Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #406
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radleia View Post
I think I found a Nikon kit I'm interested in and will be springing for. It's at about 500 right now so I'm gonna try to jump on that. (You've converted me to DSLR, guys. Congratulations)

Onward to reading various tutorials!
If you are getting a DSLR, I recommend reading the book, "Understanding Exposure":
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...dp_ob_title_bk

It is not an expensive book, but it describes the photography concepts that you will encounter with your camera. There are books out there that specifically talk about your camera, but "Understanding Exposure" talks about how to take photos.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #407
Gypsyangelf4i
Places to go,People to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgetalife View Post
While I use Nikon DSLRs.. The real world input is Nikon P&S cameras no matter how much its been pushed by Ashton Kutcher still haven't dug themselves out of the hole.
You generally can't go too wrong with any of Canon's P&S.
Thanks for the input. My cheapie digicam sucks at indoor photos and my SLR is too big to haul around cons while in cosplay. Was looking at getting something in the middle to bridge that gap.I did play with the S8100 and get along with it fairly well.I like it's features, stabilization,good for low light, HD video,quick turn on time and shutter speed, plus it's within my price range ($200 online). Guess I'll also look at some Canons for comps. There's not really an apples to apples comparison :-/

Last edited by Gypsyangelf4i : 03-26-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Gypsyangelf4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #408
Misslucy

Buying my 1st SLR

Do to funds ill be buying a slr, what do you reccomend, i want the best for my money as i will be learning along the way, i have £250 to spend. Tip and help welcome.
Misslucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #409
[Rubedo]
Moved to ThornQueen

Okay, I'm looking at buying myself a DSLR camera with my income tax money, and my budget is roughly $500 at most but I am primarily looking to buy used. I have taken photography classes, and love my pentax k1000, but developing film just gets bothersome. Mostly in a camera I am looking for something that can grow with me, while I know about my exposures and basic photography skills, I still have a lot to learn and want to experiment with various lenses.

I have been looking around at a few used Canon Rebel kits and Nikon kits as well, but what do you guys suggest would be the best bang for my buck as far as something I can keep for a while, has many compatible lenses to choose from, and I will be able to get good use out of it as a novice as well as something that will be good for my advanced photography classes down the road.

UPCOMMING COSPLAYS:
Stormy - Rainbow Brite
Heartseeker Vayne - League of Legends
Din - Legend of Zelda
Ringo Noyamano - Air Gear
[Rubedo] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #410
Tenchi Fan
The PENTAX guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Rubedo] View Post
I have taken photography classes, and love my pentax k1000, but developing film just gets bothersome.
Pentax K-x can be found for under $500 and you can use all your lenses from k1000 film camera.
Unread 03-30-2011, 03:56 AM   #411
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Seconding Tenchi fan, however I'd also strongly suggest to try it out in a store before buying anything, because it's a very small body and people coming from film often find the small size and weight unsettling.
If you like a bigger camera, a used Canon body in the xxD series would probably feel better in your hands - but with your budget you probably won't be able to get anything nicer than a 30D (the 40D can be found under $500, but it's without a lens), and this is quite old a body, and as such quite bad at low ISO (which, depending on where you shoot, can be a problem or not).
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #412
Gypsyangelf4i

OK I found a close runner up. Anyone use a Canon Powershot sx130? And how is it at indoor/ low light shots?

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-34167832.html

I was playing with one in Best Buy and noticed you could control alot of the settings like the lens aperture , so once I learned a bit more, that would be useful. Quality seemed decent in the store. The shutter did seem a bit slow, but still faster than my uber cheapie digital and it seemed quite user friendly and more like a mid range camera that was still within my price range. ($200)
Unread 04-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #413
DavinDaLilAzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyangelf4i View Post
OK I found a close runner up. Anyone use a Canon Powershot sx130? And how is it at indoor/ low light shots?

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-34167832.html

I was playing with one in Best Buy and noticed you could control alot of the settings like the lens aperture , so once I learned a bit more, that would be useful. Quality seemed decent in the store. The shutter did seem a bit slow, but still faster than my uber cheapie digital and it seemed quite user friendly and more like a mid range camera that was still within my price range. ($200)
I've always been a fan of the Canon Powershot series for a good point n shoot camera. It looks like the higher end of the Powershot series, a step up from the SD (which is what I have) and browsing on Amazon, it's got some pretty good reviews.
You've done what you should do w/ any camera, play with it.

MegaCon 2013
Dragon*Con 2013
DavinDaLilAzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #414
timscribbles
Photographer

Unless you plan on really investing in a DSLR with lenses and such, I say just get an S95 and be done with it. Brilliant colors, sharp, easy to use.

Available for photo sessions in Southern California.
timscribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #415
Gypsyangelf4i

Thanks to both for your input. I appreciate it.
Unread 04-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #416
kenshin-chan64
Titillating Tuba Player

So sorry for making a thread about this question earlier, I am now moving it here.

Hello masters of cosplay photography!
I’ve been wanting to expand my skills in photography and get a newer, better camera. I am nowhere near wanting an extremely expensive DSLR camera, but I would love to have more freedom than you can get with a point and shoot. So I thought I’d just search for inbetween cameras that preferably (and this is a very strong preferably) has a viewfinder, because sometimes that sun gets in the damn way of the screen. XD
Searching my local Best Buy, I found a nicely priced Fujifilm S700 that seemed to be just what I was looking for. I’ve looked at reviews for it on a few online places, and some of the negative reviews worry me away from purchasing it. Some people claimed that after a second photoshoot with it, they could not view or copy the files on their computer; some people even said that only a year later their camera flat out broke.

I just wanted to know if those negative reviews were just a once in a blue moon problem, or if said camera really is problematic. Or is there another reasonably priced and reliable camera out there that you know of and fits my parameters? Thank you for your time and help.

.... (\/)
.... (. . )_ ....~ Friday ~ 4-8-10
< # cc , _),
kenshin-chan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:28 AM   #417
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

The S700 was released in summer 2007. At the moment it was released, it may have been a good camera, but technology has gone a long way since, especially regarding sensors. In the last two years, low light performance has increased significantly on point and shoot cameras, mostly thanks to sensor technology.
So I'd worry about the age of the camera, rather than a few users complaining about the camera breaking.
What's your budget for your new camera ? There's probably an alternative.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #418
Leash
FFVII Nerd

I have a Nikon D70. I love this camera but its not very convenient to carry around when I'm cosplaying myself and I miss out on taking pictures of other cosplayers.

I'm looking for suggestions on a small compact digital camera that doesn't take forever to boot up and that I can slip into my pocket. Also the faster it can focus/set-up on its own the better.

I haven't got a clue what I should be looking for in terms of these smaller cameras. Anyone have a camera like this that they love?
Leash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #419
kenshin-chan64
Titillating Tuba Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurachan View Post
The S700 was released in summer 2007. At the moment it was released, it may have been a good camera, but technology has gone a long way since, especially regarding sensors. In the last two years, low light performance has increased significantly on point and shoot cameras, mostly thanks to sensor technology.
So I'd worry about the age of the camera, rather than a few users complaining about the camera breaking.
What's your budget for your new camera ? There's probably an alternative.
Hmm, I'd have to check what my family's point and shoot's age is. If the S700 is younger than it, it might be a decent idea. But good point about the age, thank you.
I was personaly prefering to not go too far over $200, as I dont know how many hours I'll be able to keep at my job once I get accepted into a special program at my school.

.... (\/)
.... (. . )_ ....~ Friday ~ 4-8-10
< # cc , _),
kenshin-chan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #420
Bravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leash View Post
I have a Nikon D70. I love this camera but its not very convenient to carry around when I'm cosplaying myself and I miss out on taking pictures of other cosplayers.

I'm looking for suggestions on a small compact digital camera that doesn't take forever to boot up and that I can slip into my pocket. Also the faster it can focus/set-up on its own the better.

I haven't got a clue what I should be looking for in terms of these smaller cameras. Anyone have a camera like this that they love?
May be something like Canon G12? It shoots Raw and has pretty good ISO
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091412canong12.asp

Last edited by Bravo : 04-05-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote