Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Unread 07-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #16
grandis
Buried Alive in Gold Trim

At first, I used Grandis to keep my professional self separate from my cosplay self, especially when I was a high school teacher, and the hobby might look a little iffy to people. (conservative parents? Not sure who I mean there)

Since becoming a college prof, I sort of use my real name and my stage name interchangeably. My boss thinks that my hobby is kewl, but the Japanese people I do business with wouldn't! Still, it's easy for them to go look me up and see that I do this hobby if they want to, especially online, so I guess I'm not all that secret.

You may well want to think about the Japanese anonymity factor when you head for Worldcon 2007. In Japan, this thing we do is a fetish. Really.

Catherine

Beauxbatons Original Design from Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire: 30 percent
Sparklypoo Hogwarts Uniform from Harry Potter Universe: 20 percent
Spoor from Crest of Stars: 0 percent
grandis is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2006, 09:30 PM   #17
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I've been using online aliases since I first got online back in the days of Compuserve; it's just a privacy thing. And since the cosplay community is overwhelmingly online, it's a natural extension for most of us. It's not cosplay specific; I'm Sarcasm-hime everywhere else too, pretty much.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2006, 10:17 AM   #18
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

I've also been using aliases online since my first online account many years ago. I've used many through the years but never concidered using one at anime conventions until I had a stalker at Otakon last year who kept trying to read my badge but could read my handwriting fortunantly. After that point I have been using RaDragon76 as my cosplay handle on badges and my first name only for masquarade/award purposes since my last name is not a common one. I know conventions need to have real name information from you but, for security sake, I prefer that the info goes no farther than registration.
Unread 01-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #19
keri1966

I mostly use my real first name, but sometimes use my pagan name- which is just the old Irish spelling of my first name. My coworkers know all about my costuming and being an anime/manga fan. I'm an assistant librarian at a public library and we have all kinds of geeks working here. . My desk is decorated with pictures of my favorite fictional couples from anime, manga, American superhero comics, Sci-fi and Fantasy TV shows and movies. Coworkers know me as an "expert" on Japanese history and culture (subjects I've been facinated with since I was around 7 or 8 years old- I've read most of the classical Japanese lit and poetry that has been translated into English and read some of the poetry in the original Japanese. (I have some minimal reading ability in Japanese- 100+ kanji.) I'm also well versed on costume history, both the west and Japan, with some knowledge of ancient Egyptian and Chinese as well. My coworkers have seen pictures of my costumes, even seen me sew on parts of costumes during lunch breaks.

Last edited by keri1966 : 01-23-2007 at 12:11 PM.
keri1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #20
csueshambaugh
C Sue

I've never seen a need to hide my real name because of my hobbies. When I started out, both costuming and internetting, it was during the "wild wild west" days of the internet in the late 70s and early 80s. Pretty much the only person who used an online alias that point was Moriarty, the comic book reviews guy. (That should take SOME of you way, way back.

My name has been associated with my Japanese translations since the early 80s, and for that reason I have more incentive to keep using it at cons and online. "Oh, yeah! That costumer chick who translates!" I get that a lot. Whether you think my fan translating activities made me famous or merely notorious, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

I'm also a Big Girl who can take care of herself, online and off. I once had a real (in-person, on-campus) stalker, and believe me, there's nothing about online "stalking" that even vaguely resembles it. (People online can't hit you.) I'm not even sure what the big deal is about getting an email or two that you don't want, or having somebody ogle pictures that somebody else put online *with your permission.* Learning to bitch-slap people like that is an important life skill, especially for women.

- C Sue Shambaugh
See? Look! A real name!!
csueshambaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2007, 02:49 AM   #21
Neo_Serenity
Queen of the Cosmos

Wow, coming into this thread awhile after it started. But I'll answer too, just because.

I feel Karisu summed up best (and yes, I call her by her real name now too, because I feel I know her well enough to do so, but usually only in private conversation) ^^ , but here's my eleven cents worth:

When I first joined cosplay.com, I picked a name (which happens to be an anime related name because I felt kind of like I was supposed to) because everyone else had an alias too. It just seemed like what you did, and therefore, I did it too.

Now I use it as a measure of privacy between myself and those who don't know me. Someone mentioned suprise at needed this measure, but the average age of the people on this site (and in the anime cosplay fandom in general) are much younger than the average sci-fi goer. (I fit into the later catagory, but don't tell anyone) With that lower age level comes a lower maturity level (unfortunately), and as Karisu mentioned, things get a little hairy at times with silly highschool vendettas, arguements, etc. that it's best the two people (or more) involved, really know as little about the other as possible for safety reasons. Amazingly enough, people do stalk in the community, and no one wants to be at the recieving end.

I've recently started using my first name only for masquerade competitions. (I usually check with my group and we make a decision whether to go with first names or aliases). Probably because I've started to feel a little silly giving my psuedonym all the time. Not sure why I feel that way, but that's beside the point.

Lastly, (hello long post - thanks for bearing with me) over the weekend, there was a NY Times article that came out that had interviews of some cosplayers at Yaoi Con from last October. The article gave first and last names, ages, and even cities of residence along with job descriptions for most of the people they mentioned in the article itself. More than one of the people mentioned was very upset that so much personal information was given out, and one wondered why the psuedonym she had specifically given them to use was well, not used, and her personal information given out instead. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding between the interviewer and the cosplayers. Hard to say. However, the whole article was rather ridiculous and didn't paint cosplayers in the best light. Of course, that's completely another subject. So I'll stop now! : )

Hall Cosplay Department Manager - Anime Los Angeles : www.animelosangeles.org
Neo_Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #22
Buddycat
Assistant ICG Archivist

It's unfortunate one has to resort to aliases. I suppose it's a sign of the times we live in with the ease of technology to find out more about people. But I also think just because the cosplay community is so big, there is a larger number of immature creeps in keeping with a normal percentage in any population. Or am I mistaken?

https://www.youtube.com/user/ICGArchives

Also visit the International Costumers Gallery: http://www.costume.org/gallery2/main.php
Buddycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #23
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Personally, and I'm probably re-etterating something that's been said a million times, but I go by my C.com handle (or rather, a nickname derived from it) at anime conventions. I think it's largely a matter of preference and privacy.

Now, I haven't been to Costume Con (yet. It's not near me until 09, apparently, ^.^), but I'm absolutely sure that when I go, I'll use my actual name. It's just easier for me to go up to folks at something like Otakon or the like and introduce myself as Runi-chan than to explain how to pronounce/spell/whatever my actual name.

Anime conventions also attract a far younger crowd than something like a multi-track convention would, so there's a tendency, at least for me, to be more concerned about who has my name/info. Besides, folks can always track you down on the 'net and..well. I'd rather not have that happen.

The younger crowd also means more of a tendency to go by a nickname. There's more of a 'this is so fun I'll be doing it for a little while and then stopping later" phase vibe from the 'cosplay' that folks pull off at anime conventions. The teen/preteen audience has skyrocketed in size, which means there's less of a feeling of genuine love for making the costumes as there is for the costumes just being fun to wear around.
Just...sort of a less professional feeling all around, save when you go and participate in the Hall Contests/Masquerades.

I think, too, that some of the folks who just start out take a look at you folks who have been at this for...a long time, (^.^)
and either are psyched that if they work hard, one day they might be able to make things like that, or turn the other way and run.
(And I think the younger teens have this thing about adults over 25 wearing costumes around.)

I've always loved drama and stage, so why not make costumes? I've made mostly anime based stuff for the past three years, but as I grow older and my skills develop, I feel more confident about working on historical or sci-fi outfits.
Some 'cosplayers' really are just that; focused soley on costuming from anime/asian videogames/manga/etc.

It is a sad thing that we assume we have to go by nicknames because the world isn't safe to even give out your name freely. But it happens.
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #24
wyldbratling

My reasons were a little diferent then everyone else seems to have. Being on the outside of social groups, the fringe, I didn't have a whole lot of friends, and when going to a con at 9 or 10 or what have you and finding out that I, who had never had one, could chose a nick name, because that was oh so cool, did so. My badge name became the name everyone knew me as. Then when people wanted to know my real name, being a very mature 13, I thought it was so much fun to not tell them and make people call me by my nick name.

Later I started RolePlaying online, and thats when the security and privacy issues started to come up. Particularly when doing intimate rp online, their are people out there who can't seperate game from reality. So I used a fake name (KIT) if people instisted on using something other then my AOL screen name.

For a lot of people it also just flows from that, we have screen names from back in the AOL days or nicks for our online accounts, and this is the name people we meet online assosiate with us because they see it and adress it on a regular basis.

I did start using my real name again when I was running my business, though most peoples still called me Kit, and still do. People who knew me 10 years ago call me Wolf.

Sometimes the name changes when we change. Now that I'm in AZ, I'll probably start putting Wyld on my badge, the bratling part can stay off.. to many easy jokes. LOL

Future Projects:
Steampunk/Victorian Goth dress - Costume Con '08
Generic Pirate Wench # 1 - Anime Expo '08
WoW Naga
BT ./hack
Little Miss Muffit & Spider
Butterfly Court
Firebird
wyldbratling is offline   Reply With Quote