Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-17-2009, 04:19 AM   #212
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Well, hello photographers!

I'm also looking to upgrade to a DSLR sometime here in the future. (Currently I have a Canon Powershot A540. I liked it and it worked pretty well, but it's getting a little old and beat up. The flash doesn't always wok now and sometimes the lens doesn't open all the way. But it's been battered many times and it still keeps working...).

I'm willing to spend about $500 on a camera (possibly a little more). My dad looked around online a bit and suggested the Nikon Coolpix P90 and the Canon Digital Rebel XSi (I think). The Canon camera is at least $100-150 more- would it really be worth it in the long run? And out of curiosity, are there any other SLRs in that price range that would be worth looking at?

Thank you very much!
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #213
shiroin
Banned

the P90 is not a SLR. Perhaps you mean the D90? which is a more expensive SLR than the Canon XSi, but its performance (high ISO, focusing, video) well surpasses the XSi.

I will elaborate more when I am back.
shiroin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #214
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

In the $500 range its the P90 which yeah its one of the higher end P&S. Still not DSLR. But i'd avoid it none the less.

But answer this question, going from a slightly pocketable A540. Are you willing to go large with a DSLR? DSLR's are great and all. But to some people its just not worth the size/weight even though they've gotten down in price dramatically over the years.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #215
StarsCASSiOPEiA

Ah, okay, thanks for telling me about the P90! When I looked at that camera I was a bit confused, Dad had called it an SLR. He must've just skimmed reviews on it's Amazon page or something, which would make sense. And now that I've done a little searching I see the D90. It's a bit expensive for me... perhaps one of the older D-something models would be better.

I honestly wouldn't mind the size difference (and I know what you mean, the A540 is pretty good for just shoving in a bag and such). I don't mind carrying around that extra weight if it means I can get a clear picture without flash and lens issues.

Thank you both!

EDIT: Eeep. Expensive. T_T I'm taking a look at the Canon XS now, but I'm not sure how I feel about buying an older model when you said the D90 already surpasses its updated version.

Last edited by StarsCASSiOPEiA : 06-17-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Additions to post
Unread 06-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #216
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

A lot of what you want to do is going to depend on your commitment to photography.
If this is going to be a solid hobby, (something that you're not going to walk away from in a couple of months,) then I would suggest a used D80, D70s or even a used member if the Canon XT line. Remember, used doens't mean bad it just means used. Most of them are well kept and have been sold because the user has upgraded, has an extra body that they don't use, or just couldn't afford to keep it. Pentax has killer cameras as well the "K" series are the most under rated line on the market right now, and is at least as good as the "top two."

Cruise Amazon (avoid Ebay) for some bargains.
Remember, you are also setting up for the family of lenses you intend to buy as well, so choose the system that best serves you and your style.
TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 03:51 AM   #217
StarsCASSiOPEiA

Tfcreate, you're certainly right about that! I've been interested in photography for years and I figure something better than my beat-up point and shoot is in order. It's not like I want to be a total professional or anything, but I do enter photographs in contests like the county fair and such (which is surprisingly really competitive).

Thanks for the advice on looking at used cameras! Certainly lowers the price range, and it's probably a good idea for someone with a limited budget like me. I just remembered that one of my friend's close relatives is a professional photographer, he might know where to get used equipment from somewherer nearby (avoiding shipping costs!).

Thank you very much for all of your advice!
Unread 06-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #218
sklathill
Evident Maniac

Instead of a new camera, have you considered a new firmware?

Certain Canon cameras, including your A540, have the CHDK firmware available as an option to them. It can definitely add some cool stuff. Live histogram on shooting, super fast shutter speeds, intervalometer, usb tethering. You might want to check it out.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
Freelance freelancer: music composing, writing, photographing, and gaming for slightly less than an eternity...
sklathill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 03:43 AM   #219
StarsCASSiOPEiA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sklathill View Post
Instead of a new camera, have you considered a new firmware?

Certain Canon cameras, including your A540, have the CHDK firmware available as an option to them. It can definitely add some cool stuff. Live histogram on shooting, super fast shutter speeds, intervalometer, usb tethering. You might want to check it out.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
Interesting, thank you!

What's driving me up the wall, though, is the body of my A540 itself. The flash only goes off maybe 10% of the time (on the standard Auto shooting mode) and the lens doesn't open all the way. Sometimes I have to gently play with it to get it to work correctly.

If I can find a way to fix those two problems, the firmware would probably be something that'd be reasonable. Thank you very much!
Unread 06-23-2009, 11:46 PM   #220
martinhwong
Photographer

I'm planning to get the Nikon D300s (D400) when it comes out, what do you guys think? good for cosplay?
Or is there any suggestion? I'm planning to spend around $1,500 - $2,000 USD

P.S.: I created a facebook group for cosplay photography:
http://www.facebook.com/events.php?r...d=101681341666
martinhwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 02:31 AM   #221
Tatsu-chan

hi I've been thinkig about this for a long time:
I have a camera but the screen busted on it and it doesn't have a viewfinder on it so essentially its worthless unless I get it fixed
Should I go out and buy a new camera or would it probably be better to get the screen fixed? which do you think is cheaper? and if I do get a new one what would you guys reccommend?
I'dwant a digital that has a viewfinder also, I would want it to also be a little sturdier, but also have good features for an artist, but I don't want it too pricey as I'm going to college soon if anyone could help me out that'd be great ^__^

Last edited by Tatsu-chan : 06-24-2009 at 02:37 AM. Reason: its late...-_-
Tatsu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #222
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

Um fixing the screen will be like half the cost of the camera. And I have no idea what camera you have.

But Canon's are a fairly safe bet. Their A500/1000 series cameras are budget cameras as they don't include Li-ion batteries and are larger. But they have many of the features their compact bretheren have for much more.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #223
ronaldhennessy

Hey fellow photogs. What do you think about the Nikon d5000? I currently have a d50 and aside from the HD video, SD-HC and faster fps, is it a giant leap or a small step? I also see it does not have a LCD on the top, which I've gotten quite used to on my d50 for the 4 years I had it.
My Blog: http://www.ronaldhennessy.com
ronaldhennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #224
Jim3535

The D5000 looks like a nice camera. It's a much newer generation that the D50, so you can expect better processing and better ISO performance. There are also some nice features like the articulating screen and live view / video.

There are a few drawbacks to it though. It doesn't have an autofocus motor in the body, so you have to manually focus with non AF-S lenses. This might be a big problem if you are serious about photography and want to get some new lenses in the future. The screen is also a smaller, lower resolution one compared to the ones on the D90, D300, D700, D3, etc. The loss of the top LCD would be annoying too. Not only for convenience, but because the rear screen would be used, and that would burn battery power much faster.

The other catch is the price. It's pretty close to the D90, so if you're really into photography, that might be a better upgrade. Alternatively, If you can find an D80 or D200, that would still be a nice upgrade and much cheaper. (I shoot with a D80)
Jim3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #225
FiveRings

The D90 is a more logical successor to the D50 than the D5000, IMHO.

I just picked up a Canon T1i personally and I have to say, I love it! If that's over your budget, the T1 was just recently announced and will be out in the next few weeks. If you have a bigger budget, you can go for the Canon 50D or Nikon D300 or D700.

I was talking to the guys at a local camera shop and he summed it up pretty nicely in saying that your camera and it's features/sensors will likely be out of date in a year or so, but your lenses (unless they change the mount) will last you a decade and keep most of it's value. Focus more on your lenses and less on your camera.
FiveRings is offline   Reply With Quote