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
feytaline

This probably won't help, but I had read recently on the livejournal community EGL that you're supposed to hang a petticoat upside-down when you store it. Maybe if you try hanging yours upside-down for a while it'll help it out?
Unread 05-20-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
TeddyBearNarcs
Panda Loli-Chan!

feytaline is right. When you store your petticoat, you need to hang it upside down. That when when you turn it right side up, it is still very poofy.
"Lolita is all about looking cute and innocent. If you want to look like a lolita and act like a whore, that's your perogative, but don't you DARE dress like a whore and call yourself lolita. That's not what it's all about."

Black Cutaway Lolita JSK ((for use with the red Meta cutsew)): 100% designed, 0% completed

BluexBlackxWhite Lolita: 100% designed, 100% completed
TeddyBearNarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2006, 06:43 PM   #5
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

i have been hanging mine upside-down and i have tried steaming it, with no luck. i think i jsut need to make a new one. >>
Unread 05-24-2006, 10:43 PM   #6
Mai Kirasaki
" ^_^"

Nina star,

What is yours made of? Is it the stiff kind or the fluffy soft kind?
I have both kinds and I tried putting the soft one in the dryer on LOW, NO HEAT just to tumble and it helped but with the stiff one, I think its like netting, it did not help.

Please remember what I said about not using heat. You don't want to melt it.

Hope this helps
Mai Kirasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #7
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

it was a stiff netting, but then i noticed the other day when i wore it that it was really soft. i think i just need a new petti altogether. :/

thanks though.

on the same note, what kind of material would you all reccomend? tulle is too wimpy, and the netting i used went soft too quickly. what else is there? like, a sturdier version of tulle is what i am looking for. the kind that they have on the bottoms of a lot of dresses nowdays. is that a good material? if not, what should i use? i really am stumped. ^-^; (keep in mind that the shape i like is big and round and cupcake-y, not a-line like a tiered tulle petti would do.)

thanks~
Unread 06-10-2006, 01:39 PM   #8
Winter Divinity
夢は永遠に反響する

You could always try to save it with fabric stiffener. It'll help your petticoat maintain its shape.

I made my petticoat with this really really thick and stiff netting. I have no idea what it's called. I got it at Wal-mart though. The holes are about as small as tulle, but a 1000 times stiffer than net. Here is a picture of it, under my Chii outfit:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=634707
Winter Divinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #9
AuroraHermione

I went to Joanns and in the Tulle/netting section I found some stuff that is clearly netting, but doesn't have to huge holes. They only had it in white, and the person who cut it told me it was for making petticoats, so you might want to go there and just ask someone.

AuroraHermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2006, 04:17 PM   #10
Yakusatari

Crinoline has helped me in the past.
Unread 06-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #11
Yumeko
20 years sewing strong

I know this will sound really stupid and ya'll laugh at me but when I wash my petticoats, I throw a clean shoe in the dryer with them...

go ahead and laugh now

"Either you do or you don't. There is no try" Yoda
~~~~~*~~~~~
OniNeko.Net
Specializing in Costumes and Cosplay Commissions for all ages and sizes
My Work Blog
A running commentary of all my projects (Updated: constantly)
My Gallery
Photographs of all my work
Yumeko is offline   Reply With Quote