Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #391
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

Radleia:

If you're willing to learn how to use SLR, a DSLR would give you the most long-term quality and flexibility. A new Canon XS kit can be had for about $500, or an XSi kit for a little over $600, or you could get a used one for cheaper. But only if you're ready to tackle the learning curve.

If you want to stay with point & shoot, your budget easily accommodates the good ones. Canon's flagship G12 is well under $500 and the Canon S95 (compact version of the G12 with a few features removed) is well under $400.

All but the cheapest cameras should be reasonably durable.

Macro is a lens function, not really a camera function. It's also not the same as product photography, so I think you're confused. Macro is for extreme closeups, like dew on insects and the small lettering on coins. Product photography generally doesn't get any closer than a whole foot from the subject, and typically more like 2-4 feet distance. The key to good product photography is lighting. If you want to do that with strobes, you'll need a camera with either hotshoe or PC sync capability (so a DSLR or an upper-tier P&S), and remote triggers or cables in addition to the flash units themselves.

Unread 03-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #392
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

Thank you so much for your quick response!

Apparently I was confused. A friend of mine's dad told me I needed to be able to use Macro fro product photography. I probably misunderstood or something.

The camera I'm currently looking at is This but I'm still shopping around. I'm not entirely sure what the list of features means so I'm still not sure. Any thoughts on the matter?

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #393
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

I personally hate the "SLR" looking point and shoot cameras. At this moment I feel they are now sucker cameras that make people think they get something like a DSLR but it isn't.. Unless its highend like the Sony NEX or Olympus PEN where its different interchangeable lenses yet still geared towards point and shoot action.

I'd say go for a canon S95(small) or G12 (midsized) mentioned above. The SX30 you mentioned is the larger brother of these two, it just has a longer zoom due to its size.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #394
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

I'm not even sure what SLR is to be honest.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Unread 03-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #395
Rander

SLR from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera Basically a high end camera.

You could split the difference and get a Micro Four Thirds camera with an Interchangeable Lens, such as the Olympus PEN E-PL1 or a used Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 that would cost a little under $400. Basically you can get DSLR quality pictures and if you want to expand what you want to do with the camera then you can get new lenses or use the full manual mode. The major weakness of these cameras is that they are not good for fast action indoor sports. I have a GF-1 and its great for portraits and low light and is not super compact, but its not huge either.

I've also had a Rebel XS and it is a solid camera (no video though), but as Av4rice said you need to spend some time with it to get the most out of it. With the GF-1 you can pretty much use it as a point and shoot in and get good quality pictures.

For macro, what types of items are you selling? This would determine if you would need a macro lens or not. It looks like the camera you are looking at the minimum focus distance is 1.0 inches so you can get pretty close vs the GF-1 the minimum focus distance is 8 inches.

flickr DeviantART

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."- William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925)

Last edited by Rander : 03-23-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Rander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #396
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

I don't think Radleia is going to know what a "Micro Four Thirds" camera is either.

Radleia,
A point and shoot camera (compact camera), is a camera designed primarily for simple operation. The camera is usually small and lightweight and fits in a pocket or purse. You cannot change the lens and their features are limited. These cameras are generally not sturdy. Your Kodak was probably this type of camera.

A "SLR" camera is basically a camera where the lens can be taken off the camera and replaced with a different lens. DSLR means a digital camera that can change lenses. SLR/DLSR cameras are built to be sturdy. However, they are bigger and heavier than a point and shoot camera. A Canon Rebel XS or Nikon D3100 are DSLR cameras and for about $500-$600, they come with a lens to start (called a kit lens). The kit lens is general-purpose. If you decide you want more out of your photography, you can just buy a different lens rather than a whole new camera.

The Canon Powershot SX30 camera that you linked to is a "bridge camera." It falls between point and shoots and SLR/DSLR cameras in features, size, and weight (but not always price). The lens often cannot be changed. It is sturdier than a point and shoot but not necessarily as well-built as a SLR/DSLR.

With a bridge camera or a DSLR camera, you can meet your goals of
1) cosplay photography
2) product photos
3) video
4) sturdy
to varying degrees.

Cosplay photography and product photography require some skill and practice. If you let the camera do all the work, you are going to get average photos most of the time. Whichever camera you get, spend time to understand how it works. Read some internet articles or books on photography. Learning about photography more is how you get from average to better photos to amazing photos.

Video is going to be okay on bridge cameras and better on DSLR cameras.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon

Last edited by Eriol : 03-24-2011 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Spelling error fix
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #397
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

There's an old SLR saying: "Buy bodies, but invest in glass." Your lenses are at least as important as the camera body, often more so.

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #398
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

And you would be right. I haven't the slightest idea what 'Micro Four Thirds' means...at all.

That SLR article along with what Eriol was saying was very beneficial. When I do get my new camera, I do indeed fully intend to learn everything I can about it's use and how to get the most out of it. I don't expect to depend completely on the camera for great pictures in the artistic sense of the term. I will probably depend on it for a few features though (good close ups, better video, settings my other camera didn't have)

That said, SLR doesn't look like something I need. I by no means intend to take up photography simply for the sake of photography. It's a beautiful art and maybe one day I'll become interested enough to invest more into a camera but for now, with my intentions and my budget I think a bridge camera will be what's best for me. For my purposes, I don't think I'm going to need to be able to switch out the lenses.

Besides should I ever seriously want to pursue photography as a passion, I want to be able to get the basics on a camera that -can't- do everything a more expensive camera can do. After all, I'm not going to want to rely solely on my equipment if it becomes something I'm truly interested in.

As for what I sell, I sell jewelry. Small pieces mostly. Necklaces and the like. With my old camera, I took these pictures with a home made light box. That will probably continue even after I get the new camera. Here's hoping for sharper pictures!

Thank you everyone.

And to further make an ass of myself, This one Actually also looks like a viable option. No video though

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Last edited by Kesra : 03-24-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Unread 03-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #399
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radleia View Post
That said, SLR doesn't look like something I need. I by no means intend to take up photography simply for the sake of photography. It's a beautiful art and maybe one day I'll become interested enough to invest more into a camera but for now, with my intentions and my budget I think a bridge camera will be what's best for me. For my purposes, I don't think I'm going to need to be able to switch out the lenses.

And to further make an ass of myself,This one . Actually also looks like a viable option. No video though
(Bold emphasis mine)
Radleia, the Walmart link to the EOS Rebel XS camera is a DSLR camera (digital SLR camera). The lens can be taken off and changed with another lens. This is the camera that Av4rice was talking about in an earlier post.

The Canon Powershot SX30 you linked to in your original post is a bridge camera. The Canon EOS Rebel XS is a DSLR camera. As you can see, the Canon EOS Rebel XS is only $100 more than the Canon Powershot SX30.

So, which type of camera did you really want (bridge or DSLR)?

Choose, but choose wisely.

Addendum:
An entry-level DSLR camera like the Canon EOS Rebel XS has "automatic" modes like point and shoot cameras and bridge cameras, so you can take pictures without worrying about the details. If you get more passionate with photography, your DSLR camera will have some room to grow. The same often cannot be said of point and shoot cameras and bridge cameras.

Lastly, you should check if a local Walmart store carries both those cameras. If so, you should go to the store and test them. The store often has display models, so you can inspect them. A camera is often a very personal item, so you should be comfortable holding and handling the camera before making the purchase.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon

Last edited by Eriol : 03-25-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Grammar change
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #400
Stormfalcon

One thing to note: if video is important to you and you're looking at the Rebel XS, you might want to hold off a bit longer as the Rebel T3 (not to be confused with the T3i) should be hitting shelves in the coming month, though with the recent disaster that may be a bit iffy. It's an entry-level DSLR like the XS (and should supplant it), but it has video recording that the XS lacks.
Stormfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #401
DavinDaLilAzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfalcon View Post
One thing to note: if video is important to you and you're looking at the Rebel XS, you might want to hold off a bit longer as the Rebel T3 (not to be confused with the T3i) should be hitting shelves in the coming month, though with the recent disaster that may be a bit iffy. It's an entry-level DSLR like the XS (and should supplant it), but it has video recording that the XS lacks.
T3 vs T3i

I've read the posts, but forgot who the original poster was... It depends on what you really want your camera for. The comparison chart plays it's points out, so you can kinda get an idea on what you like more. The T3 goes for around $600 while the T3i is around $900. If money's not a matter, I'd go for the T3i. Learning curve for the T3 and T3i are about the same, just a few extra features (i.e. swivel lcd screen on the T3i, external mic jack) between the two.

MegaCon 2013
Dragon*Con 2013
DavinDaLilAzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 01:56 AM   #402
Stormfalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavinDaLilAzn View Post
T3 vs T3i

I've read the posts, but forgot who the original poster was... It depends on what you really want your camera for. The comparison chart plays it's points out, so you can kinda get an idea on what you like more. The T3 goes for around $600 while the T3i is around $900. If money's not a matter, I'd go for the T3i. Learning curve for the T3 and T3i are about the same, just a few extra features (i.e. swivel lcd screen on the T3i, external mic jack) between the two.
Radleia was the one looking into cameras, with a price cap of $600 (which the T3 squeaks in at, but not the T3i). There are differences in resolution between the two though(T3 being 12MP with 720P video and the T3i being 18 with 1080P video). However, in practical use, that difference in still resolution only benefits you in terms of how tightly you can crop things and still have a decent resolution in the resulting image.
Stormfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 04:03 AM   #403
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

I think I found a Nikon kit I'm interested in and will be springing for. It's at about 500 right now so I'm gonna try to jump on that. (You've converted me to DSLR, guys. Congratulations)

Onward to reading various tutorials!

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Unread 03-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #404
Gypsyangelf4i
Places to go,People to be

Hey, just 2 quick questions, has anyone here used a Nikon Coolpix s8100 at cons and how does it do in low light? I know what the advertise,but I want real world input.
Unread 03-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #405
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

While I use Nikon DSLRs.. The real world input is Nikon P&S cameras no matter how much its been pushed by Ashton Kutcher still haven't dug themselves out of the hole.
You generally can't go too wrong with any of Canon's P&S.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote