Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 04-04-2007, 07:39 AM   #46
PockyPants
PockyPants

Stupid question: How do I break open the sharpie?

Unread 04-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #47
FE Freak
buys Arda Wig exclusively

You should get some pliers,I'd use needlenose because it's longer,and just pry the gray part off.It takes a bit of elbow grease though.Just be sure to pry it away from you.Or you could cut it deep enough then pry it,both work.
FE Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2007, 03:57 AM   #48
Tart Doux

Question:

After dyeing a wig with sharpies, either with a homemade alcohol dye or the hand method, can I style it normally? If I use hair spray or similar products, wouldn't the alcohol potentially ruin the dye?
Tart Doux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2007, 06:45 AM   #49
PockyPants
PockyPants

Thank you!
Unread 04-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #50
Jequila
Too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tart Doux View Post
Question:

After dyeing a wig with sharpies, either with a homemade alcohol dye or the hand method, can I style it normally? If I use hair spray or similar products, wouldn't the alcohol potentially ruin the dye?
Hairspray made my sharpie dye come out, but FW ink worked.
Jequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2007, 08:30 AM   #51
Yukinosama
aka Rhikara

This thread is awesome! Thanks for all the info!
Yukinosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2007, 10:15 AM   #52
FE Freak

Quote:
Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jequila View Post
Hairspray made my sharpie dye come out, but FW ink worked.
Well I dyed my wig with FW and Sharpie.I used Sally's Conditioner to get it more managable,after a while some of the ink (FW)started coming off.Nothing noticable of course,but still.Yes I did wash it thoruoghly,and as always make sure you test it with a swatch,hope the rambling somehow helped you.
Unread 04-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #53
Tart Doux

Okay, thanks.

So what styling products would you recommend for a fully Sharpie'd wig, so that the ink doesn't come out?
Tart Doux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #54
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FE Freak View Post
You should get some pliers,I'd use needlenose because it's longer,and just pry the gray part off.It takes a bit of elbow grease though.Just be sure to pry it away from you.Or you could cut it deep enough then pry it,both work.
I've found that if you just bend the Sharpie in your hands back and forth a little (with the lid on, of course) if just pops open, no tools required. ^_^
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #55
FE Freak

Quote:
Okay, thanks.

So what styling products would you recommend for a fully Sharpie'd wig, so that the ink doesn't come out?
I cant say,I'd wait for Chisainekocat to answer your question.My wig is 95% FW ink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Clover View Post
I've found that if you just bend the Sharpie in your hands back and forth a little (with the lid on, of course) if just pops open, no tools required. ^_^
Hmm..I never thought of that..I'll try that right away.
Unread 04-05-2007, 10:50 PM   #56
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
I cant say,I'd wait for Chisainekocat to answer your question.My wig is 95% FW ink.

Hmm..I never thought of that..I'll try that right away.

Yeah, I was just messing around, and they pop open pretty easily. : )

You just have to be careful not to open it too roughly, or the ink filament thing will come flying out at you. XD
Unread 04-05-2007, 11:40 PM   #57
yamibakura03
aka Ludger03

Quote:

You just have to be careful not to open it too roughly, or the ink filament thing will come flying out at you. XD
XD lolz no need for pliers guys. Yeah just wiggle the sharpie and voila! It open. of course the last wiggle you'll hear a sound which means you open it and the ink looks like a short plastic stick. the hair looking that inside it is the one you need for dipping it in the RA.
Elsword Cosplays: Blade Master Raven ver 2.0 (81%) andIron Paladin Chung (21%)
Tales of Xillia 2- Victor Mel Mata (16%) & Jude Mathis (10%)
yamibakura03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2007, 12:14 AM   #58
chisainekocat
Harr0

Quote:
o_o. Wow, thank you! That's a sign I spend waaaaayy too much time on this board. XD

Any styling products without a lot of alcohol in it won't take out the ink from your wig. However, it's nearly impossible to style most wigs without some hairspray, and hairspray has tons of alcohol in it. In that case, just touch your wig as little as possible when styling it. You're going to get globs of ink on your hands, but it shouldn't seriously affect the dye job. Just do what you need to do and refrain from petting your wig or whatever until it dries.

My old cosplay group: JAC Productions (with Paro Paro Inc friends) jac-productions.com/
chisainekocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #59
FE Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisainekocat View Post
o_o. Wow, thank you! That's a sign I spend waaaaayy too much time on this board. XD

Any styling products without a lot of alcohol in it won't take out the ink from your wig. However, it's nearly impossible to style most wigs without some hairspray, and hairspray has tons of alcohol in it. In that case, just touch your wig as little as possible when styling it. You're going to get globs of ink on your hands, but it shouldn't seriously affect the dye job. Just do what you need to do and refrain from petting your wig or whatever until it dries.
No problem,and I wish you had told me this information yesterday.I was wondering why ink*some* ink kept coming off.It wasn't with hairspray but still.Ok,well I don't have to panic as much as I used to anymore.So to see if i got this right,in the case of conditioner,let it set for a while,THEN style it?

Quote:

I tried that yesterday with a black sharpie and was like wow, she's right.Think of all the ink I'll be saving from now on.
Unread 04-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #60
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

@FE Freak: It sure as heck saved me a lot of time when I was making a massive dyebath for my Princess Eirika wig. XD Stupid not making turqoise wigs...

And I'll have to make another massive dye bath this year for Etna and again for another round of Eirika dying. ._.

I do think that the Sharpie thing works better if you use a bucket and let the wig soak in it. Someone told me to put it in a spray bottle and comb it through, but the effects of gravity makes all of the dye drip and the top of the wigs never gets dyed as nicely as the rest of it. ._.