Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #166
Tenchi Fan
The PENTAX guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsugeek View Post
Well if you're REALLY on a budget, you ought to buy a used camera (I use the Fred Miranda buy/sell forums). You should be able to pick up a XTi (or better yet, a 20D) for ~350-400, and less if the seller needs to sell it quickly. Older cameras will be cheaper. Skip the kit lens and get a nice lens, if possible. Glass >> body.

True. Be sure to check on the shutter actuations when buying used. Each dslr has a # of actuations before the shutter may fail and need replacing. The shutter may last before the # or after the # depending on type of usage.

I would probably pass on a used dslr if sold by a pro if it has a lot of actuations. They tend to take lots of shots. Always good to ask them about the count because they may just use it as a backup and hardly have touched the camera.

Unread 07-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #167
winterwish
Explosive Photographer!

Since we're on the topic of 20Ds.

Beware of dirty image sensors - you may need to take into the shop for $50 cleanings.

In my case, the sensor had actual scratches on it, and I had to return it to the Adorama used department for a refund.

Winter Wish/Cosplay Photography:
http://winterwish.net

Upcoming Cons: Fanime, Anime Expo, Yaoicon
Willing to do shoots around the SF area via PM.
winterwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2008, 03:13 AM   #168
bishop27
Banned

the new D700... hehehe ^^
bishop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2008, 04:19 AM   #169
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop27 View Post
the new D700... hehehe ^^
Hee... hee.... you peeked....
TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2008, 10:48 PM   #170
winterwish
Explosive Photographer!

I thought it was a joke.
... til I saw Photographers' Bay.

Joke's on me =/

Unread 07-07-2008, 12:27 AM   #171
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinjixikari View Post
I thought it was a joke.
... til I saw Photographers' Bay.

Joke's on me =/
Yep. A D300 with FX! Just what I've been looking for.
Come on D3X...
TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 01:11 AM   #172
winterwish
Explosive Photographer!

Also... if you're looking for

1)cheap
2)double zoom of normal point and shoots (7x vs 3x)
3)stationary lens IN the camera vs something like this.
4)anti-shake
5)thin and small
6)not spectacular image quailty - but takes pictures you can make out and show to your friends.

basically, this is your cheap "con camera" with -mid-zoom for those giant naruto gatherings. it doesn't do anything spectuarly, but it's fine for most things unless you're doing a high quality private photoshoot.

may I recommend the Casio Exilim EX-V7. $189 @ Amazon.
Review of the camera here.

Last edited by winterwish : 07-07-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Unread 07-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #173
november.eyes
Srsly.

Rather than start a new thread with the same purpose, just thought I'd post here

I've been thinking about getting a camera to take some small photoshoots with friends in cosplay and civies. Thing is, reading through this thread, I've understood minimal of terms used when describing the cameras (because I'm a newbie like that D: ). So I thought maybe someone could recommend a camera (and/or lenses) that would...
- be around 200 - 250 dollars
- take photo's with nice definition. No fuzzy edges
- take photo's with lot's of colour. I've always adored photos where the clothing colours seem to explode right off the photo. Nice clear colours.

(Ps: how much are lenses normally?)
november.eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 02:36 AM   #174
winterwish
Explosive Photographer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by november.eyes View Post

(Ps: how much are lenses normally?)
Camera bodies run from $300 and up.
Lenses range from $80 to $8000.

Unread 07-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #175
Tohru Mizuno
Asagiri no Miko

Jumping into this thread looking for some advice

I'm planning on upgrading my camera within the next few months. I want a point-and-shoot simply because I want a camera I can carry around with me everywhere I go, as I'm always taking pictures. Right now I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2, and I have been eyeing these two:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18

I quite like the sharp, bright colours I manage to get with my Panasonic, that's why I'm mostly looking at other Panasonic models. However I'm not so keen at how slow she is when I'm taking pictures under low-light, or how the pictures come out looking very blurry if the subjects aren't still. Under the price range of those two (here in Portugal both have a retail price of 350-400 euros), are there other brands I should look into? I'd like a camera that allowed me to snap pictures that didn't requires my subjects to be fully still, or is that hopeless wishing?

Also, when snapping pictures at night, the visibility on the LCD screen is about 7% or less... is that common?

Thank you for your help!
Unread 07-16-2008, 10:26 PM   #176
VashtehCrampede

[quote=shinjixikari;2380019]Here's the problem with the D40/60: it lacks a focus motor.
Translation: you can't use some Nikon lenses when you want those, if you decide to upgrade your lenses. Mainly the primes AKA fixed zoom low light lenses.
(Yes, I know you can use Sigma HSM lenses.)
QUOTE]

None of canon's bodies have an af motor, and the only lenses you cannot use are ones which you wouldnt have when you are buying your first slr... and you can use them, you just need to go old school and use your hands to focus, like all photographers did before the 80's; when automatic metering works, its really not that big a deal. ;P

Rock on.

P.S. If you do end up buying a canon rebel, and buying any of their ef-s lenses, if for any reason you ever decide to upgrade to a full frame canon digital or film body, all of canon's full frame bodies are manufactured so that you cant use any ef-s lens on them. Likewise, if you ever decided to upgrade to a full frame nikon body, all of your DX lenses would work, albeit with slightly lower resolution. Just some food for thought ;P.

Last edited by VashtehCrampede : 07-16-2008 at 10:41 PM.
VashtehCrampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2008, 04:50 AM   #177
Test Type

[quote=VashtehCrampede;2530992]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinjixikari View Post
Here's the problem with the D40/60: it lacks a focus motor.
Translation: you can't use some Nikon lenses when you want those, if you decide to upgrade your lenses. Mainly the primes AKA fixed zoom low light lenses.
(Yes, I know you can use Sigma HSM lenses.)
QUOTE]

None of canon's bodies have an af motor
True but all of the 60+ autofocus EOS-mount lenses that Canon have produced since moving to the EOS system and all the Tamron, Tokina, Sigma, etc EOS-mount AF lenses have motors in the lenses.

The difference between the Canon and the Nikon situation is that Canon made a total system change to a completely new mount system using in-lens motors 21 years ago while Nikon begun selling low-end bodies that could only use a limited number of their AF lenses (and only a tiny handful of third party lenses) just over a year and a half ago.

Test Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #178
SpookyElectric
Vanship Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohru Mizuno View Post
I'd like a camera that allowed me to snap pictures that didn't requires my subjects to be fully still, or is that hopeless wishing?
If the problem is camera shake, "Image Stabilization" / "Vibration Reduction" will help. As will better high ISO performance, and lower f/stop optics will allow for faster shutter speeds. (TZ5 looks marginally better than the FZ18 from test images)
As for cosplayer movement, I don't think it's really that unreasonable to ask them to hold still. They shouldn't need to be perfectly still, just not real movement. I know they have a habit of moving around - I have the same problem - but when you ask they tend to listen.
And in sunlight, I don't think any camera should have a problem capturing a fairly fast motion.

Also, flash is an option for capturing motion. Unfortunately P&S flashes tend to look pretty bad for anything except fill-light use in already well lit environments. However, Canon's G9 (and I think some of the others in that series like G7) will let you attach a real flash, which you can use bounced or with a diffuser or off camera to get nicer looking flash photos. (Though the G9 may be out of your budget)

As for not seeing much on the screen in low light having an optical viewfinder could help. I can't tell if that FZ18 has one, or if it's just a view to an LCD.
Personally I haven't had problems in low light so much as a problem in harsh sunlight where I can't make out what's on the LCD. So I personally think some sort of optical viewfinder is important.

Regarding how colorful the images are, my Canon and Nikon cameras have a "Vivid" mode, which you may want to try out in a store or something. But the contrast and saturation enhancement can be done yourself in image editing software.

As for other P&S recommendations, I do not recommend Kodak or HP, which seem weirdly popular (maybe they're cheap?). My own research has lead to a leaning towards Canon, Panasonic, and Fuji for compact/non-SLR cameras.

As for the Nikon D40/D60 lack of focusing motor. I'm amazed how much people seem to obsess over that. But yet I don't think any of the people who do have ever used one of those cameras. Pretty much all newer lenses have internal motors. And nice inexpensive low f/stop ancient stuff doesn't do any sort of AF anyway. So for me, no motor on my D40 hasn't been an issue.

Last edited by SpookyElectric : 07-17-2008 at 05:57 PM.
SpookyElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 07:51 AM   #179
SirMiYavI21
Believe It!

I honistly am look for somthing damn good camra I run my own site all about cosplay and I want a camra.. but to be plunt I dont know a thing about keeping one safe, clean and so on right now I have a kodak v1003 10MP camra with a 2 gig cd card is this a good one it works fine but I dont know what I did to it now its blurrry

CONs we are going to try to make it to!

Anime Evolution 2008, Kumoricon 2008,
Aki Con 2008 and ORYCON 2008
SirMiYavI21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2008, 05:02 PM   #180
edwardsan

Well, I didn't read the whole thread to see if anyone else has mentioned this. But, I have a Kodak C813. It works very well. I have taken several cosplay pics with it. The only problem with it is that it eats batteries and the software can be a pain. Of course, I have an old comp, maybe that's why the software sucks.

It also has an incredible zoom feature on it. Perfect for cons and other far -away events.lol It's a good camera. Sadly enough I don't know it's price range. It was bought for me on Christmas. I'll look up the price and come back!

EDIT

Here's some info on the camera.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...&pq-path=11580

Hope I helped!^^

-Edwardsan

Last edited by edwardsan : 07-26-2008 at 05:09 PM.
edwardsan is offline   Reply With Quote