Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > D.Gray Man

Unread 05-22-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
Hanabishi
Dani

D. Gray-Man Allen Walker costume help needed! ^_^;;

I have a few questions, but my main one is, where to find a wig that fits him? I'm looking everywhere and the only white wigs I'm finding are VERY long. I really don't want to spend all that money to waste all that hair, but I will if I have to. I'd just like to see some alternatives first.

Also, for the exorcist coat, what kind of material should I use? I don't mind weight, just comfort. There's some pictures below of both his hair and the coat. Any help is greatly appreciated!

http://www.hydeist.org/timcanpi/layo...ol01_grand.htm
http://i4.tinypic.com/10fqe82.jpg

Sorry, I'm looking for more pictures right now. If anyone on here already knows how the outfit and his hair look, tips please? Or even better, someone who's already cosplayed as him? ^^;; Thanks so much!
Hanabishi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-22-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
xdirengreyxdiex

hello there ^^

My friend is going to cosplay allen as well, and I'm going to be making her wig...I think for hers I decided the best style to use would be the femme fatale in lily from amphigory.com (as seen here : http://www.amphigory.com/wigs_femme_fatale.html)
of course it would require some straightening, cutting, and styling, but I think its a nice length to start with without, like you said, wasting a bunch of hair...

as for his coat...I was thinking like a thin-ish denim maybe...but then again, I'm not a fabric expert, so you may want other suggestions about that one...>_> XDD

I hope that helps you a bit...^^
The Millenium Earl +D. Gray-Man+
xdirengreyxdiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
Tifa Lin
Lin Lin-Chan

Hi!! YAY, another D. Gray Man cosplayer...his coat is made out of suit material...
Tifa Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
Prof Farnsworth
Renegade Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanabishi
Also, for the exorcist coat, what kind of material should I use? I don't mind weight, just comfort. There's some pictures below of both his hair and the coat. Any help is greatly appreciated!

http://www.hydeist.org/timcanpi/layo...ol01_grand.htm
http://i4.tinypic.com/10fqe82.jpg
Well a lot of european military uniforms in history were a thick wool, but that'd be quite uncomfortable & expensive so uh... no lol. I'd go with a cotton denim (the kind used for jackets). It's breathable and easy to work with and care for (just remember the iron). Plus, it's easier to dye, if needed. I always make an effort to avoid polyester, horribly uncomfortable as it doesn't breathe well. Even the wool suiting I used for my Alucard is cooler than polyester.

If going for even more comfort, a good cotton broadcloth (100% cotton, and I find Jo ann's broadcloths to have a better body to them) will breathe loverly ^_^ although it won't be as stiff as denim of course so you might want to add a lining. For a lining, never use acetate. That stuff is really uncomfortable...that's the reason it's really cheap lol. I'd use rayon or a thin linen.

Hope that helps. :japan:

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

"You can't rule the world in hiding. You've got to come out on the balcony sometimes and wave a tentacle." - The Doctor

Last edited by Prof Farnsworth : 05-22-2006 at 09:34 PM.
Prof Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 09:58 PM   #5
Hanabishi
Dani

Allen's hair isn't wavy though...Are there any other options : [

Last edited by Hanabishi : 05-22-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Unread 05-22-2006, 10:01 PM   #6
Hanabishi
Dani

Oh no worries. I'm lining the inside with red material, something that feels silky, but not quite silk (such a pain to work with x_x;. Weight doesn't necessarily bother me, I'm just looking for whatever material will stay the least wrinkled, so I don't have to worry about ironing it at a con XD;

(random note: I'm allergic to wool, so yay to wool not working! XD;;
Unread 05-22-2006, 10:29 PM   #7
Prof Farnsworth
Renegade Time Lord

Quote:
Weight doesn't necessarily bother me, I'm just looking for whatever material will stay the least wrinkled, so I don't have to worry about ironing it at a con XD;
Aye, and there's the rub about cotton, it does wrinkle, the thinner the worse. Broadcloth does have a tendency to wrinkle. whoo boy, you shouldave seen my Alucard frockcoat after taking a nap on the bed... 0_0 the horror.

Here's an idea of the denim selections at hancock fabrics: http://www.hancockfabrics.com/shopping/search/searchresultsmain.jsp?fresh=1&searchType=advanced& iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&attribute14=0&attribute15=0&a ttribute16=0&RS=1&keyword=denim

The thing is, colours are limited, but in this case, it's ok, cause it looks like black and white are the only main colours on his coat...right?

I couldn't tell you for sure if the 8oz would be the right thickness without feeling it, but it' a start. As for the white, that lightweight bull denim should be nice or even a simple white flannel, since you'll only need to use it to accent & cover parts that are black like the front, and the cuff (and of course the epaulette). I'd take a look at em both together to see which one matches with the black denim better. You wouldn't want it showing through.

Quote:
(random note: I'm allergic to wool, so yay to wool not working! XD;;
Ha hah, well that rules out going the suiting route, since the better suiting materials are wool.

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

"You can't rule the world in hiding. You've got to come out on the balcony sometimes and wave a tentacle." - The Doctor

Last edited by Prof Farnsworth : 05-22-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Unread 05-23-2006, 06:59 PM   #8
xdirengreyxdiex

Quote:
Allen's hair isn't wavy though...Are there any other options : [
yes, I do know that ^^
that is why I mentioned that the wig would need straightening, with the warm water method...that particular wig is good for styling, otherwise I wouldn't mention it..XD
but if you find something else then great ... :3
Unread 05-23-2006, 10:04 PM   #9
Hanabishi
Dani

Oh! Forgive me, I went right over the straightening part! ^^;;
Unread 05-23-2006, 10:18 PM   #10
Tifa Lin
Lin Lin-Chan

Hmm...*stares at my Tifa materials*

Twill might work...my Tifa costume has is....it it's fairly light-weight and comfortable...
Tifa Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2006, 05:54 PM   #11
xdirengreyxdiex

Quote:
Oh! Forgive me, I went right over the straightening part! ^^;;
'Tis okay ^^
Unread 05-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #12
Hanabishi
Dani

Huh...maybe I'll go look at some samples ^_^ Thanks for the suggestion : 3
Unread 06-03-2006, 11:46 PM   #13
Hanabishi
Dani

Hm...I was wondering something about Allen's coat. I've seen people cosplay him and their exorcist coats are either made of a twill like fabric, or a leather/pleather. Which do you think would work better? I'm looking at a picture of the leather version and it looks great, and then I'm looking at the twill/etc material version and that also looks great. I'm not sure which direction to go with it x_x;;
Unread 06-04-2006, 12:57 AM   #14
Prof Farnsworth
Renegade Time Lord

Quote:
Hm...I was wondering something about Allen's coat. I've seen people cosplay him and their exorcist coats are either made of a twill like fabric, or a leather/pleather. Which do you think would work better? I'm looking at a picture of the leather version and it looks great, and then I'm looking at the twill/etc material version and that also looks great. I'm not sure which direction to go with it x_x;;
heh, well I'd avoid pleather. I doubt his coat is made of it anyway and it's extremely uncomfortable. Think of how a baked potato or a fish grilled in a bag feel.

I found the perfect material for Seras's jacket and I'd recommend it here as it should work well. Gabardine, but none of the crappy polyester ones, go for rayon, preferably 100% rayon. At most places it'll only cost you about $4-5 a yard too.

If you go for twill (which is ordinarily thinner than gabardine) I suggest something rayon, tencel (basically the same as rayon and they both have a really nice drape), cotton, or linen (don't forget the iron with this one! lol A linen blend using some other cellulose fiber such as cotton or rayon will wrinkle less)

I found mine online here http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com and for almost every material you can order an 1/8th of a yard to sample.

Hope this helps ^_^

Unread 06-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #15
Rosieal
Magister Mundi Sum

I'd imagine that something like this would be made of gabardine, a thick material that was a cheaper substitute for wool and was used a lot on the 1940s. I don't suggest pleather/leather at all.
Rosieal is offline   Reply With Quote