Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 07-04-2006, 02:26 AM   #16
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

I'm just wondering... wouldn't it work to use Letraset Pantone ink instead of sharpies ? May come out a bit more expensive, but those inks are available in small vials for refilling Tria markers, so the mixing part would be a bit less tedious, and the color choice is huge.

Last edited by Ashurachan : 07-04-2006 at 02:33 AM.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #17
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

That's actually a really good idea Ashura! Has anyone tried it? It seems like it would work out well, since it's a similar type of ink.
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #18
PinkCow
It's been a while.

I have a question regarding this...

Would you say that either directly coloring with or spraying on the Sharpie marker dye is the -best- method for a short, blond wig to become orange? If yes, then I'll do that; if not, could you direct me to a thread with info about a better method?

I don't know much about wigs at all (none, really) so I apologize for not making... much sense.
PinkCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #19
wiltingflower
Nayru's Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkCow
I have a question regarding this...

Would you say that either directly coloring with or spraying on the Sharpie marker dye is the -best- method for a short, blond wig to become orange? If yes, then I'll do that; if not, could you direct me to a thread with info about a better method?

I don't know much about wigs at all (none, really) so I apologize for not making... much sense.
Well, do you have more time on your hands or more ink? If you're not rushed for time (and very, very patient), you could color it by hand, coloring in small layers. On a short wig, it shouldn't take you much time at all. Spray dying it is "quicker" (not counting the time it takes to harvest the sharpie ink), but it is messy and will take a few coats to get the whole wig covered.
wiltingflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #20
Cora
Shine Forever

Also, if your wig is touching any part of your costume, be careful if you use the spray/dunk method and be sure to rinse it THOROUGHLY otherwise whatever rubs against the costume will turn it colors.

So if you've got the time, hand-color it. For a shorter wig, it won't take so long, and the results will be good. But again, be sure to rinse it well ^^
Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #21
PinkCow
It's been a while.

Thank you both very much. ^^ That's a good point about the wig touching the costume, too--maybe I should look at that before I decide which way to go.
PinkCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 01:04 AM   #22
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

Does anyone have any time estimates for dying a wig by directly coloring it with Sharpies? I have a chin-length wig I need to change from blonde to a bright, deep red. I know the color would probably turn out better if I hand-color it than spray-dye it... but my patience is already close to its end after struggling with my Lulu skirt so I'm not sure if I'd be willing to sit down and hand-color it if it's going to take in excess of about 5 or 6 hours. Those of you who hand-colored yours, how long was the wig and how long did it take you?
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 09:40 AM   #23
Kanna-chan

well, if it's going to take that long, I wouldn't suggest colouring the wig all in one sitting, you know. (laugh) When you get tired of it, maybe leave the wig alone for a while and then come back to it later.
Kanna-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 12:13 AM   #24
koibito813
do the forbidden dance!!

hope i'm posting in the right place for this...^^; well, last halloween i wore a true red colored punky type wig to go with my cosplay. i want to make it more of a burgundy/darker red shade with pretty dark red roots. i don't think i've got much time to buy from katie bair so i'm thinking about following the sharpie method to dye my wig.

just so you know, i'm going to a convention to cosplay as axel from KHII. i've heard of someone who used the sharpie method to die their wig but i'm stuck! i'm pretty sure i'm gonna end up coloring the whole thing in one sit down. XD;

what color sharpie would work best? also, wouldn't wig shops have wig dye on shelf? thanks in advance.
koibito813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 12:43 AM   #25
Angel Tifa
Survivor of Horror 4-ever

A little over a wig ago, I've just dyed some blonde hair extenstions with not a sharpie, but a marker I bought at Aaron Brothers that also work's like a charm.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=977224

I didn't use the whole formula with rubbing alcohol, I just simply started coloring the wig with the marker. That works too. Note; my whole wig isn't colored, just some hair extensions in the back are as well as the hair extensions on the bangs.

2008 Cosplay list:
Ada Wong/Resident Evil 2 Completed
Heather Mason/Silent Hill 3 Completed

I claim -Tifa Lockhart/Final Fantasy VII- at the claiming thread

Last edited by Angel Tifa : 02-14-2007 at 12:46 AM.
Angel Tifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #26
yamibakura03
a Time Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFontBandit View Post
Does anyone have any time estimates for dying a wig by directly coloring it with Sharpies? I have a chin-length wig I need to change from blonde to a bright, deep red. I know the color would probably turn out better if I hand-color it than spray-dye it... but my patience is already close to its end after struggling with my Lulu skirt so I'm not sure if I'd be willing to sit down and hand-color it if it's going to take in excess of about 5 or 6 hours. Those of you who hand-colored yours, how long was the wig and how long did it take you?
I just colored a short white wig with one light green sharpie.
it work since i spray into the wig and then let it dry and once more spray more to even the colors. turn out great, just need wash it and make sure i didnt miss any spots XD.

i know coloring it by hand be great but my friend needed it quick so i didnt had time for that. just make sure if your going to spray it into the wig, keep repeating it till the wig is fuly cover. i dont have pics right now but soon i wll.
Future Cons:Anime Matsuri 2015
Elsword Cosplays: Blade Master Raven ver 2.0 (81%) andIron Paladin Chung (21%)
yamibakura03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #27
FE Freak
buys Arda Wig exclusively

I have 2 green Sharpies ready to go,I was just wondering how much alcohol I'll be needing.The *fabric" of the Sharipie isn't producing as much ink as did in the beginning.All help is appreciated,thank you.
FE Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #28
chisainekocat
Harr0

A 16 fl oz bottle will do, even though you will only need 2/3 of it for making the dye (1/3 per marker as a starting point). Save the rest to clean up your work area.

As you let the filament of the Sharpie sit in the dye, make sure you cut parts of it to let more alcohol soak through. You can also periodically squeeze the filament with whatever tools you have nearby to help extract the ink.

My old cosplay group: JAC Productions (with Paro Paro Inc friends) jac-productions.com/
chisainekocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #29
twinkie
<3 ross

Could i take a dark colored wig and sharpie color it with a silver sharpie (they have these silver ones that are awesome. XD)

Add me on facebook
twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 05:20 PM   #30
yamibakura03
a Time Traveler

It wont work since you have a dark wig. unless it was a white wig or a light wig it would work.

to FFfreak: what chisainekocat said is true.

Has anyone mix two different alcohol levels? I have mix a 50% and a 71% and when my dye was ready and spray it on the wig. it turn out a bit better then i thought.
Future Cons:Anime Matsuri 2015
Elsword Cosplays: Blade Master Raven ver 2.0 (81%) andIron Paladin Chung (21%)
yamibakura03 is offline   Reply With Quote