Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #181
Demon Doll
*~Blessed Be~*

I own a Nikon Coolpix 8.0 Meg cam
It's about in the 200's range on price. It takes beautiful pics, it's a small cam so it's easy to take around. Also takes video and audio recordings.

Costumes working on: American Dream & Dust <3

Cons
Comikaze Sat. only. Bethany Cabe(from iron man comics) and later in the day Dust(from x-men comics)(< Dropped due to unrest in the middle east)
Nuke the fridge con American Dream(if finished) Dust(if AD isn't finished)
Long Beach Comic Con (Maybe)
Cosplay FB page
Demon Doll is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #182
Fireheart Storm
Tommyknockers

I'm taking a photography class, and have been interested in photography for a long time, I would like to move beyond the simpel point and shoot little camera my parents got my sister and I for Christmas last year (it's a sony cybershot)

I was doing a bit of looking around, and the Nikon D40 came up sevrele times recomended, and you can buy it bundled with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR Lens

The price rang for this is landing some where in the $300.

I was woundering what the opion on this camera was? I intend to be able to use this for a while, so I'm open to other sugestions as well, my price rang is $200-$500.
Unread 08-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #183
shiroin
Banned

D40+18-55VR is a great lightweight setup that i would definately recommend as a entry point to SLR cameras.
shiroin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #184
Tenchi Fan
The PENTAX guy

Nikon D80 should be discounted as soon as the D90 is announced officially in the next month or so.
Unread 10-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #185
Eliselle

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good entry DSLR (preferably Nikon). I currently use a Nikon D40 and when I'm shooting my sister's plays, often the loud shutter sound would put off the audience near by. I generally don't mind the shutter when I'm shooting portraits, but in quiet situations, it can a bit embarrassing.
Thank you!
Eliselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #186
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliselle View Post
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good entry DSLR (preferably Nikon). I currently use a Nikon D40 and when I'm shooting my sister's plays, often the loud shutter sound would put off the audience near by. I generally don't mind the shutter when I'm shooting portraits, but in quiet situations, it can a bit embarrassing.
Thank you!
The Nikon D60 replaces the Nikon D40 as the entry-level Nikon DSLR.

Unfortunately, the shutter sound is audible on DSLR cameras, because the shutter is mechanical. It is the sound the shutter panel makes when it opens and closes. Some DSLR cameras are better than others in keeping this noise down (i.e. very high-end professional cameras are quieter), but all of them will make noise to some extent. I have owned a D50, D200, and D300, and they all have audible shutter noises.

Likely, you will need to buy or make an enclosure for the camera to dampen the noise. Prices for manufactured enclosures vary, but they are generally very expensive.

These are two places that sell manufactured enclosures.
http://www.robertsimaging.com/search.jsp
http://www.soundblimp.com/

You could probably make something that covers the camera if you want to save money (i.e. toss a towel over your camera).

(In general, point-and-shoot cameras don't make shutter noise, because the shutter is electronic, not mechanical.)

Last edited by Eriol : 10-15-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2008, 05:59 PM   #187
Eliselle

Thank you so much for your advice Eriol.

I shall try using something to muffle the sound at the next performance so I don't interrupt too many people and still capture the moments.

The enclosures you linked me to gave me a general idea what to make-shift. I agree, they are a little too costly for my price range... They don't even make a model for my poor little camera. Ha ha.

Thanks again!!
Eliselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #188
TomodachiFriend
Pick The Chair!

You could also try the Panasonic G1. It doesn't have a mechanical shutter and its performance is close to that of an SLR. It's new but the price has already been reduced at many stores.
TomodachiFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 09:06 AM   #189
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomodachiFriend View Post
You could also try the Panasonic G1. It doesn't have a mechanical shutter and its performance is close to that of an SLR. It's new but the price has already been reduced at many stores.
That product will not go on sale until November 2008, so it is not a viable solution for this person currently. The person sounds like he/she can make a homemade noise dampener for the camera, and that will be cheaper than buying another camera.
Unread 11-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #190
winterwish
Explosive Photographer!

I'd recommend a Panasonic Lumix FZ28

18-300 in terms of dSLR (1.5 crop btw) lens range.
1280x800 HD video (50 min w/4gig card)
Av, manual focus, pop up flash. All that good jazz.

Light, size is about between a point and shoot & dSLR.

Only $300 off Amazon. I'm loving mine as an alternative when I don't want to lug around 10 pounds of equipment just for a good photo with my friends. =)

Winter Wish/Cosplay Photography:
http://winterwish.net

Upcoming Cons: Fanime, Anime Expo, Yaoicon
Willing to do shoots around the SF area via PM.
winterwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 06:12 PM   #191
Inoli
I Nom Swords

Alright, I've got a question for the Which Digi should I buy

I'm an SLR Photographer ...but we're talking analog, I Adore my Hasselblad and my Olympus OM series cameras but yeaahhh I suppose it's time to upgrade because everyone wants pictures NOW! that and cost efficient wise *sniffles* digital is the way to go *clings to Fiber paper and rolls of film in tears*

What I'll be using the camera for:
Professional photography which includes Cosplay, portraits, weddings, commercial...>.> and yes fun

what I want out of it:
+easy step from Annalog so pretty user friendly
+has...to have... manual mode
+Universal flash foot, or least happy to take my adapter
+non dedicated lens[is this even possible with today's cameras? IF I buya Acne camera I want to also use Xcompany lens if its possible any company that's more willignto make adapters for their systems?]
+not...going to eat me alive financially. got my degree just need exsperiance for my resume also I'm not going to be printing above poster size so I dont need OMG TOP OF THE LINE PIXILATIONS lets face it we can get a good camera under $1000 I'm all for saving up.

Any advice is quite appreciated! Thank you SO much in advance!

[/color] [/size]
Inoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #192
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Inoli Requirement 1: +easy step from Annalog so pretty user friendly
Advice: I suggest that you go to a camera store and try out the cameras. The way the controls are laid out on the camera will influence which camera you buy. I have never used a Hasselblad, so I don't understand what transition from analog you are seeking.

Inoli Requirement 2: +has...to have... manual mode
Advice: Any of the DSLR cameras from major brands (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus) will have this mode. Again, you should go to a camera store and try the camera out, as how the camera operates in manual mode will differ.

Inoli Requirement 3: +Universal flash foot, or least happy to take my adapter
Advice: Each camera brand has its own hot shoe. If you want to use your existing film flashes, you will have to buy an adapter that fits with your chosen DSLR hot shoe. Note that some of your film flashes will work with DSLRs (check specs first), but certain functions specific to the camera will not be available using film flashes. Other film flash just simply won't work with DSLRs.

Inoli Requirement 4: +non dedicated lens(is this even possible with today's cameras?)
Advice: Nearly impossible. Each camera brand has its own set of lenses. Because of digital technology, the lens has computer chips inside that communicate with the DSLR camera body, so lenses cannot be interchanged between brands. Some third-party companies do make a limited set of mount adapters to allow you to mount a lens from a different camera brand than your camera, but such adapters are limited to a few lenses. You can also buy third-party lenses like Tokina and Sigma that can be mounted on your chosen camera. These are cheaper than the brand name cameras, but certain functions may not be available.

Inoli Requirement 4: +not...going to eat me alive financially.
Advice: The entry level DSLR cameras are about $500-$800 (Nikon D60, Canon Digital Rebel XTi, etc.). A off-camera flash (strobe) will cost about $300-$500 depending on model.

Overall, your choices should focus around the major camera brands: Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, and Olympus. Nikon and Canon are the dominant brands with plenty of first-party and third-party accessories.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon

Last edited by Eriol : 11-20-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Unread 11-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #193
sklathill
Evident Maniac

analog? Minolta 7Ds are cheap these days.

manual? They all got them.

universal lens mount? The Pentax K mount is the closest thing right now... unless you count Olympus and having the shortest flange distance, which makes all adapters possible.

cheap? Lots of cheap stuff from 2+ years ago.

flash? You gotta be careful with flash. the flash trigger voltage might not be what either side of the connection wants. Easy to end up with a dead flash or dead body if you're not careful.

if you're doing professional portraiture and weddings... well, there are some standard stuff out there these days. I'm personally not sure how I'd do a pro wedding setup for under 1000, really.
Freelance freelancer: music composing, writing, photographing, and gaming for slightly less than an eternity...
sklathill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #194
Aera

Right now I'm desperately trying to decide between a Sony Cybershot DSC-H10 and H50.
The price difference is not so much, but I don't know if I really get so much more functions for it.

First I had thought about buying an expensive SLR, but changed my mind, because I'm afraid that I will grow tired of so many functions and options. That's why I decided to buy something cheaper for the beginning.
What I want are clear and sharp colors, good pictures taken inside rooms without a flashlight and the possibility to work with sharp and blurred areas in the picture.
I've been wondering if the H10 would already be enough for these things or if I really need the H50. And all thes tests and reviews on the web just confuse me more and more Basicly both cameras are not bad, but I still can't tell which one would be better for my needs.

Does anyone have experiences with one of these two cameras?

Sorry for my bad english >_<
Aera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #195
Tenchi Fan
The PENTAX guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aera View Post
Right now I'm desperately trying to decide between a Sony Cybershot DSC-H10 and H50.
The price difference is not so much, but I don't know if I really get so much more functions for it.
Looking at both specs side by side the H50 may have a bit of advantage in lower light.
H10 (F3.5 - F8.0)
H50 (F2.7 - F4.5)

H50 seems to have a bit more flash range. Sometimes good , and sometime you will need to a diffuser on flash because it may be too bright.

It also has aperture and shutter priority so you can have more control over depth of field, etc.

Last edited by Tenchi Fan : 01-12-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Tenchi Fan is offline   Reply With Quote