Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.94 average.
Unread 06-21-2007, 10:22 PM   #181
Moon_Fish

So do you have to use a mix of alcohol and ink or can you just color on the wig fibers directly? Would that work at all? Could I use prisma markers instead?
Moon_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2007, 10:45 PM   #182
Ginger Catgirl

I know you can definitely just color on the wig fibers. I don't know about prisma though.
Ginger Catgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #183
november.eyes
Srsly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_magic_01 View Post
Hi everyone, I have a question. I'm cosplaying as the Yokan version of Toshiya from dir en grey and I wanted to know if I could dye the top of a black wig I have with some sort of blue sharpie. I'm not sure if a blue sharpie will show up on a black wig, or do I need to use a light blue sharpie or a dark blue one? It doesn't have to stand out nessesary but I want to see at least a little blue at the top. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help. ^^
check local pharmacy stores under the hair dye sections. They ALWAYS have hair dye in "weird colours". Bright blue is available there, and you can get it so that it'll show up on black hair. check the back before buying to see the results on different shaded hair. Good luck ^^
november.eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2007, 07:18 PM   #184
starcat
The Third Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by november.eyes View Post
check local pharmacy stores under the hair dye sections. They ALWAYS have hair dye in "weird colours". Bright blue is available there, and you can get it so that it'll show up on black hair. check the back before buying to see the results on different shaded hair. Good luck ^^
Hair dye won't work on wigs.
Unread 06-24-2007, 10:59 AM   #185
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by november.eyes View Post
As has already been said:

Hair dye does not work on wigs.

I think a sticky needs to be made about that point... Hm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
So do you have to use a mix of alcohol and ink or can you just color on the wig fibers directly? Would that work at all? Could I use prisma markers instead?
Using a Prismacolor would be a good experiment, but they're too expensive to use, in my opinion. I mean, Sharpies are a dollar... And Prismas are like... $4-5 aren't they? But yes, you can definitely color the wig strand by strand.
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #186
Moon_Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Clover View Post
As has already been said:

Hair dye does not work on wigs.

I think a sticky needs to be made about that point... Hm.....

Using a Prismacolor would be a good experiment, but they're too expensive to use, in my opinion. I mean, Sharpies are a dollar... And Prismas are like... $4-5 aren't they? But yes, you can definitely color the wig strand by strand.

So once i color the wig w/ sharpies or prismas, do i leave it in or do i have to rinse it at all? Sorry, I've never dyed a wig before ><
Unread 06-25-2007, 11:00 PM   #187
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
So once i color the wig w/ sharpies or prismas, do i leave it in or do i have to rinse it at all? Sorry, I've never dyed a wig before ><

Once you have all of your dye on the wig, run cold water over it until the water runs clear. ^_^
Unread 06-25-2007, 11:39 PM   #188
Moon_Fish

Thanks Alot! ^^
Unread 06-26-2007, 01:56 AM   #189
DivineSage
Formerly OokamiTsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Catgirl View Post
Hm, yeah. I'm dyeing a Punky XL from a whiteish color (not pure white, sort of a very light ashy color) to a light, sort of muted blue. (Ref pic: http://tales.namco.com/symphonia/images/con_regal.jpg)

I'm on the Sharpie website now (lolz) and they have two colors that look promising, the sky blue and the blue ice... which would you recommend, and how many sharpies / how much alcohol would I need to dye a wig of that length?

(Yes, am aware that Punky wigs are hard to dye. :P. I'll make it work.)
I haven't used blue ice before, but sky blue is actually much darker than it looks like it would be on the cap. It's the right shade of blue for what you want, but you'll have to dilute it more than usual to avoid the darkness of it (lol, did that make sense?).
DivineSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #190
Ginger Catgirl

Hm, I see what you mean. *eyes the wig dye which is currently sitting* O_o it definitely needs to be diluted. And I'm really glad I got both shades of light blue (i have no idea what their names are), because one turned out more of a periwinkle-purpley color. The other one is perfect though.

...Huh. I got 91% instead of 70. o well.
Ginger Catgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #191
ichimarugin

ok i am doing ichigo and i have a light orange wig that i thought would be darker so heres what im asking. if i were to take a bunch of pumpkin color sharpies and hand color it would it take well? since it is just a darker shade of the previous color.
ichimarugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #192
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichimarugin View Post
ok i am doing ichigo and i have a light orange wig that i thought would be darker so heres what im asking. if i were to take a bunch of pumpkin color sharpies and hand color it would it take well? since it is just a darker shade of the previous color.
If the wig is light orange, it should work just fine.

But if the wig is a medium to dark color, I've found that it will take dye barely, if at all.
Unread 08-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #193
ichimarugin

ok this is the wig that i am talking about

http://www.amphigory.com/wigs_flaunt_rock_candy.html

the thing is i wanted to use the pumpkin colored sharpie. do you think it would take it or would i be better off getting a white wig and starting from there?
ichimarugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #194
Goldfinch

First off, I'd like to thank everyone who provided tips and tutorials to this thread. Thanks to all of you, I'm trying my own hand at sharpie dying.

My question is: is it ok to use baby shampoo when washing the extra ink out of the wig? Because I'm doing a partial dye job I really can't submerge the entire wig while washing it, but running the dyed part under the faucet really is rather tedious, and the water really doesn't want to run clear. Any suggestions?
Goldfinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #195
chisainekocat
Harr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichimarugin View Post
ok this is the wig that i am talking about

http://www.amphigory.com/wigs_flaunt_rock_candy.html

the thing is i wanted to use the pumpkin colored sharpie. do you think it would take it or would i be better off getting a white wig and starting from there?
As long the original color is at least lighter than what you want, you will be fine. It's easier to dye something lighter than the intended color as opposed to just plain white since it will take less sharpie ink to dye. You can always dilute the ink more should the ink from just one Sharpie be too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinch View Post
First off, I'd like to thank everyone who provided tips and tutorials to this thread. Thanks to all of you, I'm trying my own hand at sharpie dying.

My question is: is it ok to use baby shampoo when washing the extra ink out of the wig? Because I'm doing a partial dye job I really can't submerge the entire wig while washing it, but running the dyed part under the faucet really is rather tedious, and the water really doesn't want to run clear. Any suggestions?
That might be more trouble than it's worth. I've tried to wash just part of a wig once, but the bit of shampoo just foamed everywhere and I ended up having to rinse the whole wig anyway. You may have better luck, but you really just have to be patient with rinsing out the extra dye. If it helps to motivate you, the extra dye has to go somewhere: either down the sink, or on your costume. That's what I tell myself when I'm just sitting there with this bleeding wig, anyway, ahaha.

My old cosplay group: JAC Productions (with Paro Paro Inc friends) jac-productions.com/
chisainekocat is offline   Reply With Quote