Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 08-04-2002, 04:35 PM   #1
lulu

Plastic Sword???

Im thinking as going as Alexiel to a future con and I wanted to make her sword...but Im not sure how. Its clear so I was thinking plastic but Im not sure where Im gonna get a big sheet of plastic and how to cut it. Also I wouldnt know how to get it to have a more 3-D shape then just cutting it out of the pastic ie it will look flat not like a sword...If you have any ideas please let me know
thanx
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2002, 05:19 PM   #2
Nietsche
Have a SUPER good time!

Unfortunately i am still trying to make my Vyse Cutlasses and not having any luck with the cutting (I have a dremel tool)...you can get large sheets of transaprent perspex from Home Supply depots..but I haven't found a cheap way of cutting it neatly (I need smooth curves for my cutlass)..once i have mastered my dremel multi tool..then we shall conquer the perspex world!

Some small info on pandas- Eats, shoots and leaves!
(this is an excellent book btw)
The difference a little punctuation makes!
Nietsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2002, 05:24 PM   #3
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

You could try Plexiglas (acrylic glass). It's lightweight and comes in all sorts of thicknesses. I would imagine it would be less. . .floppy than regular plastic. As for getting Plexiglas. . .maybe try a hardware store, or a local glazing company.

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2002, 05:32 PM   #4
lulu

Thanx Ill check in to that
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2002, 03:28 PM   #5
Quies
Insanity's Realm

If that doesn't work and you really want more of a 3d shape there's this stuff that you mix up that it a plasticy/glass ooking thing when it dries. you would have to make a mold for it, but you can also color how ever you want, which i think is a huge plus.
i don't know what it's call, sorry. i only remeber it because we use it to replace a peice of an antic lamp...and used the extra to incase fake cocroaches.
Unread 08-05-2002, 03:43 PM   #6
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

You should ask Elly at shinyclouds.com how she made hers, it was beautiful.
Unread 08-05-2002, 03:46 PM   #7
pookie-kun
neko-boy extraordinaire!

You can also check the fiberglassing thread ^^ I've heard that's a great way to make weapons and such.

Your daily dose of the reality that is my imagination.
pookie-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2002, 03:56 PM   #8
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> I've heard that's a great way to make weapons and such.

Alexiel's Nanatsuyasa is a glass sword, i.e. must be perfectly transparent and smooth. I don't think fiberglass will cut it...
Unread 08-06-2002, 01:42 AM   #9
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

Resin is what the person was trying to say but couldnt think of what the name of it was i believe. You can get it clear or white and you can get color chips that you can mix up with the resin and get colored resin. It's hard when it cures and is pretty durable. It's a 2 part mixture: Hardener and the resin it's self. Neither will dry out or harden by themselves they must be mixed. There's different types of resin and depending on the type is the actuall setting time with it. Which means the time it takes for it to begin to harden and for you to not be able to apply it or change the mold with it. What i would do is create a 3d non clear form of the sword you want. Get some good mold casting material and encase your 3d non clear sword in it then cut the mold in half. Make sure you clean out the inside of the mold and fill in any holes/cracks before you pour your resin and also make sure you grease up the walls of the mold with the appropriate agent otherwise your mold will not separate from the resin cast. once your mold is perfect and prepared to cast then you mix up your resin. Make sure you add equal parts of each or whatever ratio it says (normally it's 1 part resin to 1 part hardener) Then you mix it up for as long as it says. Generally until the resin is a solid even color. The resin and hardener are usually slightly different shades. Then you slowly and i mean slowly pour the resin into the mold. Make sure you gently tap the mold as well to help get rid of air bubbles (unless you want them in it) and wait til it's set the directions will tell you how long it takes. If you are using a wooden handle with a clear sword blade make sure you stick in the wooden handle at the appropriate time. If the resin says it begins to harden after 10 mins and cures completely after 2 hours I'd make sure i get that stick in close to the 10 mins being up and make sure you hold it in there good until the stick is permanently stuck in there and if you let go of the stick it doesnt fall over or sink into the mold further. Before separating your mold I'd recommend you leave it in the mold for 1-2 days just to be safe everything will cure correctly. Different temperatures and humidities will affect the curing process. Then once you are sure the mold is perfectly cured begin to break off the mold. you can try to gently separate the halves if you plan on reusing the mold again but it may be hard to do so. There are different types of resin out there so if you are casting something that's 6" or thicker make sure you get the type of resin made for thick castings. Also wear a respirator and cast in a VERY VERY VERY well ventilated room, mostlikely outdoors because the smell is VERY VERY strong and can be toxic if inhailed for long periods of time. And make sure you wear a pair of gloves as well you dont want any of the mixture getting on your skin. Long yellow kitchen dish gloves work as well as a long shirt and long pants and some cheap shoes you can toss if they get ruined. Make sure you wear clothes that you dont care if they get ruined.

Miaka no Baka
Miaka No Baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2002, 11:54 AM   #10
Alexiel
[love+hate] m y s e l f

Wow...o_O

That was a really useful post. Thank you.
Unread 08-06-2002, 04:01 PM   #11
Quies
Insanity's Realm

ya. resin is what i was thinking of.
Bravo for actually being able to explain things Maika.
Unread 08-06-2002, 04:16 PM   #12
Neon Genocide
Boy Band Reject

never though of using resin... thanks...

I put instant coffee in a microwave oven and almost went back in time.
Neon Genocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2002, 11:01 PM   #13
L to the 3rd
aka Scrawny Squall

fiberglass can be sanded smooth.
Unread 05-08-2007, 12:52 AM   #14
RainingWendy

Wow, where would one get resin?
RainingWendy is offline   Reply With Quote