Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-25-2011, 04:38 AM   #466
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

All DSLRs are "decent", since image quality mostly depends on the lens you put on them. So your choice mainly depends on what budget you have, and what your prorities are.
For example, if you have a budget of, say, $500, you can choose between a recent entry level or an older (secondhand) 'enthusiast' camera, that probably won't be as good in low light and won't have video, but will be sturdier, have a better viewfinder and a better autofocus system, as well as nicer controls.

For portrait the 50/1.8 is a good start, it's a fragile lens (no metal) with a rather slow autofocus (especially in low light) but with a good optical quality for a very reasonable price (it's the cheapest lens in the Canon lineup). Background blur does not look as nice as with the more expensive 50s though.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #467
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashwiing View Post
Sorry, yeah, I was asking for a recommendation for something other than the Rebel series, since I had heard that those were entry-level and the DSLR equivalent of a point-and-shoot. Looking at the t3i though (I've been using a Rebel XS) I can see that that's not the case! I'm not much of a connesuir of cameras, so I don't know much more than what I hear from others. Thanks for the help!

Also I've used the 50mm f1.7 on a Minolita camera before, but mostly for portraiture (oddly enough). I love the Gaussian effect, and I've never really been able to duplicate it in photoshop very well so I would love to be able to have a lens that could do it on hand for pictures.
bear in mind thats a Canon REBEL T3i in the Canon America naming system its not a rebel until its a x0D (ie. 60D) or xD (ie. 7D). . . so while a T3i is still a gooda camera capable of doing good things (MUCH better than any point and shoot can throw at it, even with a Kit Lens), its still in the entry-level Rebel shell. . . dpending on how much youre willing to spend a new or slightly used Rebel would be a safe bet, or of course, as has been mentioned before, in the second hand market you could pick up a much tougher Enthusiast or Semi-Pro model, like an older 40D or 50D, only the 50D will get Live View, neither will do video, but both have AF systems far more sophisticated than any Rebel series camera, tough Weather-Sealed Magnesium Alloy bodies, and MUCH nicer viewfinders... among other things

and as for fast lenses, yes, a 50mm is a great place to start, its a bit tight on DX, but its still usable for some waist-up portrait work at Con. . . I use a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D and I love it to death (thankfully its built a good deal better than the Canon 1.8). . . the 50 is a timeless lens that will always have a place in my bag, and its so small so its never in the way

Upcoming:
Unread 10-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #468
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashwiing View Post
Also I've used the 50mm f1.7 on a Minolita camera before, but mostly for portraiture (oddly enough). I love the Gaussian effect, and I've never really been able to duplicate it in photoshop very well so I would love to be able to have a lens that could do it on hand for pictures.
I'm guessing you're taking about the out-of-focus area behind and in some cases in front of your subject know as "bokeh".

Ways to create bokeh:
A fast lens: Any lens with a large aperture (i.e. f2.8) or use a zoom lens at its longest focal length (i.e. for a 70-200, use 200mm). Stand as close to the subject as you can to achieve the framing you're shooting for (head, 3/4, full body).
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #469
Zabuz
Speedy Gonzales. Quite

öh... well. You got any info on some "lesser" cameras...?

So, I'm looking for a new camera that has preferably has got:
*Long range zoom
* can take panoramas
*Does *NOT* have a touchscreen
*OK battery time (well, this could be fixed by just buying some spare batteries)
*Is all black (a "discrete" camera)

Other stuff that would be nice...:
*records movies in OK quality+sound

^
Sorry if some names seems funky, I just translated straight through.

The alternatives I came up with (so far) is Samsung's WB750 and Sony's DSC-HX9V.

I found this site http://snapsort.com/compare/Samsung-WB750-vs-Sony-HX9v which compares them, and, well, Sony wins there. BUT I don't really know what to believe about that, so I would be happy if someone could give me some more opinions about these cameras.
The thing I find funky about that comparison is that the Sony got "100" and the Samsung got like "69", but when you compare them side by side, I don't really see that much differences. OK, sure, Sony got GPS (I don't really care about that), but on the other hand the optical zoom is 18 vs 16 (...I don't really know if that small difference should affect me neither...)
Though there were something about the Recording being better on Sony's, but then again, anyone knows how much of a difference there is?

So, if anyone got one of these or has happened to tried both I'd gladly hear your opinion on them.

*copypasted*

Master of The Edit button.

http://grim---reaper.deviantart.com/
Zabuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #470
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabuz View Post
The thing I find funky about that comparison is that the Sony got "100" and the Samsung got like "69", but when you compare them side by side, I don't really see that much differences. OK, sure, Sony got GPS (I don't really care about that), but on the other hand the optical zoom is 18 vs 16 (...I don't really know if that small difference should affect me neither...)
Though there were something about the Recording being better on Sony's, but then again, anyone knows how much of a difference there is?
Click on the 'Score' tab at the top of the page, and you'll see how it's calculated.
Where the Sony wins the most points is with the 'Popularity' score, which obviously has nothing to do with how good it is.
The one thing that is actually better on the Sony is its screen (more points).
The other main difference is the sensor, so to make an opinion I'd search for pictures taken with both of them, especially in low light.
Unread 11-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #471
Zabuz
Speedy Gonzales. Quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurachan View Post
Click on the 'Score' tab at the top of the page, and you'll see how it's calculated.
Where the Sony wins the most points is with the 'Popularity' score, which obviously has nothing to do with how good it is.
The one thing that is actually better on the Sony is its screen (more points).
The other main difference is the sensor, so to make an opinion I'd search for pictures taken with both of them, especially in low light.
Thanks! I didn't notice that... I'll keep my eyes open for some pictures then.

Master of The Edit button.

http://grim---reaper.deviantart.com/
Zabuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #472
DollyBoo
booty princess

Does anyone have some suggestions for a video camera? I was thinking of getting a Canon body that can record video and using the lenses from my Rebel, Would that probably be the most affordable option?
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #473
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollyBoo View Post
Does anyone have some suggestions for a video camera? I was thinking of getting a Canon body that can record video and using the lenses from my Rebel, Would that probably be the most affordable option?
What's your budget, and what do you want to shoot?

HDSLRs have the ability to provide a great "film look", but you have to keep in mind that you have to use them like a real film camera to get results out of them. That means manual focus only, very careful control over your subjects and focusing to make sure they don't go out of focus, shooting from an expensive "rig" or a video tripod, and using a separate microphone and recorder because the ones in DSLRs are basically useless.

A good camcorder is still the best choice for most non-cinematographers. If you want to shoot "on the fly", documentary style, or without a ton of setup and separate equipment, a camcorder is probably the better option.

Either way, however, you'll easily spend $1000 or more.
Max_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #474
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

I agree with Max Archer that shooting with a DSLR, can be
very tricky. Manual focus may be one of your challenges, but even if you use a DSLR system that has auto-focus, the lenses are designed to focuse very abruptly, and sometimes pass their focus zone and then find it. In contrast, video cameras tend to have more smooth focusing so you won't notice it so much.

Consumer and Prosumer video cameras have small imaging chips, so you will have more depth of field, giving sharper backgrounds instead of that diffused, blurry background that videographers often like. This also makes it very challenging to keep your subjects in focus, so you will a lower ratio of usable, in-focus shots. Adjusingt how you shoot and how you direct your subjects can increase the success to get in-focus shots. Moving the camera around your subject, keeping your distance the same. Also avoid them going towards or away from your lens your lens, unless you use a very wide-angle lens and stop it down a few fstops.

It can be done!
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #475
ankaka

I really like my Canon 550D. It's called the Canon Rebel T2i in the US. It has an 18 mega pixel sensor and takes great photos. It also has 1080 HD video, with a choice of frame rates. The video quality is superb, it looks great on my high definition TV.
ankaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #476
bondkira
The Procrastinator

Hi! I'm sorry if I am posting this in a wrong place, but here I go...

I am a total newbie when it comes to photography. Only experience I ever have with camera is point and shoot digital camera. I am very interested in taking high quality cosplay pictures and would love to learn more stuff about cameras and photography.
My friend suggested me that I should get Canon Rebel XS (I do understand it is older model) since it is an entry level camera. I do know that this is not in the store anymore and only place you can buy is at online stores. I went to Best Buy today and I found T3 is also very appealing. I tried to look for the reviews to see how much they are different (other than price), but I couldn't really get the idea...
Is there SO much difference between XS and T3? My friend told me that XS is still very very nice, but I just want to be 100% that XS is going to be my camera...
Any suggestion is much appreciated. Thank you!!

Nnoitra (No.5 Espada Arrancar) from Bleach: 50%sure, 0% completed (REDO)

Taokaka from Blazblue: 50% sure, 0% completed

Date Masamune from Sengoku Basara: 50% sure, 0% completed
bondkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #477
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondkira View Post
Hi! I'm sorry if I am posting this in a wrong place, but here I go...

I am a total newbie when it comes to photography. Only experience I ever have with camera is point and shoot digital camera. I am very interested in taking high quality cosplay pictures and would love to learn more stuff about cameras and photography.
My friend suggested me that I should get Canon Rebel XS (I do understand it is older model) since it is an entry level camera. I do know that this is not in the store anymore and only place you can buy is at online stores. I went to Best Buy today and I found T3 is also very appealing. I tried to look for the reviews to see how much they are different (other than price), but I couldn't really get the idea...
Is there SO much difference between XS and T3? My friend told me that XS is still very very nice, but I just want to be 100% that XS is going to be my camera...
Any suggestion is much appreciated. Thank you!!
If you want video, go with the T3. If you want a really cheap starter, look for something used on the well known sites like adorama.com, bhphotovideo.com, or keh.com
Unread 04-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #478
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

The Rebel XS is a nice starter camera and they are still available new from Amazon for $453. Refurbs are selling for ~$300. As Sukotsuto says, the T3 can do video if that's important to you. You really can't go wrong with the Canon Rebel line.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #479
bondkira
The Procrastinator

Thank you very much for your guys suggestions!!! I'm definitely going to browse through websites now!
I'm not too big on video camera so I'll go look for XS.
Thanks again for your guys advise!

Nnoitra (No.5 Espada Arrancar) from Bleach: 50%sure, 0% completed (REDO)

Taokaka from Blazblue: 50% sure, 0% completed

Date Masamune from Sengoku Basara: 50% sure, 0% completed
bondkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 03:03 AM   #480
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

If you have some cash left (as in, about $100) also get yourself a 50/1.8 prime. Primes are a great learning tool, and the large aperture is very useful when shooting in poorly lit and/or crowded areas.
Also, get a book to learn basic technique (exposure, composition, focal length, white balance), you'll need it to get the best out of your DSLR.