Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 06-01-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

Color in b&w photos

I've been playing around a bit with adding color to some b&w photos in PSP. Still new at it and trying to keep a perfec tline, but here's what I got so far:

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...ell/color-bws/

Shinigami Photos
KaineMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-01-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

there is no doubt in my mind your best picture there is 0068-2. You just need to touch it up a little more. Partial color is a tough art to decide on. Mostly because you decide for the viewer how they are going to view the picture. You decide where the attention should be. Thats dangerous when its not done properly.

In pictures of individual people, coloring the entire individual is tricky. You are almost redundant when you do this, because youre telling the viewer to view the natural subject of the photo. Its not nearly as punchy as being more specific about where you want the viewers attention. In 00068-2, you till the viewer, IGNORE this attractive young girl, you tell the viewer, SHE is NOT interesting, and you tell the viewer, here LOOK, look at this clothing.

Furthermore, colorizing multiple colors can be dangerous, because you offer clutter to a style that is meant to simplify a viewer's job at taking in your image.

In aeris-bw1, you do a good job again. The reason I am not AS fond of it, is because that red is a very strong color, and there is a LOT of it. What I think is happening here is that you are pulling attention to that dress, but because it pulls so much of the image to the viewer, the viewer remains a little less focused, and their eyes may drift to the highlights to her left. Perhaps using a red filter to convert to b&w would really darken the overall tone of the picture, and both lighten and soften her skin, leading the viewer's eyes back to the dress by way of her nicely posed arms.

You could make 51-2 and 38-2 work for you, but the shots, again, have a vast amount of the area colorized, and you may find it easier to keep the viewer focused if you had a wider angle of view. (Make the subject smaller against the background... maybe just back up another 15 feet or 20 feet if thats a portrait lens. (more if its tele) The key is to limit how much youre giving to the viewer to focus on at once. Its kind of like this... Colorizing a b&w is delivering a message. Usually people tend to become more intent in listening if you whisper rather than shout. Same rules apply.

cidandceles doesnt really work for me too much. I think its the overall business of the scene. I cant hold on to anything there. For the record, dof shouldnt matter a whole lot in a partial colorization. You neednt direct the viewers attention with focus, if youre already doing it with color. (Not that there arent exceptions, BUT, just saying dont worry about it as much when youre planning on colorizing...)

I think you did a GREAT job for your first time trying this. You have the idea down, and youre doing a good job of making it all work! I cant wait to see more of this nature from you. kudos!

Bruce
staereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

thanks man, I had a feeling you'd be the first to post on this anyhow. ^^

Yeah I was playing around with it with some roses photos and got inspired once I learned how to do this in PSP. How do I apply the red filter then to darken it? I do like the feel of the cid&celes shots with the color and b&w though, but maybe its just me (and I'm Cid in those shots too). ^^

Here's the orginial inspiration:
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...IMG_0021-2.jpg

Shinigami Photos
Unread 06-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #4
staereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaineMaxwell
thanks man, I had a feeling you'd be the first to post on this anyhow. ^^

Yeah I was playing around with it with some roses photos and got inspired once I learned how to do this in PSP. How do I apply the red filter then to darken it? I do like the feel of the cid&celes shots with the color and b&w though, but maybe its just me (and I'm Cid in those shots too). ^^

Here's the orginial inspiration:
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...IMG_0021-2.jpg
Hmmm... Ill have to get back to you about using psp to convert using filters.... Im at work now, and I have gotten away from psp a little, and thus lost some of my know how there.....

Thats a great rose. Darken that sky, and brighten the flower slightly, and add a lot of contrast. Thats a perfect example of not overwhelming your viewer, while capturing the focus where you want it.... Fantastic!!!

Bruce
Unread 06-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
TomodachiFriend
Pick The Chair!

Great job! I'm happy to see people going for something else beside Photoshop even if that's what I use. I just don't like the fake DOF effect (another topic by itself) on one of them. You're already using colors to bring attention to the couple; you can lose the blur.
TomodachiFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
SolarTempest
.: Photographer :.

I agree with TomodachiFriend as well on "bw-colorcidandceles2.jpg". It's just a little "too" much. I see why you did it though - the scene is pretty cluttered.

Another picture tweak that might be worth a shot would be burning or darkening the brighter areas in the shots to make the colour stand out even more. I like dark shots screaming with colour, but that's just me =P

I find psp to be great for drawing and doing pixel art!

flickr.com/photos/solartempest
Facebook: solartempestphotography
-Email me for shoots!

:2014 Planned Conventions:
Katsucon, Con-G, MTAC, Colossal Con, Otakuthon, FanExpo, Youmacon,
SolarTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2006, 05:01 PM   #7
staereo

lol.. i love hearing echos in these forums... shows ppl are on the same wavelength...

bruce
Unread 06-01-2006, 07:14 PM   #8
Rosieal
Magister Mundi Sum

Forgive me if this sounds like a newbie... but what do you use to create this effect?
Rosieal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2006, 07:16 PM   #9
staereo

I use photoshop. You desturate the image, then use the history tool on the step before you desaturated to return color to before the desaturation.

Use layers as you choose.

Bruce
Unread 06-01-2006, 08:13 PM   #10
Rosieal
Magister Mundi Sum

Thanks a lot! I shall try that. ^_^
Rosieal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2006, 11:00 PM   #11
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

I believe you can create a black and white version of an image (through filters) and put it into a layer. Put this layer on top of the color one and then make certain parts of that layer transparent, so the color shows up underneath.

There is a photographer who is known to have originated this technique. The name eludes me at the moment.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2006, 11:28 PM   #12
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Forgive me if this sounds like a newbie... but what do you use to create this effect?
For PSP you copy the image and greyscale it, then copy the greyscale into a new laye rover the orginial (or a copy). Use the eraser tool and have fun!

Shinigami Photos
Unread 06-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #13
Zalan

Depending on your program, it can be very easy to do. In photoshop, I open the photo twice, make one greyscale, copy it on top of the other photo as a layer then erase/make transparent what I want to be in color, I haven't done it with people as of yet, but let me dig around a minute on my hdd and post a link to a photo I worked on.. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Msunflower.jpg originally it was a yellow sunflower, all said that took about hmm 30 minutes or so iirc.
Zalan is offline   Reply With Quote