Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 05-20-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
Miyavi-desu

how good is my camera?

I just got a new camera from meh dad, and I wonder how good the quality is. It's a FUJIFILM FinePix E510 digital camera with 5.2 mega pixels ^^;;

Unread 05-20-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

It is rated 4 out of 5 stars at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...nepixe510z.asp

Looks like it would be an okay convention snapshot camera, but eventually you may be wanting something with a stronger zoom lens.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
Miyavi-desu

I see...so its not that great...but it gets a good rating? XDD haha, I will eventually save up for a more professional better quality one XP

thx!! ^^
Unread 05-20-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
TomodachiFriend
Pick The Chair!

Well, like we've said here many times before, the person behind the camera is more important. Some pro photographers even go out and buy disposable cameras when they're bored.

That being said, somehow, we always want better equipment.
TomodachiFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2006, 03:52 AM   #5
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

Tomodachi's right.

But to expand, I also want to point out that 'good' is subjective and not objective.

I spent nearly 2 grand when I bought my camera. It's used in the professional field particularly in wedding, sports, and photojournalism. But even I could come in here and ask 'how good is my camera?', only to have someone that owns a 1dsmkii so tell me mine is lacking.

Furthermore, that person with the 8,000 1dsmk2 could have some sort of commercial/fashion/etc photographer come in and talk about their h2d and say the 1dsmkii is lacking.

I could still continue further with this rambling, but you get the idea, that you cant arbitrarily get an open ended answer about how 'good' a camera is.

If you want to know how it performs on a certain spec, which you can use scales of cameras in the same price point, with quantifyable specifications to compare, it may get a little more objective.

Ultimately, though, you need to ask YOURSELF if your camera is doing what YOU want it to. If so, then its a good camera.

Bruce
staereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
Ollie
Between Worlds

It's good enough if you're happy with the results.
Unread 05-21-2006, 11:07 AM   #7
swallowtail
..Kimchii Kitty..

EDIT: oops... O_o;;

Guy's Family|Shinobu|no no spare key
Cowboy Bebop|Faye Valentine
Final Fantasy X-2|Yuna

Last edited by swallowtail : 05-21-2006 at 11:10 AM.
swallowtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2006, 11:08 AM   #8
Miyavi-desu

"oh, good points made...I see. haha, Im such an amateur at stuff ;_; k, thx~"

holy crap!! that above post was me ^^;;;
Unread 05-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #9
SailorSaturn
Procrastinator

I hate my sister's camera, even though I took my awesome avvie picture on it.
SailorSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 12:35 AM   #10
TomodachiFriend
Pick The Chair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staereo
Ultimately, though, you need to ask YOURSELF if your camera is doing what YOU want it to. If so, then its a good camera.

Bruce
True. That's why you want to hold the cameras you're interested in, not just look at the spec sheets. The best stores are ones where you can not just hold the cameras but also try them with the power on and a memory card in. That usually excludes Best Buy.

One of my friends went to shop for a new camera and the clerk just told him that since it wasn't a busy day, he could take the camera for a few hours without any questions asked. That's a $2000 camera!!!

Last edited by TomodachiFriend : 05-22-2006 at 12:37 AM.
TomodachiFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 01:49 AM   #11
Sleepy
Reticent Man

The camera's fine. Just spend the time experimenting with the settings, and see how much you can do with it.
Unread 05-22-2006, 03:48 AM   #12
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomodachiFriend
One of my friends went to shop for a new camera and the clerk just told him that since it wasn't a busy day, he could take the camera for a few hours without any questions asked. That's a $2000 camera!!!
Wow! I haven't been this fortunate, however the local photography store here lets me borrow their 20D and a memory card to walk around the store with for a while when I want to test a new lens. I just tell them I have a 20d, and they set it all up with the lens I'm looking at and hand it over and tell me to walk around the store and take some shots to try the lens out.

I have consequently chosen to knowingly spend more money sometimes by getting equipment from them. Something to be said for that kind of service. Not to mention, I had a canon tele zoom lens that went wacky on me, and they took it back and handed me a new one, 8 months after I purchased the original. I just gave them the receipt and the lens, with all the original packaging. Bam, swapped for a new one right there. Took 5 mins. Didn't even inspect the old one.

Bruce
staereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 09:28 AM   #13
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyavi-desu
I just got a new camera from meh dad, and I wonder how good the quality is. It's a FUJIFILM FinePix E510 digital camera with 5.2 mega pixels ^^;;
That camera should be fine for everyday use or cosplay photos. You have more than enough megapixels for posting images to the web. If you're looking to print images from that camera, you should be get a print as long as 8" without much loss in sharpness.

From Ken Rockwell's site:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

"Ideally you'd like to print at 300 DPI to look sharp even when viewed too close. You can figure this by:

Long print dimension in inches = 4 x (square root of megapixels)"

And as others have said, photo technique is more important than the equipment. A good photographer can often make great shots with a 3-megapixel camera or disposable film camera.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2006, 08:13 PM   #14
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

I'm lovin the work I can do with my new Canon PowerShot S2 IS I got for Christmas.

Shinigami Photos
KaineMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2006, 09:42 PM   #15
SolarTempest
.: Photographer :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomodachiFriend
Well, like we've said here many times before, the person behind the camera is more important. Some pro photographers even go out and buy disposable cameras when they're bored.

That being said, somehow, we always want better equipment.
Well said =P Hurts but it's the truth!
I think your camera will serve you plenty awesome

flickr.com/photos/solartempest
Facebook: solartempestphotography
-Email me for shoots!

:2014 Planned Conventions:
Katsucon, Con-G, MTAC, Colossal Con, Otakuthon, FanExpo, Youmacon,
SolarTempest is offline   Reply With Quote