Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 155 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-03-2006, 12:15 AM   #1
SasamiChan
DDR JunkieXD

How to look more Asian

I'm caucasian, but my next cosplay is of a Japanese singer=/ Do do I make my face look more Asian? I'm mostly concerned with the eyes, but the nose is an issue, too. Btw, the artist looks like she's wearing very little makeup in the PV. I'd like to stay as true as possible to her style, but I still need to look more Asian!>.< Thanks!

Unread 06-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
Mai Kirasaki
&amp;amp;quot; ^_^&amp;amp;quot;

Hi,

I am not sure about makeup for the nose but there is a thread already started dealing with eye makeup that might help.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=84044

Take care
Mai Kirasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
SasamiChan
DDR JunkieXD

I was confused about this person's thread, and so were a couple more people, as evidence by their replies o_0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitensha
I need to kill the 'cute couples cosplay' thing by not looking asian <_<;
She implies here that she's Asian, but does not wish to look Asian because she wants to not do a "cute couples cosplay" and yet...
Quote:
but for cuteness sake, how can I make my eyes look asian!?
...here she asks how to make her eyes look Asian. Confusing! So people are giving her advice both on how to look Asian, and how to look Caucasian o_0
Unread 06-06-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
xinababo
Enjoy your spaghetti.

As I've said in the other thread, if you don't have Asian facial features, then I don't believe you can ever look Asian unless you get plastic surgery. Here are some features I can list though. For Asian faces:

Eye brows are usually NOT close to the eyes. They are very high up
Noses are usually very round, maybe wide, maybe narrow, but they're round.
Faces are ovally or rounded at the bottom
Asian eyes do NOT always have to slant up. We just have more fat on our eyelids and the sockets hardly ever show at all.

You can take a look at my gallery in the "Xinabobina" section and observe the features on my face >>;

KORE TE DESTINYYYY~?! -Nobuta wo Produce <3
xinababo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2006, 04:35 PM   #5
misplaced
Make-up Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SasamiChan
I was confused about this person's thread, and so were a couple more people, as evidence by their replies o_0

She implies here that she's Asian, but does not wish to look Asian because she wants to not do a "cute couples cosplay" and yet...

...here she asks how to make her eyes look Asian. Confusing! So people are giving her advice both on how to look Asian, and how to look Caucasian o_0
Cheers, I agree! Well, either way, that thread is a good place to start.
misplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
Jitensha

Nonono >< I don't look Asian!!! My boyfriend is Japanese! I don't want to kill the appearance that we're both not Japanese when we are cosplaying as Japanese people!!! I wanted advice on how to look more asian!
Jitensha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
keikana
moi moi!

well, there's no simple way to make yourself look asian, unfortunately, but instead of trying to look asian in general, try to look like the character. Granted, with real Japanese idols it's going to be even harder to make yourself look like them, as opposed to a 2D character...
However, for my Kasugano Sakura costume, I found that having a darker eyecolor through the use of contacts (I naturally have grey-blue eyes, but popped in some dark brown contacts), straightened hair to give the illusion of thin-ness(since my hair is mega-thick), and makeup/tanning to give yourself sort of a creamy-tan complexion helps.

Here's me normally (uhm, ignore the dorky label):
http://www.clickitgirl.net/keikana/i.../blondehuh.gif

Here's me with some darkening:
http://www.just-a-dream.net/dcs-augu...-fighter02.jpg
http://www.clickitgirl.net/keikana/i...akura-2-01.jpg

I mean, it's obviously not a drastic change, but I hope it helps a little @3@;;
keikana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 06:17 PM   #8
misplaced
Make-up Artist

Quote:
Nonono >< I don't look Asian!!! My boyfriend is Japanese! I don't want to kill the appearance that we're both not Japanese when we are cosplaying as Japanese people!!! I wanted advice on how to look more asian!
Ohhhhh! That's a lot better :P As stated above, I agree completely. Being pale helps I find and to have brown eyes and perhaps straighter hair. Another thing I find that works well is a cat eye look.
misplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 02:56 AM   #9
LauraC
Dangerous Beauty

Do cat eyes! Line the top of your eyes and the bottom with a dark dark dark black eyeliner like MAC Cosmetics' Fluidline in Blacktrack.
LauraC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #10
AkiraOmega
Never Knows Best

umm i dont think you can change your ethnicity michael jackson tried and youve seen the end result
AkiraOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 01:56 PM   #11
PinqFuu
Masochist Perfectionist

To help with the eyes, study the way they put makeup on Lucy Lui. I've found this really helpful because Asian superstars try not to look so asian while american make up artists try to make Lucy Lui super asian looking- which is really weird, but great haha!

So cat eyes are a starting point. Like one person said, asians tend to have a higher eyebrow which is almost light in appearance, or thinned etc.

Asians also have higher cheekbones- I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. So what you can do, is use a darker blush to shade higher on your cheeks, and then a lighter blush to bring the apples of the cheeks higher as well. This is hard to explain, but can be done- err.

They also have lighter lip color and smaller sized lips. Go over your lips with your concealer from corner to corner blending in so that it matches your skin tone. Then take a lip liner and mark a smaller lip compared to yours. Not too small so everyone doesn't notice, but enough to make a differnce. Use a lighter lipstick and a sheer or light lipgloss.

Hope that helps.
Unread 06-25-2006, 06:46 PM   #12
FiberOptic

why do you need to look asian?
just make the costume as it is..... theres no reason you need to make yourself look just like her. cosplay is about trying to copy the outfit so it looks the same as the characters not trying to make yourself a different race.....i mean you are pretty much saying ppl with a waist thats 30'' have to starve themselves untill they have a 27'' waist. its just stupid.......... or pl who are black cant cosplay any character because of skin color.
wake it up
bleed sweet sanctuary... bleed
FiberOptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2006, 06:58 PM   #13
Hagisan
envy is an ugly thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by keikana
well, there's no simple way to make yourself look asian, unfortunately, but instead of trying to look asian in general, try to look like the character. Granted, with real Japanese idols it's going to be even harder to make yourself look like them, as opposed to a 2D character...
However, for my Kasugano Sakura costume, I found that having a darker eyecolor through the use of contacts (I naturally have grey-blue eyes, but popped in some dark brown contacts), straightened hair to give the illusion of thin-ness(since my hair is mega-thick), and makeup/tanning to give yourself sort of a creamy-tan complexion helps.

Here's me normally (uhm, ignore the dorky label):
http://www.clickitgirl.net/keikana/i.../blondehuh.gif

Here's me with some darkening:
http://www.just-a-dream.net/dcs-augu...-fighter02.jpg
http://www.clickitgirl.net/keikana/i...akura-2-01.jpg

I mean, it's obviously not a drastic change, but I hope it helps a little @3@;;

oh the hole eye issue ...err yeah its true that azn have more fat in there face witch makes it look like they have less facial features so if I were you I would buy some botax cream (they sell them at any cosmetic store) and they last for a couple of months you should put some on the upper and lower eye lid and at the edges of your nose also using lots of white compact helps i love the hole doll look your choice

Last edited by Hagisan : 06-25-2006 at 07:00 PM.
Hagisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #14
Ami_Ikari
The insane doctor

Can I help?

I am Asian-looking (Japanese) and when I do my makeup, I try to emphatize my racial looks (ohwell... I usually choose characters that let me do it, like Ishida - his eyes are narrower than mine), even when I'm preparing myself to a party.

This is what I use: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/paolla/makeup.jpg
From left to right, UP:
- Avon Beyond Color Marfim FPS 15 Foundation
- Natura Faces Beige Powder
- Bessie Light Pink Blush
DOWN:
- Kajal stick (no specific brand) - any good black eyeliner will do
- Natura Unica Pink Eye Shadow
- Avon Extreme Lenghts Mascara

1) I start with a good liquid foundation. I spread a thin layer on my face to cover any spots I usually have (just let the one I have near my nose, I like it). The color I use is the same as Lancome Maqui-Libre Skin Liberating Makeup Natural Wear Fluid Makeup 03 - Beige Diaphane (this is only for color reference, I found the picture at Amazon.com).

2) After that, I use a lot of powder *coff*coff* and I usually sneeze while powdering my face. That will erase any pimples or scratches or whatever you have on your face. Asians' face usually look like china (porcelain, bad joke). What I use here is Natura Faces Bege Neutro. A substitute would be Shiseido Advanced Performance Compact Foundation B4 Natural Fair Beige.

3) Get your blush and smile in front of your mirror. Use just a little bit and spread the powder with your fingers or with the brush right over the upper part of your cheeks. I forgot the name of the color I use, but it's almost the same as MAC Blush Dame.

4) Use a black kajal stick to paint a thin line on your upper eyelid. If you open wide your eyes, you'll see that your eyelid makes a thin line above your eyelashes - Asian usually DON'T have this line, I had a plastic surgery done on me so I could have it - paint that line on black and use your finger to spread a bit on the end.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87...makeupeyes.jpg

I have two pictures with the same cosplay, one without makeup and the other with makeup. As I'm already Asian, it doesn't have too much difference, but I did this makeup on a friend of mine (she's Caucasian) and the result was quite nice.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/paolla/makeup2.jpg
Unread 07-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #15
SasamiChan
DDR JunkieXD

Thank you, you guys have helped bunches!*hugs*=3