Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #226
ronaldhennessy

I broke down and got a refurb'd D90 at a local camera shop (much better pricing than Best Buy BTW). I also got the kit lens. I notice the lens is much bigger and zoom a lot better than the usual 18-55mm. I'm hoping to get good use of this for about 5+ years. I put in 4 years with my D50, so I consider that a pretty good run. Hope to use it well at Otakon!
My Blog: http://www.ronaldhennessy.com
ronaldhennessy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #227
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Now I'm going to say a dirty word to you....
PRACTICE.
The technology can't do it all, and the worst way to break in a new camera is the
first time you really need it.
And, Congratulations.
TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #228
Misake-chan

i have a mega question ;-;

ok, so im thinking of buying a camera that can take pictures like these
http://akusesu.deviantart.com/art/An...Angel-83015729
and that i can use for a long time to come, im going into photography, so basically a good camera that can be used for good cosplay photoshoots, and for photography classes..

i was looking at a 400d buuut.. im not sure which one would suit my needs best :/ the price can be set around 500 (or a little more)

any ideas? did i choose the wrong models? Suggestions?

Last edited by Misake-chan : 07-28-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #229
Tenchi Fan
The PENTAX guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misake-chan View Post

and that i can use for a long time to come, im going into photography, so basically a good camera that can be used for good cosplay photoshoots, and for photography classes..

i was looking at a 400d buuut.. im not sure which one would suit my needs best :/ the price can be set around 500 (or a little more)
Not sure of the camera used but it might be at a premium for the lens itself. You should budget for the lenses also. Best first purchase is usually a fast 50mm.
Unread 07-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #230
shiroin
Banned

Quote:

his (the photographer's) setup is very expensive. 400D + 50/1.8 might be able to achieve similar effects.

good luck with photography.
shiroin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #231
Jim3535

Quote:

A DSLR and a fast lens is your best bet. I can't really comment on canon stuff since I shoot nikon. A 50mm f1.8 is the cheapest way to get a lot of creative potential with depth of field effects.

Just keep in mind that it's the photographer that takes the picture, not the camera (despite what camera ads tell you). Also, be aware that some post processing is often necessary to give photos a certain look.
Jim3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #232
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:

That photograph most likely had some post processing done to it. Thus, you're looking at the cost of software on top of your photographic equipment.

The best expenditure of money initially is to upgrade your skills. Take a photography class or workshop. Read some books on the subject. Then, work your way to the camera and lenses. Lenses last a lot longer than the camera (as cameras become obsolete quickly), so consider putting more money into the lenses.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon

Last edited by Eriol : 07-29-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #233
Misake-chan

thanks Tenchi fan, Shiroin, Jim 3535, and Eriol! you guys all helped a lot! I have a very good idea on what im gonna do now
Unread 07-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #234
Alpha Odyssey
Will work for food! XD

Quote:

Hi, YaY!!!

Looking at the picture, it looks as if it had a bit of post processing. The contrast looks like it was increased. Colour saturation looks like it was boosted, too.

Congrats on getting your future camera. I'd just looked at a B&H catalog today (July 31 2009). I was looking at the prices for entry level gears from Pentex, NIKON, Canon, Olympus, Sigma....you're in luck! There is an entry level camera with lens for under 500.00.

Which camera brand is better? None, all. The quality for slrs are pretty equal for all cameras since it's so compeditive. At this level, the quality and price will be similar. No one camera maker will shock you buy packing in a high end lens or something.

The key thing to remember, as everyone said, buy a cheap body (because Today's tech is tomorrow's landfill) and invest in your lens. All entry level slr will likely take about (under) 100,000 shots before it dies. Lenses are more important than the body.

Great advice from others: buy yourself an inexpensive 50mm 1.8. It should be around 100.00. There's no sense in trying to find one used at a good price. This lens tends to hold it's value very well (check online auction site)...and can still get 90% of it's retail value unless it's really abused.

If you're at any future con that I'm at, you're welcome to hang out with me. I usually gravitate towards other photographers and chitchat (sucking information from their brains, actually). We'll shoot and exchange ideas.

Good luck! Let us know what you finally get!

Personal opinion, Nikon:
Personally, I use nikon for it's F mount lens. Nikon's F mount hasn't changed since Dwight D Eisenhower was president. Like fixing a Landrover in a 3rd world country, if I find myself in some backwater, 3rd world country, in some house of ilreupute, and come across a Nikon lens, I can throw it on any 21st Cen Nikon body and keep going! Of course it's not realistic for me to end up in 3rd world country (I rather in Japan if I were in such a situation).

With such a longevity of lenses in the world, I believe I can find used lenses at a cheaper price than other camera brand.

Also, to me, Nikon has the most logical layout of controls.

Anyone interested in shooting in Lakeview Cemetery? James A Garfield has a great gothic-ish tomb there.
http://images.google.com/images?clie...N&hl=en&tab=wi

Famous angel in Lakeview:
http://www.pbase.com/jerry_k/image/78924018 (not my gallery)
Alpha Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 01:57 AM   #235
Misake-chan

wow! thanks a lot for this! If i see you around a con near me, ill deffinetly talk to ya!
Thanks for the congrats as well, im really excited about getting a better camera than i already have : D!
Unread 08-07-2009, 08:37 AM   #236
Little Miss Sin
Miss Sin

Hello, I am in need of some assistance in trying to figure out what camera to buy. I have an old canon that still works but I now wish to step up and buy a DSLR.

My price range is from 700+, if that helps you any with selecting some DSLR’s for me.

This is not only for cosplaying purposes but for fashion, art and college as well. I would love the images to be clear, and detailed, as well as a few recommended lenses to allow for great moving shots, and other purposes. Any other items that would be of great use to my camera would also be loved, such as lens cleaner, something that has dust reduction sensors, types of flashes if any, ECT.

In all I know that how the image turns out is the photographer itself, and their editing skills if any are used, and how they took the picture.

Thank you for your time.
Miss Sin.
Little Miss Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #237
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Miss Sin View Post
My price range is from 700+, if that helps you any with selecting some DSLR’s for me.
Depending on where you live I'd try to go to a camera store to just at least hold the camera first. Bestbuy will have nikon and canon usually. But at $700 I would say Canon or Pentax would be your two best bets. I use Nikon myself but under $700 if you plan to break out of the kit lens and are under a budget you have very few budget options.

Except for a maybe a 50MM Prime lens. I would say just buy a Kit set and wait to you figure out what else to buy at a later time.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #238
Little Miss Sin
Miss Sin

I think you misunderstood me, $700 is the cheapest I will go, under 700 is no go for me, thus the 700 plus sign meaning up $700 would be loved.
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #239
djaxle
Which way to the Chapp'ai

Little Miss Sin.

May I suggest the brand new Nikon D3000 - http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09...nikond3000.asp
Unread 08-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #240
Little Miss Sin
Miss Sin

I have never tried a Nikon before, the price is $599 but for what is has are interestingly well off for being so cheap (if that is the correct term).

I'm interested to say the least. Thank you, this will be in my Camera list. When I get six cameras that intrest me, I will then head to the store or stores and from there hold each camera ect ect, and make a final decision.

This is one.