Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-15-2007, 11:14 PM   #61
4ng31
meh.

Well, from just going through a close situation, let me recommend the following.

My girl uses a Canon S2 IS (about $300-400 depending on where you buy - reatil or ebay). Amazing camera. Delivers professional photos for a VERY reasonable price.

I recently picked up a Samsung Digimax S600...and for the price ($150), it really is probably the best "value" camera I have ever used, seen, etc...

I'd recommend checking out the new Samsung line for great quality for low cost, and Canon for anything above "normal" use.
4ng31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #62
gecota
Owl dood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruexbluesummer View Post
I've used these brands: minolta, canon, nikon, sony.

My favorite by far is canon. hasn't failed me yet.
The other ones were alright... but the model I had for minolta (f100) was pretty slow. Good quality, but it took forever to take a shot.

Especially for travelling, you might want something more compact. Having a huge lense is nice, but not very economical for travellers.

I really like the canon powershot SD series:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...ode lid=12913

Good luck finding your camera!
Oh yeah! Canon is great, it's the one I use.
gecota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #63
niimurafuxxer

what is in your opinion the best canon around $300 tops with 6-8 megapixels? I am devoted to canons but my powershot A80 and A85 (the A80 is my girlfriend's, if you are wondering why I have two. she doesn't take pictures at all though, so both are basically mine) are getting a bit old with their 4 mpx...
as a sidenote, what kind of a tripod would you recommend as my first one? I have never used one before, but having one would help a lot since I take a lot of pictures indoors and I hate it how 95% of them end up blurry because of my hands shaking.

also, as I am starting to get more into photography again (I took a photography course a few years ago, so I am not a complete noob, heh), would it be worth it to invest into a, say, S3 IS? that's the camera I have been looking at, it's on the very top of my price range though. I secretly want an EOS but they're well out of my aforementioned price range.
and rammed it through his chest.

costumes 2006 ;;
macare kyo - 90%
filth kyo - 90%
kadaj (advent children) - 15%
halloween town sora (KH1) with the pumpkinhead keyblade - 30%
ruki -cockroach pv- - in planning stage

niimurafuxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 08:08 PM   #64
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Just a heads up

PMA 2007 is going on this weekend in Las Vegas. There are major announcements from the major manufactures in the DSLR product lines.
It's worth a look if you're shopping for a new camera.
http://www.pmai.org/index.cfm/ci_id/31226.htm
http://www.dpreview.com
http://www.imaging-resource.com/EVEN...07/PMAS07.HTML
It'll give you a good idea of what's coming out over the next few weeks/months.
TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 03:06 AM   #65
gecota
Owl dood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niimurafuxxer View Post
what is in your opinion the best canon around $300 tops with 6-8 megapixels? I am devoted to canons but my powershot A80 and A85 (the A80 is my girlfriend's, if you are wondering why I have two. she doesn't take pictures at all though, so both are basically mine) are getting a bit old with their 4 mpx...
Yeah, mine is a power shot A560, 6 mega pixel, and it's really good! I would recommend it. I don't know if it comes in a higher megapixel than 6, but I know it comes in 5/6, which I've owned both and both are very good. Also, I got my for about 180, so not too bad on price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niimurafuxxer View Post
as a sidenote, what kind of a tripod would you recommend as my first one? I have never used one before, but having one would help a lot since I take a lot of pictures indoors and I hate it how 95% of them end up blurry because of my hands shaking.
I actually have no idea! I've never owned a tripod before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niimuarfuxxer View Post
also, as I am starting to get more into photography again (I took a photography course a few years ago, so I am not a complete noob, heh), would it be worth it to invest into a, say, S3 IS? that's the camera I have been looking at, it's on the very top of my price range though. I secretly want an EOS but they're well out of my aforementioned price range.
I have no idea what they're like, but from my experience, espeacially with cons, the canon powershot is one of the best ways to go.
gecota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 10:32 AM   #66
PKYuna

Hmm... I went through these pages and I'm not QUITE sure on which company to pick. I already made a thread but it got closed ;_;

i absolutely LOVE taking photographs!!! I especially love taking some candid shots of friends and such so I need something that is super non blur and can point and shoot super fast. Like, for example, i would "nonchalantly" look around and talk to people and when my friends make a face I just want to hold up the camera for a half a second, press the button and it would come out super clear and such =D Is there such a camera like that? Or am I in la-la-land...? 0_0

Oh! I have NO CLUE what any of camera terms is so speak to me in layman's terms please =D

Budget: 150-300
Photo size: i don't want something that'll take forever to load and edit when i upload them to my computer. but i want it so it'll be perfectly clear if/when i take them to the digital photo centers to get them printed.
Blur factor: i want ZERO blur factor but reasonable amount if i could turn it off or on =D
Reload time: I NEED/WANT something that i don't have to wait long to take another photo... Like... 2+ seconds is long for me ...camera wise
extras: I also want something that'll double as a camcorder
Overall: Pretty cheap for it's quality. Super non blur. Very quick point and shoot. Fast reload. Easy to use program if included. Doesn't come out too big(like a whole web page big. half a web page big is okay) Stylish. Easy to handle. Easy to work(no confusing buttons or whatnot) AND since I'm accident prone ...VERY VERY durable!!!

I'm going to be mainly using it for the photoshoots, walking around the conventions and end of the year(it's my senior year). I'm actually considered the best photographer in my group of friends ...(Sorry if i sound like i'm stroking my own ego... ^^;; )... So I also need something that can hold lots of pictures .. =D but not overload(300+) cause I'm not that crazy to take pictures of everything.

Any suggestions or does my dream camera doesn't exist yet 0_0?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by PKYuna : 03-15-2007 at 05:36 PM.
PKYuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 06:54 PM   #67
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I'm actually looking for a camera similar to what PKYuna described. I think I can spare a bit more for my camera budget, however.

Basically, I may be going to Japan at the end of the year and I want a camera that's nicer than the one I have now. This is mostly because this poor camera is falling apart!

This is my current camera: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix-...3829585&sr=8-1

I've had it since December 2003 and somehow it still works despite having fallen to the ground one too many times. Seriously, the battery compartment and memory card slot are taped shut when in use. (It's not like I don't take good care of my stuff, it's just the awful luck I've had with this thing!)

I'd like something that took better quality photos, and probably video (with sound, this one can't do that!) would be good too. I like the size of it, so I don't wanna go too much bigger in size since it needs to be nicely portable. My boyfriend has an amazingly nice camera, but it's mildly bulky. I like the fact that it has video w/sound and a viewscreen that can be tilted. I don't know if this is the exact model since I don't have it here to check, but I think it's this:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powersho...829990&sr=1-10

....So I guess something in between these two would be optimal. Haha, that's vague, sorry!! I'd get the same camera as my boy, but it's just.. so big and heavy. =/

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #68
PKYuna

Hello? Anyone wants to help out? o_0
Unread 03-15-2007, 05:25 PM   #69
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...996896&sr=1-14
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...3997246&sr=1-5

Your budget requirement won't allow for much in image stabilization technology on Canons, though. There are other brands that fit your requests.
A pro shouldn't have much of a problem with that though.

Cruise through Amazon. See what you can find. Compromise may be in order.
TFC

Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Iowa
Unread 03-15-2007, 05:36 PM   #70
PKYuna

Oh! Sorry for that. I keep forgetting to edit. Budget can be 150-300 =D
Unread 03-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #71
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Now you're in business.....
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powersho...3998226&sr=8-6
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...3998469&sr=1-5
There are quite a few Canons in that range.
TFC

Anime Iowa
Unread 03-15-2007, 06:08 PM   #72
PKYuna

Would anyone recommend these?

Sony Digicam
Canon Cam 1
Canon Cam 2

I know the first one is over the budget but prob the highest my parents are willing to pay is 350 max ..hopefully x_x either that or i have to get the job i'm applying for...fast 0_0
Unread 03-15-2007, 07:39 PM   #73
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Personally, I like the PowerShot SD630. I've heard good things about it, but it's up to you because you know more about how it's going to be used. Not just for cons, but as a day-to-day camera.
TFC

Anime Iowa
Unread 03-20-2007, 06:01 PM   #74
Alexia Ishtar
aka - Chibi Lenne

I actually just bought a nice digital camera, however, I also just started into a photography course, can anyone suggest to me a good 35mm SLR -film- camera??

Need a Hogwarts Robe?
Alexia Ishtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #75
Oklahoma
KYON Stop Taking Pictures

What is your budget?

A good 35mm say a EOS-1! I have an Elan-7 film camera I got used for around 170. There are lots of different film cameras out there. See if you can find a store that deals in used cameras and see if you can find one you like and a lens to go with it.

Anime Detour Staff:
Tech: Main Stage Lighting
Photography
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote