Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 09-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
Gemmy_Juneko
anger on a roll

a tilting tripod? or just a basic one for anovice

i am thinking of getting into (cosplay)and self photography by taking my own cosplay photos. I know to do this im Going to need something to hold the camera so here comes my question; are there tripods that can hold cameras at angles like below or above? Would the Tripod be determine by the camera im using(like if I was by chance using my cellphone camera do I get a tripod in a certain size or a "cellphone camera tripod" ?If not whats a basic portable tripod that you would recommend to a novice?thank you.

Unread 09-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
WonJohnSoup
Cosplay Photographer

Unless it's for a specific type of shot, I personally wouldn't recommend tripods at all anymore if you're looking at general usage.

As for your question, I'm not sure I understand. Can you link the type of tripod you're thinking about? There are tripods where you can attach it to either the top or bottom of the main stock. I've never seen one in real life. I tend to just not extend the legs if I have to go that low, or just stack it on some books or something.

Cellphone cameras need an extra adapter to make them work for regular camera tripods. You can type, "cellphone tripod" into amazon. I have one, it's a gorilla type one that cost like $3 and it's been very useful.

I would very very very much recommend getting a cheap (~$15) or free giveaway tripod if you're just starting out. Quality tripods can be several hundred dollars and you aren't likely to use them outside of certain settings or for specific effects if you're shooting digital with the ability to go high ISO.

Upcoming Conventions:

Comikaze 2014 Will be holding panels on Posing for Cosplay Photography! Contact for limited photoshoot bookings.
Blizzcon Contact for bookings!
WonJohnSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

I agree with WJS - a tripod is generally unnecessary for cosplay photos, or for most photos of people. It's important to understand why: You need a relatively fast shutter speed to get a crisp image of a person - even a posed person - and when you're using a fast shutter speed, you don't need a tripod.

For self-portraits, an inexpensive tripod will do. Almost any tripod made in the past couple of decades will be able to tilt up and down - the cheapo non-specialty tripods certainly will. Ask family members if they have a hand-me-down, or post on Facebook if anyone has one they're not using, that they want to unload. Wal-Mart has Sunpak and Vivitar brands for ten or twelve bucks. (at that price, it's not even worth dealing with Craiglist)

There's also the Gorillapod style tripods with the bendy tentacle-legs, those are fun. Looks like there are inexpensive knockoffs out there.

I have a couple of nice tripods, and I use them for the following:
Fixed-camera video - for interviews, b-roll video of a stage performance, etc.
Long exposures of stationary objects (buildings etc)
Panoramas (coupled with a specialty panorama tripod head)
Product photos, where I'm working on very precise composition and lighting
People photos ONLY when I need the background to be absolutely identical - for instance, if I expect to blend several exposures for a "multiple personality" shot, in which a single person appears in more than one place in the finished image.

Just about everything else, I don't use a tripod. Almost never for people and cosplay, and absolutely not at a convention.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

I agree with WJS and Nathan that a tripod isn't usually needed for people photos unless you are doing something like studio work of multiple people with the same framing.

There are tripods you can remove the inner tube and flip it around so that the camera connecting end is facing downward. The camera would be between the tripod legs and upside down (best used with a ball head on the tripod). My Slik AMT tripod legs do it. This feature is mostly used with macro photography. The main hassle with tripods is setup time and time spent changing it when you want a different angle.

A strong monopod with a tilt or ball head might help you with angles and positions you can't fit yourself into or ones that are not possible like really high angles without anything around to stand on. The monopod needs to be strong enough to support the weight of a SLR when extended. You wouldn't want it breaking while your camera is 4 ft above your head, haha.
Unread 09-15-2014, 05:29 AM   #5
Access

It's not the tripod itself but the head that can be used to change the angle. Most heads are designed for a specific purpose -- ball heads, pan and tilt heads, etc. Some of the cheap / inexpensive tripods might have a built-in low quality head.

Most heads will have a standard screw mount attached, this is built in to most cameras but there are variations so be sure to check if the camera you intend to use it will accept this. For cellphone cameras, you will likely need some kind of other mount, I don't know much about this. Most people with smartphones just give the camera to a friend to take their photo when they want one, rather than carry a tripod around.

Self photography is not easy, even if you have a tripod, there are other issues you will encounter like framing.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote