Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #526
Rander

You could also try a refurbished Olympus PEN E-PL1, its $189 and comes with a 1 year factory warranty

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Micro 4/3 Digital Camera & 14-42mm Lens

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 and think its a great camera and many reviews of the EPL1 say performance is similar if not better.

flickr DeviantART

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."- William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925)
Rander is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #527
RSMorex

willing to pay more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgetalife View Post
If you can find a Closeout Canon ELPH 300 HS. Its a decent sleeper camera where it somehow got some higher spec parts in it. Its replacement was cheapened so it wouldn't compete with their more expensive models. The ELPH 100/110 HS probally will be OK still.

I'm not sure how they will actually perform but with your price tag they are kind of your only choices.
i am willing to raise my price tag to like 300 - 500 atleast if i can be sure of performance, quality (especially taking images of "lights at night"), and battery life problem is every camera i fing has conflicting reviews half say great half say piece of junk i don't know who to believe or what and i feel if i can't find a review i can trust my brain will explode
RSMorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #528
RSMorex

find*
Unread 07-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #529
RSMorex

also I've been reading "How-To"s about photography at night in vegas and need a camera with manual control i.e. shutter speed and apature settings ect
Unread 07-25-2012, 03:51 AM   #530
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

For a $300-$500 price tag you can get some of the lower end hybrids of the previous generation, like a Sony NEX 3 or a Panasonic GF. If you want to take photos at night, you need good low light performance, and a large sensor is the best way to get it.
If you can push up to $500 you can get an entry level DSLR like the Nikon D3100.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #531
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

Pretty much what you're looking to do no matter what camera you buy you'll probably have issues trying to do it without practice.

So your choices are go small and cheap with the Canon i mentioned. Or step up a few more dollars and go with what Ashurachan just mentioned.

Most of the night shots you want to capture lights for would require a tripod or support.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #532
Neddog
Photographer

If you're looking in the $300-$500 range, there is no reason to buy an expensive point-and-shoot. There are many non-reflex (mirrorless) system cameras available at that price which blow the socks off of any point-and-shoot in every way, from control to build to versatility to image quality to investment value to... well, just about anything you can possibly think of - EVEN size! A small Pen Mini mounted with pancake lens is smaller than a high-end point-and-shoot like the Canon G12 or G15 (if you don't believe me you can compare online for yourself: http://camerasize.com/compare/#101,163), which doesn't even compare in ability. Of course there are smaller compacts made than that, but when you consider the huge gap in performance the tiny difference in size becomes so negligible. There is still a market for low-end point-and-shoots, but the high-end P&S market is just redundant these days.

I would go for a Micro Four-Thirds camera like the Olympus Pen Rander mentioned or the Panasonic GF that Ashurachan mentioned. The Micro Four-Thirds system is the first digital non-reflex system and is ridiculously far ahead of all the rest for variety and quality of glass and accessories (including EVF and flash system). It is an open standard, so anybody can make glass for the system. It has glass from the likes of Leica, Voigtlander, Ziess, Zuiko, Sigma, Tamron, Kenko, and more. If you're into manual glass, you can adapt almost any lens that's been made to it as well (though for this the NEX system is also just as good). It is also fully compatible with the Four-Thirds system glass, which offers some of the best top-pro glass made(ie, like the fastest zoom lenses made, with f/2 constant apertures).
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #533
nilukshi

Try using canon or nikon digicam. While buying one, look out for the lens, sensor, battery, flash and Optical zoom. I think if you take care of all this, you will get something good within your budget.
nilukshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 02:58 AM   #534
Maith

Not a cam but but I need a tripod for self-shots (since it's hard for me to find a photographer for photoshoots).
I don't have much budget but I don't want to go cheap crappy tripods, so, any suggestions?
Maith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #535
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

Problem with low budget is there isn't much there.

But also depend on what camera you're using. With smaller cameras you can get away with smaller tripods. Heavier stuff requires heavier duty/more expensive.

Like this model for reference is the cheapest i'd buy.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ipod_With.html

It should be able to handle your entry level DSLR sized camera with kit lens. And be more durable than your cheap walmart/bestbuy tripods.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 02:04 AM   #536
Brea
Business Student

DSLR is a better investment than a mirrorless. Some DSLR's can be found very affordable nowadays, and the same skills will apply if you ever choose to upgrade.
Brea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #537
ImNewHere
The new guy.

I know everyone here will say Canon or Nikon for the most part, but you might consider Pentax. You can get a weather sealer K-30 with lens for under 500, and with the K-01 mirrorless (which takes the K mount lenses) you can get a kit with the 18-55 and 50-200 lenses for under 400. They also, just like any of the Pentax K mount cameras will accept any K mount lenses, and even the m42 screwmount lenses with an adapter. Both do ISO 100-25,600, and both have auto and full manual modes.

On tripods, if you live near a Frys Electronics they have a pretty good selection of them, and some can be had pretty reasonably priced. You might also hit up a Best Buy, and if you find one of their tripods priced lower on Amazon then they will price match.

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.
ImNewHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #538
redsheep

Suggestions for a good intermediate camera? I'm needing something a little nicer than just a plain digital camera, but not quite an SLR. The price I'm looking at is around 200.

I was looking at this one. I got to try one out a little in store, and I liked the way it felt and the basic layout and how the pictures looked (on the screen anyways), just there's a lot of specs that I'm not 100% familiar with.

I'll also take suggestions?
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #539
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

This tool is nice for finding cameras by price:

http://snapsort.com/recommend#!type=...rice&price=200

But I'd avoid the ones labeled "super zoom" including the one you linked from GE. You really don't need that much zoom for cosplay or most photography. I've never shot a con with more than 4x or 5x of zoom ratio. And superzooms sacrifice image quality in the lens in order to achieve that zoom. Don't make such a sacrifice for a feature you don't even need.

Are you avoiding SLRs because of price? Or because you don't want to get too deep into learning? If it's the former, you can pick up an older, used entry-level model in your price range. It will still blow away new point & shoots on quality. For instance, here's a Rebel XTi in excellent condition from a trusted seller for $140:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digi...991030200?r=FE

And you can pair it with a versatile 18-55mm lens, also excellent condition, same seller, for $60:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digi...990785220?r=FE
Unread 08-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #540
redsheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av4rice View Post
This tool is nice for finding cameras by price:

http://snapsort.com/recommend#!type=...rice&price=200

But I'd avoid the ones labeled "super zoom" including the one you linked from GE. You really don't need that much zoom for cosplay or most photography. I've never shot a con with more than 4x or 5x of zoom ratio. And superzooms sacrifice image quality in the lens in order to achieve that zoom. Don't make such a sacrifice for a feature you don't even need.

Are you avoiding SLRs because of price? Or because you don't want to get too deep into learning? If it's the former, you can pick up an older, used entry-level model in your price range. It will still blow away new point & shoots on quality. For instance, here's a Rebel XTi in excellent condition from a trusted seller for $140:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digi...991030200?r=FE

And you can pair it with a versatile 18-55mm lens, also excellent condition, same seller, for $60:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digi...990785220?r=FE
Is the drop in image quality mostly when zoomed in that much, or would it be lower regardless? Mostly I wasn't wanting an SLR since I know that if it's too complicated, I won't use it, not even enough to get real familiar with it. The Canon looks good for the price. What's the difference between the EX price and the BGN price?
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote