Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-18-2006, 10:30 PM   #46
Alexia Ishtar
aka - Chibi Lenne

Yes, it's Canadian and thanks for the advice. I'm by no means commited to this camera at all. I was just thinking since I have a lot of XD cards if it would be worth it. But if SD is better I might just take the leap and switch.

Need a Hogwarts Robe?
Alexia Ishtar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-19-2006, 07:32 AM   #47
Test Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia Ishtar
Yes, it's Canadian and thanks for the advice. I'm by no means commited to this camera at all. I was just thinking since I have a lot of XD cards if it would be worth it. But if SD is better I might just take the leap and switch.
Hi Alexia,

I wouldn't focus on the storage system too much. All the Olympus DSLRs will take the cheaper, faster, larger Compact Flash cards. If you were to buy the E-500 and shoot high quality JPEGs your files would be about 5MB each and if you were to shoot RAW your files would be about 13MB each so you would probably want to buy new storage media anyway.

Since you will be buying into a camera system you should make sure that you are not only happy with the camera body but also what is offered by the system as a whole because once you get in and start buying other system specific items it can be very expensive to change.

However being comfortable with the body you are using is also important and I would suggest that as a first step you try all the cameras that are within your price range if you haven’t already done so, preferably side by side, and see if there are any that you really like or dislike. You may find that you don’t like the viewfinder of the E-500 and that you really want more than 3 AF points or that you don’t like the grip of the Canon 350D/400D etc, etc.
Test Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 06:47 AM   #48
Jadenyuki

It depends on what you want to do with the pictures. Most of the the point and shoots will do fine. When people purchase the slr they pay a lot of money for the digitals and do not use it as often as the plan. I think for cosplay pictures olympus, kodak fugi and others will be fine but make sure it is at least 3.0 Mega pixels.

Michael
Jadenyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 07:06 AM   #49
Oklahoma
KYON Stop Taking Pictures

Ok, my tips for buying a new camera. What I have always suggested to people is to go into a store that has a lot of the different cameras sitting out for you to look at and start looking at them. Don't let the sales people start to help you as they are trying to make a sale and it interfeers with you looking at the different cameras. Another thing is DO NOT look at the price of the cameras (I will go into this later). Start looking at them and figuring out what you like and what you want in a camera, not what one offers over another but overall what you like. Start to narrow down your search and look at specific cameras that have what you previously decided you want in a camera. Once you have a list of cameras you like with the features you like now look at the price of those cameras. If your top camera is in your budget you can be pretty confident what to get. If none are then start looking at some of the lower models and start figuring out what you are willing to not have to have a camera within your budget.

Another thing you can do is get a small memory card say 32MB or something cheap and put it into the cameras you are looking at and take pictures in the store and then take the memory card home and compare the pictures. This gives you a good idea of how each camera takes pictures and how they will look once taken. For this it is a good idea to pick the same subject with each camera, say a sign or something like that so all the pictures are of the same thing and you aren't comparing different things when you look at the pictures.

With SLR's unless you already have lenses for one maker look at all of them and find what you like. If you already have the lenses it is a lot cheaper to stay with the same maker than to switch.

Just my $0.02

Anime Detour Staff:
Tech: Main Stage Lighting
Photography
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 07:19 AM   #50
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma
Another thing you can do is get a small memory card say 32MB or something cheap and put it into the cameras you are looking at and take pictures in the store and then take the memory card home and compare the pictures. This gives you a good idea of how each camera takes pictures and how they will look once taken. For this it is a good idea to pick the same subject with each camera, say a sign or something like that so all the pictures are of the same thing and you aren't comparing different things when you look at the pictures.
This advice is invaluable. As suggested, do your best to set everything to the same settings. (Presumably auto, since about every digital camera has an auto setting.)

Any shop worth buying from will HELP you do this.

In fact, any shop worth its weight will not only help you, but may offer a grey card to set a custom wb, and they will even probably do so FOR you upon request.

GOOD advice.

Bruce

EDIT: It has been my personal experience that I have come out ahead in the long run by spending the extra 20-50 bucks here and there by going to a shop that is helpful. I find that the helpful nature of these shops lead to a willingness to *bend* warranty rules when you come in with equipment that you bought from them. So far, my shop has swapped any bad pieces of equipment with brand new pieces off the shelf. Even months and months and months after purchase. Granted, I keep all my photographic equipment's boxes, and I take VERY VERY good care of my equipment, so when broken, it still appears new. This allows the shop a little more leverage in taking it back for a new piece hot-swap. Anyways, point is, a helpful photo store can be worth the extra money you spend. The relationship could very well benefit you in the future. One nice thing about my relationship with my local shop is that I can order specialty things over the phone, with no money down. Makes my life easier, even if its just a consumable item.

Last edited by staereo : 10-29-2006 at 07:24 AM.
staereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 01:26 PM   #51
Hyura
Wallflower

I'm not planning on becoming an official photographer or anything, I just want a decent point and shoot camera for cosplaying and such. I was hoping for something that could take decent in-door pictures, but I heard you'd have to be willing to spend $1,000+ for a camera like that. Definatly out of my price range. So now I suppose my biggest concerns are whether I can find a camera that has some kind of anti-shake (or at least doesn't blur easily) and as many megapixels as possible for $100 to $200.

Unfortunatly, I know absolutely nothing about digital cameras and this will be my first one. ><; I'm not even sure how memory cards/SD cards work or what type I'm supposed to buy.
Link I was looking at the Canon cameras, and I was considering buying one of them. (I liked that one in the link the best) But I honestly have no idea which would suit me. I was just wondering if I could get any other advice before I make a purchase? I'm a newbie and I don't want to regret spending my savings on a camera that I won't like.

••• | Next Event :: NDK NYE 2012 "Unmasked" event by D.C.C !

L O V E ♥ to cosplay themed parties, make food & prop, & bring favorite series to life !
Hyura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 01:59 PM   #52
Oklahoma

I would take a look at the following link and plug in what you want in a camera and then take the list and start looking at them in stores. I would never buy a camera without looking at it first to see if you like it or not.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

You don't have to spend 1000 dollars on a camera that can take good indoor shots. Most of it is in your technique. I would suggest looking up what different things mean in photography and what they do to an image and then see how to change them in your camera, auto can only go so far and sometimes you need to trick to camera to get the picture to come out right or just tell it what to do. Once you learn how to use your camera you can take some really incredible shots.

Both of the following were taken with a $300 Sony Cybershot point and shoot.

Anime Detour Staff:
Photography
Unread 11-12-2006, 08:22 PM   #53
Silent_Guardian
Future Ruler of the World

I sorta have a question for cameras too... I'm not really experienced with cameras or anything so whatever I get I'd want to be pretty user-friendly ^_^; I want a nice digital camera for con photos, but I'd like to take video too since I have some cosplay skit ideas I'd like to make a reality. My friend has a camera that takes both pictures and some video, but only a few minutes worth and I'd love to be able to film stuff going on at the cons too. Is it worth trying to find something that does both, or better to have them seperate? I asked for a digital camera for Christmas and I'd like to be able to say exactly what I want instead of letting someone else decide for me.
Silent_Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2006, 10:59 PM   #54
Uchiha Sakura
Uchiha obsessed!!!

Hey guys, I'm needing to get a digi camera for my upcoming photography class. I was told that it had to have an ajustable lense and had to be 4mm or greater. I will be useing it for that class, cosplay and every day photos. Any ideas on what type to get? i kinda want one that is nice but not too expencive. lol. Thanks for your help.
Costumes in progress , Wedding Ashe (FF 12), Black Rock Shooter (Vocaloid), Rinoa (FF 8), Heine (Dogs: Bullets and Carnage)
Uchiha Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 05:08 AM   #55
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Guardian
Is it worth trying to find something that does both, or better to have them seperate? I asked for a digital camera for Christmas and I'd like to be able to say exactly what I want instead of letting someone else decide for me.
Consider it a rule of thumb that dedicated technologies have a higher potential for quality in their respective abilities than a piece of equipment that was multi-function.

Considering that rule, it really depends on the quality you are looking for and the amount you want to spend. Sometimes the level of performance that a multi-function tool offers is sufficient in all of its functions to fulfill your needs.

Whether it is cheaper to buy two pieces of equipment rather than a single multifunction item with the same performance in it's functions is a matter of shopping and checking specifications.

Checking http://www.dpreview.com/ will aid you in that respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha Sakura
I was told that it had to have an ajustable lense and had to be 4mm or greater. I will be useing it for that class, cosplay and every day photos. Any ideas on what type to get? i kinda want one that is nice but not too expencive.
First of all, a lens that is 4mm is outrageously wide. In fact, off the top of my head, I don't even know who makes a 4mm lens. Palang makes an 8mm lens, but that isn't even brand-af compatable, it is manual focus only, I think, and it was originally developed by russia for industrial and military use. Canon offers a 15mm fisheye lens that is capable of 180 degree viewing. SO, saying all that, I would honestly say that you should have no trouble picking up ANY camera and using it.

NOW, if the prof. meant 40mm, that would seem more logical, as you can readily purchase lenses wider than 40mm. So you may want to check on that. Furthermore, you may want to ask if the prof. wants you to have a camera where the ACTUAL focal length was over 40mm, or if the field of view equivalant AFTER the image sensor crop needs to be over 40mm.

Either way, another question is what you mean by adjustable lens. Adjusting a lens could mean a zoom lens, to let you zoom in and out with your focal length; or it could mean something that allowed you to attach filters, something with a tilt-shift capability, or it could be something that had a soft focus adjustment. It even could mean that you would like interchangable lenses, or something as basic as a capablity to control aperture. So without more details, it's hard to know what you're looking for.

Incidently, reading this thread and following the links posted would likely give you a nice helping hand towards finding your camera.

Bruce
Unread 11-19-2006, 05:45 AM   #56
Oklahoma

I have actually found that there is no reference on the focal length of digi-cams. I have found though that in general they are listed in 35mm terms. So in a nutshell if the lens of a digi-cam was on a 35mm camera the focal length would be 4mm. Because the sensor size is so much smaller than that of a 35mm one the same crop factor applies as with DSLR cameras. Even for a digi-cam that is rather wide. Many I see are around 7mm or so.

Just for a reference I will explain what I mean by everything is still listed in 35mm terms by using the following picture.

If I pull up the shot information it says that the image was taken at 14mm. Now the picture is nowhere near wide enough to be a 14mm shot. So we take the sensor size of 7.18 x 5.32 mm and find how big it is in relation to a 35mm frame. The sony sensor is .1995 times as big as a 35mm frame so this means that it has a crop factor of about 5x. If we multiply the crop factor by the focal length the shot was taken at a 35mm equivalent of 70mm, a lot more believable.

So what 4mm becomes when you take into account the crop factor, which completely depends on the sensor size, is about anywhere from 15-20mm as a 35mm equivalent; still fairly wide.

Now this also comes down to are you talking about just a digi-cam or a digital SLR. And also what needs to be adjustable on the camera? Zoom, focus, aperture, etc... To get some of these features in a digi-cam you are looking at a decent price and would be better off usually trying to find a used DSLR. I would ask the prof exactly what is needed in the camera. Also, you can go back to my previous post and take a look at the link I posted and you can put in what you need and it will show what cameras offer those features.

Anime Detour Staff:
Photography
Unread 11-19-2006, 05:48 AM   #57
Test Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha Sakura
Hey guys, I'm needing to get a digi camera for my upcoming photography class. I was told that it had to have an ajustable lense and had to be 4mm or greater. I will be useing it for that class, cosplay and every day photos. Any ideas on what type to get? i kinda want one that is nice but not too expencive. lol. Thanks for your help.
Hi could you please confirm the requirements for your course.

Could you find out if you require a digital camera with an interchangeable lens .i.e. a DSLR (or rangefinder).

By adjustable lens do you mean a zoom lens (one with a variable focal length)?

Was the number given really 4mm or was it 40mm?

Could you elaborate on the minimum focal length requirement i.e. whether of not your teacher requires a lens that will afford you an equivalent field of view on your camera as a 40mm [or greater] lens would on a 35mm camera.
Test Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 09:04 PM   #58
Uchiha Sakura
Uchiha obsessed!!!

I'll have to find my prof. first i don't have that class untill January so as soon as i get more info i will let you guys know. Sorry i don't know much about cameras.
Costumes in progress , Wedding Ashe (FF 12), Black Rock Shooter (Vocaloid), Rinoa (FF 8), Heine (Dogs: Bullets and Carnage)
Uchiha Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #59
Covet
nomnomnompop

I've been using a Sony Cybershot P120 for about 2 years now for general photography.
(Link if you're interested: http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews61832.html)

It works with Iphoto if you're using a Macintosh or has some software to go with it if you're using Windows. They're quite durable (I say that in a way like if you drop you're bag with it inside not throwing it down the stairs :P)
And the battery lasts for a loooooong time. I went to New York in January of 2006 and had the camera on and off for about 3 days and finally decided to die on the 4th day so it's perfect for weekend con's.
The picture quality is pretty good, the photos I take with it are around 2000 pixels or so in length and height and have a lot of different settings to play around with... It contains nearly all the setting's you'd need for any type of photography, outdoor, indoor, underlit, overlit... etc.
Using some of the settings (Including the B&W one) this is a photo of my sister as an example that I took for a photography project on faces:
http://ic1.deviantart.com/fs6/i/2005...y_Covet_17.jpg

It's served me well
Covet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2007, 03:35 AM   #60
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

A high-megapixel count is not that much of a factor. Once you get around 5 mp, the only real factor is physical size of the image.

These were taken with a Fuji Finepix 4900, 2.2MP (MegaPixel). Perfect for web shots. I've seen 10MP cameras that can't match it, and it gives my Nikon a run.

I suppose the first question to ask is will you be using this for webshots only? If you are, then the MP counts above 5 are going to be a waste. If you plan to print, then going beyond that is the next step, and the 10MP range is in order.

Good Luck and don't rush into a decision.
TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa

Last edited by tfcreate : 01-09-2007 at 04:40 AM.
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote