Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Unread 06-03-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
Gravely

CC-24 review/comments

Well, CC-24 in Des Moines has come and gone.
Overall I would give the people running it a B+.
The only way for them to get a higher grade would be to have had more people attend. But out in Des Moines, I'm sure they did the best they could.
about 200 or so folks attended.
While many anime and general SF con goers would think this tiny, please always keep in mind that it should be judged against other con populations of costume makers for the most part. not the entire con membership.
So when Balticon, in a high population area gets 2000 people or so attending, how manyof them are really hard core costumers?

So 200 was far from the smallest CC we;ve had.

There were 4 main events where people could have the chance to dress out, and or compete.
The Friday night Social, which was a classic movie theme, and saw a huge percentage of the con dress in themed costumes from all genres. from Peter Pan, to Mae West, to Anime characters, LOTR, StarWars, you name it.
The saturday night SF/F masquerade was very good for a con this size.
26 entries, many with multiple people inthe group. THis meant that most of the con was either working it, or in it.
But the audience was louder and more into it than I thought might be the case.

My Group, Tornamant did very well, which actually surprised us as we saw at least 4 other entries that could have possably won.
Jaqui Wards-Haiku
The Karisu-Dany-Saeto- Castlevania Group
Aurora Celeste's -Nene Winter Fairey
and the LlamaTron,
just to name a few.

In Fact, when a tie for best master was announced and Castlevania was called, I told Karisu to save us a spot on stage, as I assumed we would tie and that Jacqui would win.

Anyway, the tech ran pretty smooth. THis crew has worked together many times.
and as always there were plenty more cool costumes to see sitting out in the audience.

Sunday afternoon was the Future Fashion Show.
A design contest was held 6 months ago, and the winners were printed in a booklet that attendees recieved last winter. They could choose designs from the book to make up, and display in the show.

This also was large for this con. 19 entries in all. And they all looked pretty good.
They added a runway to the stage so you could walk out to the audience to get photographed.

Sunday night was the historical masquerade.
percentage wise this was just slightly lower than average with 11 entries, but as I have seen posted elsewhere, there was NO junk on stage.

One thing that might seem odd to anime con goers is the lack of costumes during the daytime.
This particular con hadn't set up any hall costume deals as incentive.
which is usually WAY more mellow that at Anime Cons.
It's usually simply the secret costume police ;-)
walking the halls looking at stuff and handing out random awards to cool things.
Otherwise, CC is so much about goin to classes that for some, there's not the time to dress out all day.
Other factors in this

You may be rehersing or working on your competition piece, so you don't want to be wearing something different when the lighting crew wants to see you.
Also, so many of the competition pieces are elaborate enough, that it's cumbersome even to wear your 'stumes from previous CC's.
Or you simply don'r have the room to pack a lot, as since CC moves around the country a bunch, a good percentage of folks fly to it rather than drive.

For us it was a huge pleasure to meet some folks from Cosplay.com that we'd not met before. To see some old friends from here, and to at least get to see Auroras stuff in person, tho she was the one person we wanted to find time to hang with and didn't. hopefully next time.

Hope this explains what you're lookig at in some of the pics folks have posted.

Interested to hear what first timers thought.

Gravely
owner of Castle Blood the most interactive, costume friendly haunted house anywhere.
Co-Chair Costume-Con 27 ( 2009) Baltimore,Maryland
Cosplay Guest of Honor, Anime North, Toronto, May 2009,2010
founding president NJ/NY chapter ICG
2004 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
http://www.facebook.com/gravely.maccabre
Gravely is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
AuroraCeleste

Wow. I am totally floored that you put my costume in a list with Dany, Karisu, Saeto, Jacqi Ward, and you. I'm extremely flattered, and sorry I didn't get time to talk with you either!

Here's my con review, it's been posted around a few places I think:

I had lots of fun. I attended many panels; my corset panel had great attendance, I got lots of info from the judging panel and Costuming resources panels, and I had a great time at the lighting and stage movement panels. I thought the Friday social was so-so, I didn't really know anyone yet and was still too shy to introduce myself much, so I didn't do much there.

I spent most of Saturday nervous about the Masque. The masque itself was good, although they had us stand in the massive workmanship line in the green room; at Archon the den moms/dads made sure to keep the line down nd people sat for most of the time, only getting in line when it was near their turn. Less standing in ricky shoes that way. I also noticed that our den was positioned strategically right in front of the amazing mega-mirror, and people were constantly walking through it to get to the mirror. The actual preformance went well. I think my time in rehersal helped a lot, with the tech people and Pierre offering good suggestions. I can definately see the benefit of eary tech time and wearing your costume to tech, because I changed my shoes after the ones I was wearing didn't quite work. After the masque I spent some time backstage on the phone (found out I have a 4.0 gpa for spring semester, quite a feat for me since finals week was the week before the con!), then went out to socialize in the hallway to help get over the nervous tension from preforming. It was late when they announced the winners (no one's fault, I understand judging takes a while with such a great competition), so afterward I spent very little time in the con suite before going off to bed.

Sunday I did the future fashion folio, which was apparently too early in the morning for most people. The green room was calmer because of fewer people, but the early time meant most people weren't getting around on time and it delayed everything. They had us all backstage, and with the platform shoes I grabbed every available seating space while waiting to go onstage (more chairs would have been nice). Photos after went okay. We didn't have much practice, so I wasn't sure what was going on, but I bluffed through it. Spent the rest of the day doing panels. Not competing in the Masque gave me great time to go eat and rest up before the Hist. Masque.

Monday I got up and packed, then attended some panels before checking out. The hotel held our stuff so I could go to the lighting and stage preforming panels, which were some of the most informative to me for the weekend (lighting especially, I don't have much exposure to the topic right now).

In all, I had a great time, and I'm already trying to figure out what to do in the Masques next year! Also, we've already got a massive Trinity Blood cosplay group in the works, so it should be a great time!
AuroraCeleste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
Costumers

Aurora,

I'm glad you enjoyed your first Costume-Con. It is a somewhat different environment than regular SF cons or Anime cons.

Was there anything in particular you had even marginal problems with or didn't understand? We old horses tend to take things for granted and sometimes miss things that our newer members would like.

Pierre
Costumers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
Costumers

I'm very old school and rarely concern myself with alias. My job isn't really a consideration, nor is Sandy's. Everyone there knows what we do.

We did have a guy that was a body in some of our presentations, though, that did need special care. He was military at the time and his job was classified. While we could use his real name, his face wasn't supposed to be seen. So we always had to make sure his face was hidden by makeup or a mask.

Pierre
Costumers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

First, congrats on the awards!

I'm glad to get reviews. It helps me get a better idea of what CC25 will be like.

I'm interested in the panels about the stage lighting and masq performance related things, since it will be my first masq performance in years, and I think the setup is a bit different (with a rehearsal and lighting issues to consider?). Are the panels about this type of thing in advance of signing up for the masquerade, so there is the possibility of putting what you've just learned to use?

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #6
Lady Kathleen o
Maker of Fyne Attyre

This was my first Costume Con. I must say I had a wonderful time. The professionalism of the Costumers who competed in both Masqurades was outstanding. The panels were informative to me as a professional costumer. There is so much to learn from these talented people.

God gave me a gift to design and create "wearable works of art". The talent I saw that wekend had me in awe. This is not a convention for those with just a "hobby", this is serious business!! This is Costuming Art at its finest!! To be shoulder to shoulder with some of the most talented people in the business makes me want to be even better at what I do for my own costuming needs and those of my clients.

Huzzah to all who worked to make CC24 a thrilling and awesome experience !!
Unread 06-16-2006, 02:19 PM   #7
BoinkCoBoy
Kevin Roche, CC26 Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth
I'm interested in the panels about the stage lighting and masq performance related things, since it will be my first masq performance in years, and I think the setup is a bit different (with a rehearsal and lighting issues to consider?). Are the panels about this type of thing in advance of signing up for the masquerade, so there is the possibility of putting what you've just learned to use?
Whenever possible, yes. Steve Swope and I did the Presentation workshop on Friday afternoon, and several people told me later that they used what they learned when they went on stage.

I also did Stage Movement on Monday (just before closing ceremonies) because they wanted to give us the stage to actually play with. For obvious reasons, the stage wasn't available until that day of the con.
Documented Costumer since 1968 (No! Really!)

One of the founders of the International Costumers Guild
Member of the ICG Fairness Guidelines Committee
Recipient, 2007 ICG Lifetime Achievement Award

My Journal: Adventures of an Urban Jungleboy
BoinkCoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2006, 06:39 AM   #8
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoinkCoBoy
Whenever possible, yes. Steve Swope and I did the Presentation workshop on Friday afternoon, and several people told me later that they used what they learned when they went on stage.
Oh, that's great to hear!

I'm really determined to do the best I can at this con and I think having some type of panel like this will really help me use the resources available to me to their full extent - or at the very least, more than I would have otherwise.

Thank you for running such a panel! You can be sure to see me there next year for CC25. ^_^

Unread 06-19-2006, 09:04 AM   #9
BoinkCoBoy
Kevin Roche, CC26 Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleryth
Oh, that's great to hear!
Thank you for running such a panel! You can be sure to see me there next year for CC25. ^_^
Well -- folks from the CC25 committee are members of this forum, so I'm sure they are noting your interest in the panel...

I can promise that there will be program items of this sort at CC26.
Documented Costumer since 1968 (No! Really!)

One of the founders of the International Costumers Guild
Member of the ICG Fairness Guidelines Committee
Recipient, 2007 ICG Lifetime Achievement Award

My Journal: Adventures of an Urban Jungleboy
BoinkCoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2006, 10:40 PM   #10
Buddycat
Assistant ICG Archivist

If we have enough interest, sure. Seesm like so many times, these panels are not very well attended, but it seems to have worked out at CC24.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ICGArchives

Also visit the International Costumers Gallery: http://www.costume.org/gallery2/main.php
Buddycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #11
grandis
Buried Alive in Gold Trim

Although a lot later than it should be, I wanted to say thanks to all the fine folks that I met at Costume Con. I returned from Russia one week ago today and I'm finally getting back into the swing of things.

I was one of those folks who were struck by the mellowness of the con during the day. Easy come, easy go. I've just never been a last minute costumer who sews at cons, and I seemed to be at a whole con of them.

The costumes were grand. The people I met, both new and old friends were great. I'm probably just looking for a different experience wearing my costumes than the one I found. I found this experience to also be true of the first costume con I attended in Lincoln many moons ago.

So, to sum, if you like competition, set times to dress up, or feel you want to go to school, costume con is for you, although there are good venues, such as the fashion show and the social to wear costumes that aren't competitive.

If you like wearing and seeing other people wear costumes during the day, not so much. And everyone who knows me knows that what I do at a convention is bring 5-8 costumes, change into them, and take pictures of other people most of the day. So, there you go.

I would like to commend the DMSF folks for running, as usual, a tight ship. The masquerades were really quite an improvement over the anime convention, and honestly, you could tempt me back if the daytime costuming were as cool as the night time costuming. I want it all.

Grandis

Beauxbatons Original Design from Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire: 30 percent
Sparklypoo Hogwarts Uniform from Harry Potter Universe: 20 percent
Spoor from Crest of Stars: 0 percent
grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2006, 10:31 AM   #12
Buddycat
Assistant ICG Archivist

I agree there was not as much hall costuming at this one, and I'm not sure why, but that's not always typical at Costume-Con. It could have been because I don't think there were hall costume awards given out. It could have just been related to size of the convention - both CC10 and CC24 were small. Also, at least at CC24, function space was on two different floors. I think that may have discouraged some people from wearing their hall costumes. Since there were fewer people attending, it may have contributed to an overall perception of "Well, there's not that many people to see my costume, so why bother?" I went ahead and wore stuff in the halls, anyway.

I'm hoping CC25 will counter that thinking, because all our function space is on one level. The hotel concourse will have a high level of traffic because the function space is all located right there - meeting rooms, exhibits, dealers and the ballroom.

In addition, we will be giving out hall costume awards all weekend. There is also a special hall costume prize for the best Pirate costume on Saturday.

Our staff attitude is, as it was for CC16, that we're throwing a party for 300 or more of our closest friends. We succeeded very well with that attitude, and it is our intention to repeat that success.

I'm hoping this will not be the case at CC25.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ICGArchives

Also visit the International Costumers Gallery: http://www.costume.org/gallery2/main.php
Buddycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #13
grandis
Buried Alive in Gold Trim

I've heard through the grapevine that you guys are going to be working on this, and that sounds very promising!

Grandis

Beauxbatons Original Design from Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire: 30 percent
Sparklypoo Hogwarts Uniform from Harry Potter Universe: 20 percent
Spoor from Crest of Stars: 0 percent
grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2006, 09:13 PM   #14
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandis
I've heard through the grapevine that you guys are going to be working on this, and that sounds very promising!

Grandis
And you can probably bet that the Canadian Contingent (as I'm calling it) will be out and about in hall costumes since it's something we're used to doing. I did have them planned out, but now with this Pirates thing, I might have to change it since I don't have a pirate costume (yet).

Why pirates, btw? Just curious!

Unread 07-06-2006, 01:43 AM   #15
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

I wants my hall costuming too! Des Moines was a bit of a downer for me in that way as well, I must admit, even though travel by flying really limits what I can bring to a con, as I often work past a date when I can ship stuff. Even I got stuck in last-minute at-con sewing this year, though, which is really unusual for me.

I've developed a habit at cons of basically never being out of costume during my waking hours - after all, where ELSE can I do this? (I just got back from Anime Expo which was a "relaxacon" for me this year - I only brought 7 costumes, though I could have probably worn 8-9.)
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote