Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-04-2002, 12:36 AM   #1
NeoDrifter

Lightbulb Make my own convention........good idea?

I'm thinking of buying or renting property and making my own convention....is it a good idea? Because I was gonna let the people who are gonna come make it into what they want
NeoDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2002, 01:12 AM   #2
Jinx
Making a Comeback?

Isn't that kinda what Otakon is?

It's sounds a little iffy...

Unread 08-04-2002, 01:26 AM   #3
NeoDrifter

hmm well Otakon is good, but still there are a few flaws in security. I'd gladly mention then, but what fun would that be? When you can see for yourself, but if you want to know then ask me. Also I just thought of this as an idea ya know, probably one of the reasons how otakon got started
Unread 08-04-2002, 01:36 AM   #4
Yggdrasil Pie
WRYYYYYYY

Making your own convention...? That's interesting...But I'm just wondering...it would probably be very expensive wouldn't it?
Unread 08-04-2002, 01:41 AM   #5
NeoDrifter

well I would think so, so this project won't lift off until maybe a year or so........buy some government seized property you know? For a cheap price, then turn it into a convention center....and wallah do some adjustments along the way and such
Unread 08-04-2002, 07:51 AM   #6
scandia
Overachiever

It would be very hard to start one on your own. I know that Tako Con got canceled due to booking conflicts (the hotel screwed up).

You would have to find a location and rent it (you need money), find anime to show, get dealers to come and sell their stuff, and make up some panels and workshops. And those are the easier aspects. I think the toughest ones would be finding guests.
Unread 08-04-2002, 09:24 AM   #7
makio
resident slacker

Cool

I don't think you'd have to go as far as booking your own area at a local convention center to host any type of event. You could actually just ask a local recreational facility (like a park, nature trail, etc) or even a local school for some kind of 'small, civil event' for cosplay means. A lot of cosplay groups, especially those here in Florida, do that all the time. It's worth a shot!

"Then what am I supposed to believe in? What am I going to leave behind when I'm through?"
-Raiden, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
`````
makio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2002, 12:41 PM   #8
NeoDrifter

well, the anime club I go to wants to do a community thing like you suggested MakioTwist and I want something like otakon. This plan won't be accomplished until maybe when I graduate High School (2005) but I'm sure I can get a few friends as sponsors and as for booking a guest, I can try but no gaurantees (sorry) but I know a few dealers that can come and bring some other stores with them too
Unread 08-04-2002, 01:03 PM   #9
NeoDrifter

if this can work then I'm gonna be one happy customer, still gotta save up my money too
Unread 08-04-2002, 01:21 PM   #10
Ranma Saotome
DeShawn Pilgrim

A bunch of my friends thought about doing a DDR convention.
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/anime-jam-session/id280235645
Anime Jam Session on the VOG Network, LIVE! Tuesdays @ 9:30PM EST: www.VOGNetwork.com!
2014 Convention Schedule: Magfest 8.5, AAC, DerpyCon

Ranma Saotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2002, 02:54 PM   #11
Mei Lan Chang
Its a "shoulder massager"

Well, if it was cheap...and it looked like it was going to be an event that lots of other cosplayers are going to (meaning lots of publicity, a promise no one is going to mug me as soon as I get there and other stuff like that) I would consider it. Most of the time I don't go to cons because I am dirt poor, so you would have to pull off a really good looking con, or be very close.
Unread 08-04-2002, 10:48 PM   #12
Cynthia

Find someone else in the industry who's run a con before-trust me it's no way shape or form as easy as it may sound. My dad's friend runs a sci-fi con-which is this weekend to be precise-and practically there entire life revolves around it. It's that encompassing.

Also, if you don't know anyone in the anime industry then it makes it even harder-because dealers don't want to go to a con where there won't be any customers.

Then, you have to find guests, which means mega dollar signs. Giles from Buffy reportedly wanted $20 gees just for one con schedualing-which doesn't include transportation, housing, and spending money.

There's also renting a facility to house your con-which most of the time the facility owners (hotels especially) can cancel your reservation at a moments notice. The Hilton in New Orleans actually did this to Big Easy Con a few years ago 3 months before the con was to start, and because the con's manager was from Ohio, he simply quit doing the con down here to save him the trouble of another such incident.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot to mention. You'll need staff and volunteers for your con. Which means you'll have to screen hundreds of people before you can really even begin the above.

Now, we have PROMOTION. If it wasn't enough you have to try and convince people why your con is soooo spectacular and why people should dump tons of money there. Because for a $40 3 day pass people want to know their getting their money's worth.

In short, I don't want to be the sour apple of the bunch, but I'm speaking the plain truth-I don't want anyone to get into something and then realize that it wasn't what they'd thought it'd be and can't bail themselves out. And, most certainly, if you're going to actually do this, wait until after college or atleast 2 yrs. after high school-trust me you'll want the perspective.
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2002, 10:51 PM   #13
NeoDrifter

hmm so battle plan: start off small with help and work my way up as I gain experience and money, good enough for a rookie?
Unread 08-04-2002, 11:54 PM   #14
Ringo
紙の翼

HarleyQuinn has definatly got it right. Putting on conventions are a TON of work, it's like having another full time job on top of anything else you might be doing. Promotion, connections (to those in the biz) and logisitcs are key. I would suggest voluntering or getting on staff at a convention near you and see how things are run behind the scenes. If you are the head of a convention you HAVE TO KNOW EVERY DETAIL, from guests to video programming, to catering costs (some hotels require it), why becuse it's you job. Putting on a convention also costs a lot of $$, the convention I work for was in debt for many years, money is still tight even though we are growing. Please get some experiance, talk to other con chairs they'll tell what it's like, just know what your getting yourself into. ^_^
Unread 08-05-2002, 12:00 AM   #15
NeoDrifter

hmm I guess so.....*sigh* need a pot of coffee to make alot of emails