Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-01-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
fuzzydude

Paper Mache Anbu Mask

I'm thinking of making (not buying) an anbu mask out of paper mache (since that's the easiest material to get hold of). But I can't figure out how to get started. Would I need to put the paper mache, on like, a wig model?
fuzzydude is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-01-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
DalaiLiam
Fauxtographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzydude
I'm thinking of making (not buying) an anbu mask out of paper mache (since that's the easiest material to get hold of). But I can't figure out how to get started. Would I need to put the paper mache, on like, a wig model?
Your best bet would be to build a clay or play-doh! model/mold of the mask and then paper machet over that.
Unread 06-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
fuzzydude

I've heard you can use part of a milk bottle. . . Do you think that will work?
fuzzydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2006, 07:37 AM   #4
anbu_sasuke92
Chavhunter X

i remember there being a tutorial somewhere where they mentioned a milk bottle but i cant remember where sorry. i made a paper mache one and its not too bad i, started of with cardboard i cut out the outline of my face but with an extra inch on each side, i cut a line from the bottom center goin up to the centre of the shape,i then folded the 2 side where its cut tofether so they are overlaping,this should give you an idea of the main shape. from then i gave it about 3 layers of papaer mache (waiting till each one dried before starting the next)once they were done i put bulks of newspaper on the forehead and around the mouth and cheeks to give it more of a snout.i celetaped them down,if you do this use masking tape or something like it,the papaer mache doesnt stick on celetape to well.i done 3 layers on top of the newspaper (leaving to dry in between layers),i then ot some white paint and paint the front in 3 think layers to try and cover up any bumps from the paper mache, i then painted on my red pattern and nose/mouth,once they were dry i painted the inside with 2 layers if white paint.there you have it an anbu mask. lol this might be a little confusing as i dont have any pics yet(i finished it yesterday) i will post pics asap
hope this helped

ANYONE HER LIVE IN KENT,UK?
IF SO PM ME,I MUST MEET SOME KENT COSPLAYERS
xxx
anbu_sasuke92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2006, 10:13 AM   #5
Beryl
I did it all for you

What you could do is find one of those plain, white plastic masks and use paper mache pulp (or clay) to build up the features of the Anbu Mask. Not sure how well it'd stick to the mask, but even if it didn't, it'd have the same shape.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
Okami Yokai
Wanderer

made from a hockey"jason"mask i trimmed down. cardboard, masking tape, paper mache'(glue, water, news paper.), spray on primer, blue acrylic paint, a paint brush, fine grain sand paper, and crystal clear enamel.

step1:decide on animal( i chose my favorite animal, wolves.)
step2:trim down hockey mask using scissors.
step3:use masking tape to tap from tip of mask nose-bottom of mask.
step4:covered the circular eyes with making tape then cut out the desired shape for eyes.
step5: tracing the top rim of the mask onto cardboard, i drew and cut out trangular ears, then taped them tightly onto the mask.
step6: using white cloth make loops on the rim of the inside of the mask, so you may add elastic later.
step7: paper mache' everything, take your time, leave to bubbles or lumps.then set to dry.
step8: spray on 10 light coats of primer, on the inside and outside of the mask. be thorough!
step9:use the sand paper and lighly sand the primed mask once dry.
step10: using the color of your choice, paint on your design.
step11:spray on 3-5 light coats on crytal clear enamel.
step12:attach elastic through the loops you put on earlier.
step13:wear proudly!
Okami Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
ArpegiusWolf
FullFace cosplayer

I made an ANBU mask in school. What I did was got my hands on one of thoes foam heads and began to put Paper Mache over it. I mus emphasize, make sure you put something over the foam so you can take the mask off when its done...I didn't...so I ended up mutilating the foam head just to get the damn thing off...
I used thick cardstock to build up the nose and eyebrows as well as building out the ears. I used mostly newspaper for the bulk of the mask and covered the outside of it with white paper towls, since I was short on time. The markings were drawn with sharpies and colored with markers...and the whole thing was then coated with enamel and the eyes were covered with thin black material...I'm very proud of it

Left side
right side
Its suposed to be a wolf...the nose is too short and the ears are too pointy, lol
Unread 10-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
anbu_sasuke92
Chavhunter X

wow that looks so cool

ANYONE HER LIVE IN KENT,UK?
IF SO PM ME,I MUST MEET SOME KENT COSPLAYERS
xxx
anbu_sasuke92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
Shieny
Ebil Ninja of D00M

I used Paper Mache and a ballon. xD
Kinda funny when you think about it.. (air head.....-offended- )
I made it at school, as well...with the help from a teacher.

But hey, it works. You just have to take care of it 'cause it's very fragile....unless you make loads of layers.
I painted the colors on my mask, it was a pain to get it perfect, but it worked.
I hope I helped, even a little.
Unread 10-12-2006, 08:54 PM   #10
ArpegiusWolf
FullFace cosplayer

My mask is actually quite sturdy...I know this because I've dropped it and hit people with it, lol.
It was in my high school's art show where some guy from one of the art schools in Philladelphia said that it was museum quality.
I was like 'ho-shit, rly? I'll sell it to ya for fifty bucks!'

The only thing I forgot on the mask was some sort of air vent...can't keep it over my face for too long, lol
Unread 10-12-2006, 10:22 PM   #11
LaPetiteSalope
I approve.

I made mine (photos in my gallery) out of paper mache and paperclay. I just used a wig head as a base. I covered the dried paper mache with paperclay, sanded it, painted it, and then went over that with a protective glossy glaze. People kept asking me if I bought my mask O_O;;
LaPetiteSalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2006, 11:40 PM   #12
AznTranquility
Procrastinator

I'm making mine at the moment.

I'll post pics of how and stuff later XD

My technique was to use the milk gallon, which gave a nice anbu shape. Tin foil, paper mache (1flour + 2water), masking tape, and a sharpie to draw on top of that.

THe milk gallon container thing is cool cuz it's pretty sturdier than the balloon technique...but chyeah have to find out don't i?
AznTranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #13
Kekori
A Dreamer With Dreams!

I was wondering if anyone has considered using drywall spackling (clay) over the mask, to make it smoother. If you did, did it work, or did it just look more crappy? Because I am really worried that after the paper mache was dried, that I would see ton of paper lines after being painted.
Unread 11-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #14
Beryl
I did it all for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekori
I was wondering if anyone has considered using drywall spackling (clay) over the mask, to make it smoother. If you did, did it work, or did it just look more crappy? Because I am really worried that after the paper mache was dried, that I would see ton of paper lines after being painted.
If you sand the paper mache lightly with a very fine sandpaper, it should help. Additionally, I hear that using tissue paper may be less likely to leave lines. The latter has not been tested, AFAIK.

Other common smoothers include white glue, wood glue, gesso, and bondo, all of which can be sanded and painted to achieve glassy smoothness.

Also, something to remember with paper mache- NEVER EVER USE SCISSORS. Always tear your paper on all sides. The tears allow the paper to lie flat, and the hanging fibers at each edge will more readily grip to whatever you're covering. Doing this will help with the paper lines, too.

And always remember to follow this handy guide when posting.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 09:51 PM   #15
itachi101

I here you brother. LOL
itachi101 is offline   Reply With Quote