Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #781
thee1JulietPT

Thanks so much! But I was hoping that it wouldn't come off the wig. I want to make sure it won't run onto my skin or anything if I sweat...

And after looking at cosworx new website I think the Airily light blue angel bob will do. What do you think? Also, do you know if these are good quality wigs?

Last edited by thee1JulietPT : 08-18-2010 at 07:43 PM.
thee1JulietPT is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #782
Kerodohi
No longer active

@thee1JulietPT: No problem!
If the wig took the dye well and has been properly rinsed, just sweating won't make it come off. You'll need strong alcohol to take the color out. Sharpie is permanent marker after all ^-^
As for the wig, that one looks like a good style and color for Eureka. Airily makes a pretty good wig, I think - they can be a little thin sometimes, but they're very soft.
Unread 08-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #783
Moon Melody
Dawwwn ! ^__^

Hi everyone !
I'm working on a Tomoyo cosplay, and I want a long, black with purple reflects wig, but I haven't found the color. So I was thinking of take this wig :

http://shop.cosplay.com/wigs/zephyr/...lack-blue.html

And color it with purple sharpie to have purple reflets.

Am I better taking this one, or a black one ? Or should it be better taking a white one and then dye it entiarly ?

Thank you !
Moon Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #784
caisse
the sugoi princess

So I just dyed a pink wig reddish-orange for my Princess Tutu cosplay. Today, after rinsing the wig several times the night before and letting it dry, I began to style the wig... but the hairspray I used (Got2B) turned the fibers a strange color and gave off residue when touched before allowing some color to come off when rinsed again.

Should I just use the hairspray with caution or is there something else I can do?

katsucon 2012
friday;; feferi peixes [homestuck] | ramona flowers [scott pilgrim]
saturday;; stocking anarchy [pswg] | catherine [catherine]
sunday meenah peixes [homestuck]

caisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #785
Kerodohi
No longer active

@Moon Melody: If you're meaning Tomoyo from Cardcaptor Sakura, I think I would personally go for the black wig. The blue just looks too inaccurate to me. You can hand-color with some Sharpies to get a bit of purple sheen on the black, but it probably won't show up unless you're in bright light. With the black wig, at least you'll still be pretty close to her hair color even if the purple isn't noticeable, though.
(I would strongly recommend not starting with a white wig and trying to dye it - black ink is actually not black at all, and will likely come out a gross greenish/reddish color)

@caisse: Yes, use the hairspray with much, much caution. The main ingredient in hairspray is alcohol, which (as you've probably guessed) can strip the color off the wig. So use it as sparingly as you can ^-^
Unread 08-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #786
lainaleech

Hi! I'm making a wig for Toni Ipres from Hanna is Not a Boy's Name and I found the perfect ponytail for it, but it's pink. Her hair is black. I don't think I'd have any problems dying the pink wig black, but I just wanted to make sure I'd still be able to. (the ponytail is here.) I figure I'd have to do multiple coats to make it *really black*. Is that possible with sharpies?

Thanks!
lainaleech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #787
Kerodohi
No longer active

@lainaleech: I somehow managed to miss your post. I'm sorry x_x
Unfortunately, the ink in Sharpies (and indeed in most types of markers) isn't really black at all, but a gross mix of green/red/purple colors, which is what you'll get when you try to dye with them. You might want to try looking into FW ink- I think they make something called 'True Black' ink, which actually is black. But still, the easiest way to get a nice black wig is to buy a nice black wig ^-^
Unread 09-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #788
lelia12
Master Procrastinator

Does anyone know if taking a white or silver sharpie and hand coloring a black or really dark brown wig would make it look a lighter grey color?We are trying to make a Xigbar wig it doesn't need to work perfectly just thinking. Or maybe bleach strips of the wig and then use sharpies would work. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

EDIT:
I tried it out with the silver sharpie and it worked pretty well.

Last edited by lelia12 : 09-29-2010 at 11:13 PM.
lelia12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #789
Kerodohi
No longer active

@lelia12: Hmm, I've never actually tried that, so not entirely sure how that would go. Even if the silver does color the wig, though, it'll be streaky and patchy. (And they don't make white Sharpies unless you're talking about the paint-filled ones, which really shouldn't be used on wigs, haha!) Wigs are plastic, so even straight-up 100% bleach does nothing to the color.

My recommendation in this case would be to get some light-colored wefts and sew them in. It might seem fiddly, but it'll save your sanity and look a lot nicer.
Unread 09-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #790
Giratina
Here we go!

Agreed; holding the wig upside-down and bleaching it would probably not be the best idea, and if you botch up and dye something wrong... well, yeah, wefts would be easier.

That said, I've got a question concerning a wig for another member of the Organization, the resident strongman. (Don't ask me why I'm cosplaying him. XD) Anyway, his hair is a sort of auburn color that is surprisingly rare to come across, and the only wig that even comes close is overbudget and will take far too long to arrive. So I was wondering if it would be possible to take a hot-pink Scruffy and dye it that shade, or whether I should get a white Scruffy L and Sharpify it somehow. I haven't ever dyed anything before, so...
Unread 09-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #791
Kerodohi
No longer active

@Giratina: *wants to ask why you're cosplaying him* xD *is shot*
If you haven't dyed anything before, you may want to try getting a base color that's closer to his. Not that pink couldn't be dyed, but the wig will have a noticeable pinkish undertone to the brown, since dye really only tints the fibers. I would suggest getting either a blond wig to dye completely brown, or a light reddish-brown wig that you could add lowlights to. (White is usually recommended to start with, but I'd pick the blond just because it'll add a bit of warmth to your brown color. Since it's a light color, it will turn out very similar to a white. And if you happen to miss some spots it looks more natural than white, too ^-^)
Unread 09-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #792
Zerrat

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to get yellow Sharpie markers in Australia? I swear I've checked all over for them, and not a sign!

Also, I'm having issues finding 70% rubbing alcohol anywhere. Supermarkets, chemists/pharmacies, Bunnings and other hardware places. I've given in and decided to go Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rubbing-Alcohol-...item1e5a45c58b

Just asking, would this stuff be alright to use? I don't want to import the stuff and then have it ruin a good wig, that's all.

Last edited by Zerrat : 09-17-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Zerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 03:38 AM   #793
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

Use Copic, or any kind of permanent markers with alcohol-soluble ink. (I prefer Copic because you can buy refill tanks instead of harvesting the markers, and it comes in over 200 shades.)

70% rubbing alcohol is fine, have you looked for 100% (99.6%) isopropyl alcohol though? That's what I use and it may even be cheaper. I'd definitely buy it locally or from a domestic seller, international shipping for hazardous goods would probably cost a fortune and it really is a very common product. If your local pharmacy can't help you, check out online stores for medical or cleaning supplies / chemicals.
Unread 09-17-2010, 03:47 AM   #794
Yuuyamitaiyou

I'm needing to dye a wig for uruha from the gazette his hair is a bit three toned any ideas on how to do that?
Yuuyamitaiyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 06:23 AM   #795
Zerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukkii-san View Post
Use Copic, or any kind of permanent markers with alcohol-soluble ink. (I prefer Copic because you can buy refill tanks instead of harvesting the markers, and it comes in over 200 shades.)

70% rubbing alcohol is fine, have you looked for 100% (99.6%) isopropyl alcohol though? That's what I use and it may even be cheaper. I'd definitely buy it locally or from a domestic seller, international shipping for hazardous goods would probably cost a fortune and it really is a very common product. If your local pharmacy can't help you, check out online stores for medical or cleaning supplies / chemicals.
Thank you very much! A quick check on a local arts supplier says they've got a big range of copic markers. I'll check around the forums to see about ratios and such.

After trawling google for a few hours, I think I've located a supplier of 99.6% at a Dick Smith Electronics. 250ml bottles for around $8, it's the best I've come across. My only other option is Adelaide Moulding and Casting Supplies, but I think I'll go with DSE. Would never have thought to check there!
Zerrat is offline   Reply With Quote