Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 70 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 04-07-2007, 11:46 AM   #61
FE Freak
buys Arda Wig exclusively

Well I dont think combing it through helped me at all,at soon as the mist grabbed the hair,it stuck to it,somewhat resulting in uneven hair dying.

The opposite happens to me,I can never get deep down to the roots of the wig in the back.It's not noticeable but still.
FE Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2007, 11:57 AM   #62
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FE Freak View Post
Well I dont think combing it through helped me at all,at soon as the mist grabbed the hair,it stuck to it,somewhat resulting in uneven hair dying.

The opposite happens to me,I can never get deep down to the roots of the wig in the back.It's not noticeable but still.

Yeah, the comb just messed up my wig more than it helped. I also had trouble getting the ink to stick to the roots and close to the scalp of the wig, all the way around. (I assume because of our aforementioned friend Mr. Gravity...)

So I'll be doing Etna with a giant tub of dye instead of trying to comb the dye through all those extensions... Since now I have to redo all the wigs I dyed last year, since the roots are looking slopppy and half-arsed : (
Envel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 12:53 PM   #63
FE Freak
buys Arda Wig exclusively

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Clover View Post

So I'll be doing Etna with a giant tub of dye instead of trying to comb the dye through all those extensions... Since now I have to redo all the wigs I dyed last year, since the roots are looking slopppy and half-arsed : (
Imagine an all green wig with brown roots.<_<Those two colors weren't meant to co-exist on a wig.>_>
FE Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #64
Shiroake
YOU LACK SEXY -eye beam-

Joining the wig party here..once I buy some sharpies, I'm going to attempt to color my white wig into blonde :x I also have a hairdye/hairspray stuff (it's hair spray, but also has dye in it..-checks box- it also sprays on and shampoo's off.) that I will probably be using for styling (gel and hairspray will be my new best friends).

After coloring the whole wig (before styling), am I allowed to wash my wig with shampoo and conditioner like normal hair? Or will the sharpie color come out (meaning I should wash my wig before I begin coloring.)

If this was mentioned already, I'm blind and missed it XD; I read through the thread looking for that. This'll be my first wig and I don't want to screw it up too badly >_>;

Oh, another question: would highlighters work as well? Or would they be too neon colored/wash out too easily?
Edward [Fullmetal Alchemist] 90% curse you automail >(

Done:
What, recently? YOU SILLY HAHAHA

Last edited by Shiroake : 04-08-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: extra question
Shiroake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #65
distantarray

sounds like too much work, use REDKEN shades EQ semi permenant color should cost like $10 it'll be done in 20minutes.

no peroxide or ammonia to damage the wig either.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #66
Ludger03
Corpse Shell Wielder

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantarray View Post
sounds like too much work, use REDKEN shades EQ semi permenant color should cost like $10 it'll be done in 20minutes.

no peroxide or ammonia to damage the wig either.
wigs arent real hair so ammonia or peroxide wouldnt matter.

Actually buying single colors wont cost you more then a $1. so it is cheaper then buying Redken. of course, i dont think people have use Redken so the results would not be the same.
Elsword Cosplays: Blade Master Raven ver 2.0 (81%) andIron Paladin Chung (21%)
Tales of Xillia 2- Victor Mel Mata (16%) & Jude Mathis (10%)
Ludger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #67
distantarray

actually ammonia and peroxide will damage wigs so it will matter.

real or synthetic hair both have cuticles that can be exspanded and damaged with either or.
Unread 04-08-2007, 11:43 PM   #68
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FE Freak View Post
Imagine an all green wig with brown roots.<_<Those two colors weren't meant to co-exist on a wig.>_>
Sounds like a pain to dye, if nothing else. : D

As far as the RedKen stuff goes, unless the colors are mixable, and unless it comes in as many colors as Sharpies, it wouldn't help me much. Most of the time I have to dye a wig because the color of the characters' hair is so obscure that they don't even make wigs in it. (Like Princess Eirika's turqoise hair, or Etna's hair, which can't make up its mind if it's red or pink...) And I have yet to dye a wig and not have to mix different colors of Sharpies to get the color that I need.

Besides, I have -yet- to spend $10 on a Sharpie dyebath on any single wig. Unless RedKen comes in some really obscure colors, which I doubt, it would be insanely expensive compared to Sharpies to mix it and get the right shades anyhow.

I've sent my Marth wig through three Sharpie dye sessions, and conditioned him once. There has been no visible damage to him in any shape or form. My Princess Eirika wig went through two dye sessions, and the only thing that has damaged her is the comb itself. (Bad idea to comb dye through a waist-length wig.) Both wigs will be a year old in a month.

So I have yet to see any evidence that the dye itself damages the wigs.
Unread 04-09-2007, 02:39 AM   #69
distantarray

actually redken is a professional color company, and it's a mixable color you add developer to

anyways if you want flambouyant colors use special effects color would save you a lot of time and headache.

special effects color NEVER FADES and will even stain metal for weeks so kitchen sinks beware! and wear GLOVES

it does'nt damage the hair you don't have to mix anything, and you can get it in bunch of different colors, you can pick it up at hot topic or punk rock shops. it's like manic panic that actually has staying power.
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
Unread 04-09-2007, 10:42 AM   #70
Envel
I'm a little teapot!

Making Sharpie dye is no headache at all. I don't mind it one bit.

Besides, if it stains that easily, then it's an instant no-go. When I dye my wigs with Sharpie, I have no problem with the dye cleaning up quite easily, but the dye itself doesn't come off of the wig. (Unless I want it to.) The last thing I need is stains all over my house. (I refuse to dye wigs outside now because of a mishap last year.)

It's also been a year, as I said, and I have yet to see any fading in any of the wigs that I have dyed. I have also already mentioned that the dye does not damage the wigs. And besides, none of the Hot Topics where I live sell any of that dye you're talking about. (I've looked to see what they have out of curiosity in the past.) Any dye that Hot Topic does carry doesn't come in very many colors (not as many as Sharpies, anyway), and if I have to order the stuff online, that makes it a lot more pain in the butt than heading down to the craft store and picking up a rainbow of Sharpies.

Besides, as I've already said, even without the shipping costs, Sharpies are still MUCH cheaper than buying the professional hair color.

I would, however, like to see a wig that you've dyed with your method to see what it looks like. : )
Unread 04-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #71
Clive-kun
Secretly a supervillain

I have a question for those who did Axel (or that color red) wigs with this method. I'm going to do my Roxel wig with sharpie and I was just wondering a few questions. Does it work as well on blonde as it does on white? And if I'm coloring (not making the solution with alcohol and everything) right on the wig, can I style it first? Thanks!
Clive-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2007, 12:37 AM   #72
sodman2k

I am making an Envy wig which is currently a dark blonde colour which is to be dyed (using acrylic ink and alcohol) and styled (hopefuly) in an acurate "palm tree" style. My question is how do i avoid damaging the dyeing of the wig when i style it? Should i avoid certain products? what does everyone else use to style shapie/FW dyed wigs?
Sodman2k
Unread 04-13-2007, 09:39 AM   #73
Seventh_Sin

Just don't use massive amounts of hairspray - it'll cause the dye to streak or come off.
Seventh_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #74
Tigerzeyes
~ Evil Butterfly Minion ~

If I were to spray dye a wig in a bathtub... would the Sharpie stain the bathtub? Is Sharpie difficult to get off stuff like... sinks and bathtubs?
What kind of cleaning products will do it?
My mom will KILL me if I stain her bathroom.
Unread 04-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #75
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerzeyes View Post
If I were to spray dye a wig in a bathtub... would the Sharpie stain the bathtub? Is Sharpie difficult to get off stuff like... sinks and bathtubs?
What kind of cleaning products will do it?
My mom will KILL me if I stain her bathroom.

Yes, my tub was stained purple in places. However, I found that that powdered Oxy Clean stuff got rid off all traces of the Sharpie dye in just a few minutes with next to no scrubbing. I just covered the stained area with the oxy clean and then ran about half an inch of hot water over top of it and let it sit for about 5 minutes, came back and it was gone. O_o

Prior to using the oxy clean, I tried ajax, awesome, and some other cleaner to get it out....no dice. If you don't have Oxy clean, I recommend doing it over a stainless steel sink....those come clean much easier in my experience. ^^
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote