Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #346
tsuoi_kaze
PERSONA! *bang*

So would it be better to skip looking for a used one and just try for refurbished? Or does refurbishing the camera do nothing to the actuation count?

As for the cameras use, I just need one that will be at least decent as an all-purpose camera. Like I said, I'm looking to use it for school as well as personal use, so I could end up having to do a wide range of projects. I'm not financially in a position where I can be picky about features or the size of the camera. But that's kind of obvious from the fact that I can't even seem to afford a t1i.
tsuoi_kaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #347
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuoi_kaze View Post
I'm looking for my first DSLR, and I really liked the Rebel t1i, which is what I borrowed during my high school photography class. The problem is that I can't even seem to find a refurbished or used one for under the price of a new one! I was looking into other models and realized that I have no clue if it's worth it to go for an older/cheaper camera. This isn't just going to be for my own personal use, but also for college photography electives (I'm not a photography major, so I've been told that I don't need a really high-end camera).

Any advice would be helpful.
Digital SLR's for the most part age much more gracefully than point and shoots. If you are going canon, you can get a Rebel XSi (which is what I own) or a Rebel T1i. While each model is a little better than the previous one, you are still getting an amazing capable camera.

If you are getting a used one, get a used Canon 40D with less than 25,000 shots on it. Don't be afraid to ask the owner their usage for the SLR.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime California, Comikaze Expo, Pacific Media Expo
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 12:47 AM   #348
FinalEVA
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!

I just got a Sony a390 (best price and great reviews online). I'm very satisfied with my purpose and have been playing with the manual settings - aperture, shutter, iso - quite alot.. I'm hoping to give it a whirl at AFest in a couple weeks.

Pen Pen (Evangelion) - 10%
Duke Pantarei (Tales of Vesperia) - 95% - wig needs restyling.
Cecil Harvey (FF Dissidia) - 10%

Planned:

Emperor Gestahl (Final Fantasy VI)
Rakushun Rat form (Twelve Kingdoms)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Link Zora Armor (LoZ: Twilight Princess)

Desired, but not confirmed:

Dart Dragoon Form (LoD)
Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

PM me for free photoshoot in Seattle area.
My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/finalevacosplay/
FinalEVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #349
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuoi_kaze View Post
So would it be better to skip looking for a used one and just try for refurbished? Or does refurbishing the camera do nothing to the actuation count?
Refurbished cameras are backed by some part of the manufacturer's warranty (new cameras generally have a 1-year warranty; refurbished ones usually have anywhere between 30-90 days on the warranty).

Depending on what camera part was reconditioned/repaired, it may or may not have affected the shutter count.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #350
ShadowTwinz

Hello, well I was looking at the
Sony DSC-H1 Cybershot Digital Camera
Would that be a good camera to buy if I plan to use if for, Video, and Cosplay photography.

If you recommend different please keep the camera in a 200 to 300 price range but I will go a little over but not far.

Thank you for reading an responding
ShadowTwinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #351
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

Just that sony you listed is 5 years old. Way before the HD video push. So if you're planning on doing video even for just youtube action I'd say look for a newer model.

I'm not too sure what to recommend. But I usually recommend going with canon on the P&S stuff. You can't afford the G series, but you might be able to snag one from their Powershot lines. The PowerShot SX20 as its starting to be closed-out for the next model. From what i've been told it does decent video.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 01:55 AM   #352
danniebloo
iz reading ur posts

So...i'm gonna be lazy and not got through 24 pages and hope somebody will help me out :P
so i recently saw some photos taken with a Nikon D90 and they were seriously some of the clearest, gorgeous photos i've ever seen~ Needless to say, i was impressed :P However, there's no way i could afford this camera as my budget is $200 :P But what i basically want is a camera that takes good portrait shots and random shots at cons (of course~ x; ). Also, I'd love a camera with an anti-blur option. The camera I have right now is a Canon PowerShot A610 and it blurs *everything* I've looked all through the manual and everything trying to find an anti-blur option but haven't found anything. So something that automatically prevents blurring is a must :P
I also need a camera that's not too technically complicated lol i'm usually good with technical stuff but for some reason, most digi cams confuse the heck out of me :P
so yeah...any help would be appreciated!
Unread 10-04-2010, 02:23 AM   #353
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

A D70 or D80 might be more in your price range. Think of them as older versions of the D90.
Or check out the Canon equivalents: 300D, 350D, 400D, etc. which are about the same quality.

For portraits, go for a focal length of 50mm or longer. But that's a lens issue, not a camera issue.

To avoid motion blur, set shutter speed to 1 / focal length or faster. Any DSLR (mentioned above) and some point & shoots will have the shutter control to let you do that. If you don't have shutter control, try upping ISO so that maybe the camera's computer will make the shutter faster to compensate.

A tripod or monopod will help you minimize camera motion.

There's also an Image Stabilization, which can help with blur from camera motion, but that's another lens feature, not a camera feature.

Otherwise, there's no such thing as an "anti-blur option".

Last edited by Av4rice : 10-04-2010 at 02:30 AM.
Av4rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #354
oflight
life through a viewfinder

It might be a bit difficult to set up a tripod at a convention. to avoid blur, as mentioned by the above poster you would need something called image stabilization.

practicing holding the camera very still while pressing the shutter can help decrease camera shake. but honestly P&S cameras are not really suited for low light photography. Unless you look into upper tier models.
oflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #355
raistlin_fanno1
archmage

im thinking of getting a olympus e620 is it a good camera or should i look for something else
raistlin_fanno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #356
Arieru

Hey I just started cosplaying this year, and was wondering what camera would you guys suggest I get? I don't know much about cameras, but I'm learning lol.
Arieru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 03:31 AM   #357
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistlin_fanno1 View Post
im thinking of getting a olympus e620 is it a good camera or should i look for something else
Like all Olympus cameras it is a 4/3. I prefer the 3/2 ratio, so I wouldn't go for this brand, but this is really personal taste speaking here.
What you'd want to look at is lens choice, because once you start with a given brand you rarely get out of it, and remember you'll keep your lenses way longer than your body. There are fewer lenses for 4/3 bodies than for 3/2 bodies (third party lens manufacturers like Sigma more rarely adapt their products for the Olympus mount, when Sony and Pentax get about as many as Canon and Nikon).
What you'd want to look at is also how it feels in your hands : if you find the camera a pain to use because controls don't feel right, you won't be able to concentrate on what's important. So I suggest you go to a camera store, try different models in your price range, and see which one feels the most intuitive. Technically speaking, most brands in a given price range are roughly equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arieru View Post
Hey I just started cosplaying this year, and was wondering what camera would you guys suggest I get? I don't know much about cameras, but I'm learning lol.
Depends on what you plan to do with it, and of course your budget.
If you plan on getting serious (as in, do photoshoots and the like) it's nice to have a DSLR, but not everybody has $500 or more to put in a camera.

Last edited by Ashurachan : 10-11-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #358
WinterEffect_
meet me in outer space.

So... help.

I'm getting ready to buy a new camera and the past two that I have purchased have been, well, a waste of money. (oh and I am just looking for a regular digial camera; nothing fancy right now.)

I figure I'm just going to get one from Wallyworld online :p
Here's one I was looking at in-store that I liked:
Canon PowerShot SD-1400, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-4181B001AA/13969242

I don't really want to pay more than $300, but I want to still be able to take beautiful, clear shots. I don't want them to look amazing on the little camera screen, then look like garbage when I put them on the computer.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated because there are so many different ones with only slight differences and I just don't know..
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #359
Tenchi Fan
The PENTAX guy

Sony A230L (refurb) w/18-55mm standard zoom lens @ $ 287 .99 + tax at SonyStyle.com. You could do some research on reviews but not a bad price for a refurb directly from Sony.
Tenchi Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #360
sandquillgw
My hair glows when I sing

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but it seemed better to put this here instead of making a new one. I've always used point and shoots but have decided to upgrade to a dslr. I've decided to get a cannon T2i but as I've never had a camera like this before I was wondering what kinds of accessories are useful and a good investment. I plan to take it to cons and also to do photoshoots for my group. There's just so many different things I've seen I'm not sure what to get first/will be most helpful to me as I'm just starting out. any suggestions?

Katsucon '15
Zenkaikon '15
Wizard World Philly '15

currently working on:

Bravest Warriors - Catbug
Kore wa Zombie desu ka? - Eucliwood
Candyland - Princess Frostine

Plus repairs and improvements on numerous costumes!!
sandquillgw is offline   Reply With Quote