Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 05-26-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
KatsuyaTsubasa
Foam Alchemist

Vinyl Over Foam Tutorial

New Tutorial Coming Soon

in the mean time look at Pilot's Vinyl and Foam tut
http://z4.invisionfree.com/transcost...?showtopic=760

Last edited by KatsuyaTsubasa : 02-02-2011 at 06:41 AM.
KatsuyaTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2006, 12:25 AM   #2
Rydain

Great job! I've been interested in vinyl over foam, but I'm paranoid of doofing up the gluing process and having to start the piece over completely. My main worry is laminating items that are too steeply curved to be covered with a contiguous piece of vinyl. From what I've seen on Japanese mech builders' sites, you have to remove the fabric backing of the vinyl to get it to stretch further (I'm not sure how to do that - I think it involves nail polish remover - and I'd worry about tearing the resultant thin fabric), or you cut a piece of vinyl that has darts similar to those in your armor pattern (and those seem tricky to glue perfectly in place in one shot). Have you dealt with any such pieces yet?

Thanks for providing your foam source, too. 2A Volara has worked pretty well for me thus far, and it's cheap, but it isn't quite as godly as that super-dense awesome stuff. For one thing, you can't carve it. 6A Volara is reportedly super-dense and awesome (and it might be the same foam that you're using), but I hadn't been able to find any sources for it.
Rydain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 01:23 AM   #3
KatsuyaTsubasa
Foam Alchemist

Thank you for commenting.
Ah yes regarding the curved armor. use 4-way stretch vinyl and instead of letting it dry for 20 min let it dry for 5-10 (so it doesn't stick wit wrinkles >.<). It is possible to remove the backing with acetone but that's only for a certain material in Japan that has no stretch at all. I've tried with some normal vinyl but alas it didn't work

As for the foam, I love that stuff. The type that the Japanese cosplayers use might be a bit more dense but I talk to them on a frequent basis and they said it was very close the 6mm stuff can carve nicely the technique is kind of hard to perfect but once you do it's easy. 3mm on the other hand is pretty hard to carve but you can just cut it at an angle and it'll be fine
Unread 05-27-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
Unknowbie
Unregistered User!

Rydain, how do you think Volara is going to work compared to this new stuff? I ordered a sample of Volara from the same site you did, and ive been waiting to get a piece and see how it works, so far for all my stuff i have been using Camping Mat foam for all my projects, but would love to see what else is out there to be used.

Winged Sephiroth, very cool! thanks for the resource links, i will definatly be trying this out! When you did your tutorial, what thickness of foam did you use?
Unknowbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
kyandi-chan
Magical Girl K

This is so very helpful, because I've been doing research, and you've answered some of my questions about where to get foam from, as well ^^

I was at the hardware store the other day and saw that they have a new non-flammable (less toxic?) version of the Weldwood contact cement...I have yet to try it, but maybe it works just the same?
kyandi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
Rydain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknowbie
Rydain, how do you think Volara is going to work compared to this new stuff? I ordered a sample of Volara from the same site you did, and ive been waiting to get a piece and see how it works, so far for all my stuff i have been using Camping Mat foam for all my projects, but would love to see what else is out there to be used.
I've used camping mat for the original version of my current armor project, and the 2A Volara I have is essentially the same thing. It's easy to cut and heat shape and paint with acrylics, but it's too sproingy and light to carve. I haven't tried laminating it with vinyl yet, but it seems to be pretty chemically resistant, so I doubt that Weldwood would dissolve it. It can be tightly taped temporarily with masking tape as long as you're reasonably careful about pulling the tape off when you're done, which really helped me glue darts together neatly without the help of contact cement. (I'm about to try leaving the front side taped and squidging in E-6000 from the back side, which should give me the neatest results possible.)

The one Volara annoyance I've noticed is that heat-shaped 2A Volara does tend to flatten out when gessoed because the "pull" of drying gesso overwhelms the curve in the material, and I've had gessoed pieces flatten in storage. The denser material might not have this problem.
Unread 05-27-2006, 06:23 PM   #7
KatsuyaTsubasa
Foam Alchemist

Quote:
I was at the hardware store the other day and saw that they have a new non-flammable (less toxic?) version of the Weldwood contact cement...I have yet to try it, but maybe it works just the same?
hmm I haven't tried it yet but if you want to go right ahead

Quote:
When you did your tutorial, what thickness of foam did you use?
1/4" (6mm)
Unread 05-27-2006, 10:17 PM   #8
Unknowbie
Unregistered User!

Hmm was looking at the cost of that foam. Is it that much better than camping mat foam? What would be the pros and cons? Just asking from a cost perspective... that foam you are using is 32 dollars (not including shipping) for a 5'x3' square, yet camping mat foam (from army surplus ) is like 9 dollars for a 6' x 2' piece.
Unread 05-27-2006, 11:39 PM   #9
KatsuyaTsubasa
Foam Alchemist

I edited my first post to answer your question.
No you do not have to use the foam I use. You can use whatever you want. I just posted a link to the stuff I use if you want to use it.
Unread 05-28-2006, 12:07 AM   #10
Unknowbie
Unregistered User!

LOL i know i dont have to use that foam as ive made everything so far out of camping mat foam.

That wasnt the point of my question to ask if i HAD to use that foam......

I was asking if anyone else such as Rydain or anyone else (such as yourself or other readers) had used the two types of materials and could compare/contrast the two and tell me if it is worth spending an extra 23 dollars to get this new type of foam.
Unread 05-28-2006, 12:16 AM   #11
KatsuyaTsubasa
Foam Alchemist

Ah ok, sadly I don't really know the difference between this and volara. I know this has a nice density, can cut cleanly, the edge can be shaved, glues easily, heatforms, and has a smooth surface when the vinyl is pasted. That's pretty much everything I know about it lol

It is very expensive though. The supply I have now was a Christmas present XD

Last edited by KatsuyaTsubasa : 05-28-2006 at 12:19 AM.
Unread 05-28-2006, 01:47 AM   #12
Rydain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknowbie
I was asking if anyone else such as Rydain or anyone else (such as yourself or other readers) had used the two types of materials and could compare/contrast the two and tell me if it is worth spending an extra 23 dollars to get this new type of foam.
As mentioned, if you will need to carve the foam, you'll have to go with the expensive stuff. For any other project, since 2A Volara is cheap ($3.59 per lineal 60" wide foot at foambymail.com) and useful (if you keep some around, you'll find something to do with it eventually - it's like craft foam in that regard), I would say try it or camping mat first and spring for the super-dense foam if you find that the cheaper stuff isn't working well. For instance, you may have trouble cutting out your pieces precisely. The expensive foam seems to be much easier to cut with a mat knife (which doesn't always work so well on 2A Volara). Volara cuts cleanly with good quality scissors, but it is difficult to cut out a tricky piece with scissors heavy enough to cut the material. (I learned the hard way that 1/8" Volara is not the best choice for detailed embellishments.)

I wish I could give you a comparison from personal experience, but this is all I can tell you until I buy some of the fancy foam for myself. I hope it will at least give you an idea.
Unread 05-28-2006, 07:52 AM   #13
Unknowbie
Unregistered User!

Thanks Rydain, camping mat foam sounds verry similar in its properties to volara. I requested a sample of Volara in the mail last week and when it comes in, i will give a comparision of the volara to the mat foam I have yet to find something i couldnt make out of the camping mat foam, though getting that cleaner cut with the EV45 stuff sounds nice I still havent decided if this is going to work better than using Ameythst Angel's method, because i want to give it a hard surface (seems like it would be more durable?)
Unread 05-29-2006, 05:37 PM   #14
KatsuyaTsubasa
Foam Alchemist

Go with the LD50 it's denser and it's cheaper Ameythst Angel's method is definatly better if you want a hard surface
Unread 05-30-2006, 03:01 PM   #15
Unknowbie
Unregistered User!

I got a chunk of Volara in the mail today, and just playing around with it, it seems to be almost the same as camping mat foam, with just a little of the whole "bounce back to original shape when compressed" feature foam has. I have ordered samples of this new foam that Sephiroth suggests, so ill post a bit after i get the samples

The volara seems to be a tad cheaper than the camping mat foam, but with shipping its a lot less of a deal. Costs me $10 to ship 4 feet of it to my house.