Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-18-2012, 02:55 AM   #496
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

If you like the blurred look, the 50/1.8 is totally worth buying. However it is not an easy lens to use in a con environment, to get full body shots you need to step back a lot with it, and autofocus is very hesitant in low light. So get the standard 18-55 zoom, and if/when you have enough money also get the 50/1.8.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #497
Rander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesie View Post
Thank you. I'm very tempted to buy that one then.

When you say it'll take more work though, how much do you mean?
Basically, you would zoom all the way out, position your subject as far away from the background as possible, get as close to your subject as you can and take the shot.

It is a whole lot easier with the 50 mm f1.8 though. This would also give you a feel of the 50 mm f1.8 to see how far back you would need to be for a head, half body or full body shot. The beauty of digital is that you can practice with hundreds of tests shots and get instant feedback on a shot. You can make a slight adjustment, take the shot again and see how that looks. So once you go to a con, you are comfortable using the camera and make it easier to get the shot you want.

flickr DeviantART

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."- William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925)
Rander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #498
Julesie

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...?Equipment=105

Thank you both. This is the one you mean right? ^ as it says II on it so double checking.

So if I attach this to my EOS 1100D and practice taking photos (which I plan to do anyway) I should hopefully get some pretty awesome looking shots.

Thank you.
Julesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #499
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

The main difference with the 50/1.8 I is that the mk I (now discontinued) had a metal mount. The mk II has a plastic mount to reduce the cost, but the optical formula is the same, so they're basically the same lens.
Canon's 50/1.8 has earned the nickame 'nifty fifty', because for such a cheap price it's probably the best lens you can get.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #500
Julesie

Thank you so much for putting up with all my questions! I'm going to buy the camera sometime this week hopefully.
Unread 04-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #501
Julesie

I bought my new camera. It's fabulous but I'm still trying to figure it out. Thanks again everyone!
Unread 04-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #502
kirameki

I'm in the market for a new digital camera for use mostly on vacation (going to Punta Cana in a few weeks!) and conventions. I don't need anything fancy since I'm not really a photographer, but I want something better than the few point and clicks I've purchased in the past have been. A fast shutter, decent zoom, and ability to take photos in low light preferred. I'm at my wits end since I've been searching reviews on amazon and various sites, but most of the bad reviews I don't understand since it's in "photographer" speak and when I put out that much cash I really don't want to find out I bought another dud. I'm looking to spend preferably under $300, but if there is something that is absolutely amazing I might be able to scrounge up the extra cash. It's just I need it in 2 weeks so not much time for planning or budgeting. My old camera was crap and seems to have finally officially died. I don't even know where to start looking! Please help!

Right now I'm looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-...dp_ob_title_ce
The reviews seem decent, it does have a learning curve, but I figure once I get used to it that won't be too much of an issue. More importantly it's in my price range. Anyone have experience with it? Or suggestions on something better?
CastlePoint
AnimeExpo
Otakon (maybe)

Upcoming Cosplays
Yona (Akatsuki no Yona)
Luki (DOGS)
Sailor Saturn
Rosette (Chrono Crusade)
Clear (DMMD)
Tsurara (Nurarihyon)

Last edited by kirameki : 04-21-2012 at 11:23 AM.
kirameki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #503
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

how do you describe 'fast shutter'??, Im gonna assume youre talking about the time between pressing the button and the 'shutter' (since compacts have no actual shutter ) actually releasing. . . in which case thats called Shutter lag. . . and in which case, itll be pretty much the same across the board, assuming the camera is On and focused, shutter lag isnt really an issue

for zoom just realize the more zoom range you get the more the price you pay in image quality, thats physics, no lens is exempt, so keep it to what you need and go from there, most times the little pocket cameras can deliver better image quality than those big superzooms

for low light, thats tough, some do it better than others, and the class leaders in that start at around 400 bucks. . .

if it were ME, around that price id get one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...43503&sr =1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-...43715&sr =1-1

both have respectable zoom ranges that are probably most useful for anybody that doesnt need that crazy reach, and both have lenses that let in atleast 3 times as much light as your averave point and shoot at the widest setting, making for cleaner low light shots with a lower ISO setting

Upcoming:
Unread 04-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #504
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

I'm going to second Shoji-Aoyama"s recommendation for the Canon Power-Shot 500HS. I recently bought the 300HS it's an impressive little camera. Go to a local retailer and try it out. Take some no-flash and flash pictures inside the store.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #505
kirameki

Oh! Thank you so much! I love taking photographs but it's been years since I took classes in it so I really don't remember the terminology at all.

I really like that Nikon one. Is it okay to get the newer model since the one you linked is sold out? They only have it available used... Or is it preferable to try and find that specific model? This question applies to the canon as well.

I would love to get a really nice one and drop $500 on it but that just isn't in my budget right now. Honestly $300 isn't really in my budget either but I want nice pictures on my vacation this year. I didn't even bother posting my pictures from last year they were so bad... I just need one that will take halfway decent photos indoors (such as in a church) with normal lighting. My last camera (a cheap point and click - worst purchase of my life) they all turn out dark even when there is nice lighting. Completely ruined getting pictures of my friends weddings, one of which I myself was in, so it was really depressing and the reason I want to invest in a nicer camera. But there are so many that it was really daunting trying to figure out which ones are good or not.
CastlePoint
AnimeExpo
Otakon (maybe)

Upcoming Cosplays
Yona (Akatsuki no Yona)
Luki (DOGS)
Sailor Saturn
Rosette (Chrono Crusade)
Clear (DMMD)
Tsurara (Nurarihyon)
Unread 04-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #506
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

OK, I didnt know that Nikon had already put out a P310, but the primary reason for my recommendation of the P300 still is there, and thats the f/1.8 lens. . . as for the Canon its still listed on Canon's site with a price number, so I ASSUME it should still be current, if not I dont know of any other current Canon that offers the f/2 lens short of the S90 and S100, but theyre reaching into the 400 dollar range, they are better cameras if youre willing to spend the money, but if not, then these should serve your needs well

and if you have any other questions sorting through the photographer jargon, we're more than happy to help. . . we speak the language ;p

Upcoming:
Unread 04-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #507
kirameki

Thanks. When I was looking things up myself I thought my head was spinning. So much to input. One more quick question. Where could I "test" these out? Most of the larger chains in my area have cameras out to look at but for whatever stupid reason have the power off so you can't actually test them. Should I try and find a camera specialty shop or something? Or just go for whichever one I like without a test like that and hope for the best?
CastlePoint
AnimeExpo
Otakon (maybe)

Upcoming Cosplays
Yona (Akatsuki no Yona)
Luki (DOGS)
Sailor Saturn
Rosette (Chrono Crusade)
Clear (DMMD)
Tsurara (Nurarihyon)
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #508
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

yeah dedicated camera shops are always a good option, big chains ike Best Buy are hit or miss, some have the AC power, some have batteries, and others are either naked, or equiped with Dead batteries. . . if you CAN id definitely get hands on, if you cant id atleast buy from somewhere with a GOOD Return policy. . . just in case

Upcoming:
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #509
kirameki

I don't think I'll be able to get to a specialty shop before vacation so I'm going to go ahead and get the canon. As much as I love the Nikon the canon seems to have great specs and a really nice price (I wonder if it's so low because a newer model is out?). I'm ordering from Amazon and I've never had issues returning to them. A quick question since in a few camera reviews it says what kind of sd card you get can affect performance... I always get larger cards so I can take maximum number of pictures and before I purchase I thought I'd ask what kind of SD card you guys would get for the canon? Or does it not matter after all? When I'm out of the country I won't have the option of replacing the card so I want to get the right kind. I was looking at the Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card.

You guys have been so helpful! I'll be sure to enlist you guys for help if I ever decide to get a more advanced camera.
CastlePoint
AnimeExpo
Otakon (maybe)

Upcoming Cosplays
Yona (Akatsuki no Yona)
Luki (DOGS)
Sailor Saturn
Rosette (Chrono Crusade)
Clear (DMMD)
Tsurara (Nurarihyon)

Last edited by kirameki : 04-22-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Unread 04-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #510
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

as far as speed goes, Class 10 should be more than sufficient, and the safest way to go, I somehow doubt it would support a super fast UHS-I card anyways. . . as for storage space its up to you and how much you really want, a 32 should keep going and going and going :P

Upcoming: