Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #511
kirameki

Thanks. I didn't really understand what the classes meant and one of the reviews said a lower one made photos blurry. It might have been for the Nikon though...

Yeah I know! I was in Alaska years ago and I took so many pictures I filled my memory card up and had to buy a really expensive one there, so ever since I err on the side of caution and get more memory. Now that I've been traveling out of the country that issue is even more important. I don't have access to a computer to dump the images and I always take a LOT. I generally don't delete a photo until I get home and there often isn't any option to buy a new one either. I ended up getting the 16GB (It was only 12.99!) and should be plenty big enough for my purposes. I think 64 would be overkill though. I didn't even know they MADE them that big.
CastlePoint
AnimeExpo
Otakon (maybe)

Upcoming Cosplays
Yona (Akatsuki no Yona)
Luki (DOGS)
Sailor Saturn
Rosette (Chrono Crusade)
Clear (DMMD)
Tsurara (Nurarihyon)

Last edited by kirameki : 04-23-2012 at 10:35 AM.
kirameki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #512
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

I'd recommend a few smaller cards instead of one huge one anyway. They do fail from time to time so you don't want all your eggs in one basket.
Unread 04-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #513
kirameki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av4rice View Post
I'd recommend a few smaller cards instead of one huge one anyway. They do fail from time to time so you don't want all your eggs in one basket.
Yes. That's happened to me before too. I have no luck with cameras. The card failed on the first day of Otakon a few years back. I suppose it could have been worse and happened half way through the convention. I only bought one card for now to test it out with the camera, but will probably order a back up when I come home if it works well.
CastlePoint
AnimeExpo
Otakon (maybe)

Upcoming Cosplays
Yona (Akatsuki no Yona)
Luki (DOGS)
Sailor Saturn
Rosette (Chrono Crusade)
Clear (DMMD)
Tsurara (Nurarihyon)
kirameki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #514
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

yeah, I agree with the not putting too many eggs in one basket mentality, though more baskets also means more probability of failure, so its a trade off . . . I generally draw the line at 1000 images (rated in the counter), whatever card can deliver that is about as large as I go, though granted shooting very large RAW files that adds up to usually around 32 Gb . . . and while 64 is quite a bit, there are 128Gb SDXC and CF cards, but for all intents and purposes, thats just ridiculous, and QUITE expensive

Upcoming:
Unread 04-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #515
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoji-Aoyama View Post
and while 64 is quite a bit, there are 128Gb SDXC and CF cards, but for all intents and purposes, thats just ridiculous, and QUITE expensive
HD Video eats up card space VERY quickly.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #516
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurachan View Post
HD Video eats up card space VERY quickly.
OK, that is a fair point and you cant exactly hot swap in the middle of a clip, so I guess said cards would be useful to the avid videographer

Upcoming:
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #517
LilVamp25
Blissly Oblivious

Hi, I'm going to apologize right now in case somebody has already asked this question, but a link if it is in another thread would help, too!

I have a Canon T3i and a tripod and have been thinking about getting some lighting equipment for a beginner (so relatively portable and easy to get the hang of). I'm looking for flashes and maybe speedlites, but I don't even know the difference yet lol

Also, any recommendations on lighting for video would be great!

Cosplay(s): Random Fandom Girl 100%- all day, everyday
Riza Hawkeye 23%-indefinite

My deviantArt Page
My YouTube Channel
LilVamp25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #518
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilVamp25 View Post
Hi, I'm going to apologize right now in case somebody has already asked this question, but a link if it is in another thread would help, too!

I have a Canon T3i and a tripod and have been thinking about getting some lighting equipment for a beginner (so relatively portable and easy to get the hang of). I'm looking for flashes and maybe speedlites, but I don't even know the difference yet lol

Also, any recommendations on lighting for video would be great!
A flash is any light that outputs in a very brief duration, as opposed to continuous lights which output over a long duration. "Speedlite" is just Canon's name for their flashes that mount to your camera's hotshoe (the flash mount on top). Likewise, "Speedlight" is Nikon's brand name for their hotshoe flashes.

I recommend including TTL capability on your first flash. TTL is an automatic output adjustment system, similar to automatic exposure, and is handy when you're using the flash on-camera shooting different types of subjects at different distances. For off-camera use, you can save money and get more control using manual flashes.

For TTL, you can get a lot of bang for your buck with a Yong Nuo YN-468 II. Make sure you get the Canon version and not the Nikon version.

The Canon 430 EX II is very nice and built better (speaking as someone who owns one) but in hindsight I'd rather have two or three cheaper flashes for the same price.

For non-TTL, the cheaper Yong Nuo flashes are good. Or look at the Vivitar 285HV or LumoPro LP160.

For off-camera sync, I think cheap radio triggers are the best option. Look at Yong Nuo, Cowboy Studio, and Cactus.

There's a good learning resource for off-camera flash here:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Lighting for video is a completely different ballgame, since video requires continuous light. The efficiency of flashes is no longer an option. I don't know much about video lighting so I can't really advise you on that.
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #519
expiredgumiworm
Tiki Crafts

Alternative please!!!

So i fell in love with the Sony nex-5 but I have heard many people day that it is too pricey for the quality and I could get something just as good for way less.

What cameras are comparable to this???

Features I am particularly interested in:
Tilting screen (im really short so i need to be able to tilt the screen down and hold the camera over my head)
small size (id rather not have a big bulky dslr)
professional quality photographs
and perhaps hd video but that isn't a deal breaker for me

and/or

Follow my cosplay blog: Tiki Crafts Blogspot
expiredgumiworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #520
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

A DSLR of the same quality is cheaper, but if the bulk is a factor for you, the nex is a good choice ; they have the best sensor out of all hybrid systems, and a better lens lineup than most.
You may also consider the Canon G1X compact ; it's not an interchangeable lens camera, but it has a large sensor, and the optics are probably better than the nex kit lens. It's quite expensive, but it has the same controls as a DSLR, making it a real tool to learn 'serious' photography, if you feel like it.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #521
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

honestly, if you need near NEX-5(n) features in a cheaper package, youre sitting squarely on the NEX-C3. . . same great 16 Megapixel APS-C sensor, still has the tilty screen, and the body itself is a bit slimmer (though that goes away the second you mount a lens on it). . . if you can live without the tilty screen, then you can save a bit of money and go with an Olympus E-PM1, which is even more compact and still delivers great image quality, but if you really like the tilty screen you need the E-PL3, but that one goes for NEX-5n money, so its a toss up

between the two brands its a fight between absolute image quality (Olympus being VERY good, but Sony better, on their choice of sensor format) and long term service life with the Micro 4/3s system offering MUCH more long term flexibility in lens choice and other such add-ons. . . but if you have no intentions of moving anywhere past your kit lens (included) then the NEX is a winner, but otherwise, Id buy Olympus (or Panasonic in the same system)

Upcoming:
Unread 05-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #522
expiredgumiworm
Tiki Crafts

Thanks to both of you!!!

I think im gonna go for the nex 3, i found that the only real difference is in the video image quality which isnt that big of a deal to me and it has pretty much the same exact image quality.

Hopefully I could get it today or tomorrow.
Im so excited.

and/or

Follow my cosplay blog: Tiki Crafts Blogspot
expiredgumiworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #523
bodatheyoda
Thats right, love me

Nikon just released the D3200...everyone is raving about it being an amazing entry+ camera. It's under 700. I have not used it yet at all but for people looking to dive into photography...this one seems like a good one to start with.

My photography page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Tk8919Photography
My DA: http://bodatheyoda.deviantart.com/

http://www.501st.com
bodatheyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #524
RSMorex

Vegas Vacation

Me and my fiance went to Las Vegas last September and no matter how still we held her medion life P42010 digital camera any light source was a bright blurry ball of light we are going back this september for our anniversary and want night photos of the strip this time is there just a setting I missed messing with in the camera or is there a better camera I should buy?

uses: night shots with bright lights, lit and dim lit indoor shots, possibly dim lit shots of indoor performances where flash is prohibited

price range: $200 max

help is appreciated Thank You
RSMorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #525
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

If you can find a Closeout Canon ELPH 300 HS. Its a decent sleeper camera where it somehow got some higher spec parts in it. Its replacement was cheapened so it wouldn't compete with their more expensive models. The ELPH 100/110 HS probally will be OK still.

I'm not sure how they will actually perform but with your price tag they are kind of your only choices.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote