Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 06-04-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
Tigerzeyes
~ Evil Butterfly Minion ~

What can the average cosplayer expect to pay at a con photoshoot?

I figured this would be the right place to ask.
What can the average cosplayer, aka Me , expect as a reasonable price for convention professional photography? Because I was thinking it might be a good idea to get my photo taken professionally after all the hard work that goes into a costume... but I don't want to get fleeced.
What do you professional types typically charge for something like that?
How much is too much if I don't know anything about the reputation of the photographer?

If I'm in the wrong place, sorry!

Thanks a lot photo-ey folks!

~Tiger

Unread 06-04-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Shizzo

uggggggggghhhh I just posted a nice reply and it got eaten.

Anway, I've only paid for a photoshoot once. It was with Admin of this site and it was $40 for two people for a half hour of shooting. I'm sure you've seen Admins photo galleries on the main page of cosplay.com, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect nice photos at a convention for not a lot of money.

A lot of amateur (in name only, not quality) photographers will do a photoshoot with you for free. They get a free model, you get free pictures. Now, if I could only FIND one of these photographers, I'd be thrilled. I am never happy with photos I take of myself.

Really though, you shouldn't have to pay too much. If they want more than you're willing to pay then you can always say no thanks =)
Shizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
Ami Yuy
Not an active mod
Site Moderator

Over here on the West coast we've got a gaggle of good photographers that if you know them, you can ask *coughbribecough* them for a shoot and they'll normally agree. ^^ I'm sure there are some regular cosplay photographers that would be willing to do free shoots up there too.

However, if you want to pay, I've never seen over $25 as the base charge of a shoot for one person for 30 mins - 1 hour.
Ami Yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
Tigerzeyes
~ Evil Butterfly Minion ~

My problem is I live waaaaaay up in norther Ontario... not a super place for... well... anything... lol.
If anyone knows of a good photographer who lives in or near Sudbury ON, ...
Let me know, lol
Or if you guys know of anyone who'll be at Canadian National Anime Expo (Sept. 1-3), you'd be my gods.

Thanks for the input,

Tiger
Unread 06-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #5
TomodachiFriend
Pick The Chair!

I know it's not a place to ask for photographers and models but I'll answer your last request. I think SolarTempest lives in Toronto or somewhere around there. He did some private shoots at AnimeNorth so you could probably book one with him for September. Do this privately though.

Last edited by TomodachiFriend : 06-04-2006 at 07:33 PM.
TomodachiFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

I just worked AB. I was staff, so I did the shoots for free, and if people wanted prints, they paid my expenses for printing.

At a model shoot, or a private photoshoot, it really depends on the rights and releases of the shoot.

If someone is interested in TFP, or TFCD (Time for Prints or Time for CD), I will decide if I think they offer an image Im looking for in my own portfolio. If so, I would agree. (Or if I had a lot of free time.)

If someone is interested in portfolio pictures, with rights for sole use in non profitable self promotion, I will charge a nominal fee for my time, plus cost of prints.

If someone is intereted in rights to their pictures from a shoot, the fee goes up quite a bit. Usually in this case, the cost of the prints or media is included in the shoot price.

You can go from free to 200 an hour for your talented semi professional or professional. Big name photographers clearly dont apply here.

I would say the going rate of $20/30 mins is a good deal.

In a shoot which I gain nothing, I will never shoot for less than I could make hourly working shift.

Bruce
staereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #7
Jersey13

I have a professional photographer friend who I asked about that, and I'm fairly sure his rate is somewhere around $60-$100 / hour. I live in the Balt/Wash area, so I guess it must be a bit more expensive around here than for you guys. Or maybe my friend is just that good.

If I get my costume all awesome, I'm gonna see if I can get him to take some photos.
Jersey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #8
Ami Yuy
Not an active mod
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey13
I have a professional photographer friend who I asked about that, and I'm fairly sure his rate is somewhere around $60-$100 / hour. I live in the Balt/Wash area, so I guess it must be a bit more expensive around here than for you guys. Or maybe my friend is just that good.

If I get my costume all awesome, I'm gonna see if I can get him to take some photos.
Well, the difference for me at least (I charge in the $20 range) is that I try and keep it cheap for cosplayers. Also, since the goal of the pictures is generally just photos for the web, the editing and exporting process is a lot easier, less time consuming, and cheaper than printing.

Now, for regular non-cosplay shoots, I would definately charge more, also depending on what and how many prints.
Ami Yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 11:39 PM   #9
SolarTempest
.: Photographer :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomodachiFriend
I think SolarTempest lives in Toronto or somewhere around there. He did some private shoots at AnimeNorth so you could probably book one with him for September. Do this privately though.
Hahaha, thanks TomodachiFriend. Staying within forum rules, I'll just confirm that I am in the Toronto area and I have done shoots in the Toronto area. =P

I think for Cosplayers, $20 for an hour is quite fair. I don't see most cosplayers being on a huge budget. Many amateur photographers are willing to do longer sessions or for cheaper, notably because most of them just love shooting. Amateur does not mean unskilled, it means it's less than 10% of their annual income.

Jostens (professional portrait company) here charges $80 for ~8 moderate quality and cliche graduation shots. And that's assembly-line photography.

When doing awards dinner / formal photography, I've made $600 profit for a few hours work with my assistant.

Regardless of expertise and job, I think photographers should always recieve some compensation for their work. We all provide skilled work and the equipment is very expensive. Fair pay for fair work, that's what I believe in. I certainly don't expect people to pay me for my photography what I make at work though =P

As for TFP, I'm not a fan. Cosplay/model photography isn't going to be my career so I'm not interested in photos for my portfolio. I'm already spending my time and have paid for my equipment, so unless it's an extremely large opportunity, I'd rather not pay for someone else's prints. Photos downloadable online, I can do that.

And there's never any "quota" for shots. Whatever good shots I take get put out to the model / cosplayer. If the model / cosplayer works quickly and is well prepared, they're rewarded for their efforts. That simple!

flickr.com/photos/solartempest
Facebook: solartempestphotography
-Email me for shoots!

:2014 Planned Conventions:
Katsucon, Con-G, MTAC, Colossal Con, Otakuthon, FanExpo, Youmacon,
SolarTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 07:14 AM   #10
Ollie
Between Worlds

If you're looking for a photographer (didn't we just have a thread on this?), try your local university art department or photography club. They could probably point you in the right direction to find somebody who'd work with you. Especially if you're just asking for digital copies, there's not much overall cost involved. And art students would probably appriciate the oppertunity to practice on a real model. Just spend some time talking with whomever you end up with so you both know what to expect.

Now, you could also ask photographers at a con. I know DeathCom actually set up a studio and sold prints on site at Tekkoshocon. But anybody at a con may be busy, have obligations, or unwilling for many other reasons. Finding somebody local is a much better bet.
Unread 06-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
DarkMag

I suggest to everyone to go to www.modelmayhem.com. You have to register and stuff, but you can usually go around looking for photographers that'll do a photoshoot for free around your areaa if you want the TFCD. These photos will help create your portfolio and stuff.

My photographer will be following me around for 4 - 5 hours taking my pics at the Anime Expo for free, so I'm happy about that. =]
DarkMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #12
JohnThurston
Call me J.T. Or Cloudy =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMag
I suggest to everyone to go to www.modelmayhem.com. You have to register and stuff, but you can usually go around looking for photographers that'll do a photoshoot for free around your areaa if you want the TFCD. These photos will help create your portfolio and stuff.

My photographer will be following me around for 4 - 5 hours taking my pics at the Anime Expo for free, so I'm happy about that. =]
This sounds almost too good to be true, so I have some stupid questions:

What does TFCD mean?

I looked around briefly on the site, and kinda got lost... I understand that I'll need to register, but: How does one go about asking for "free"/cheap photographers in their area?

Thanks!

-JT
JohnThurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 02:00 AM   #13
photoworks.ws
Photographer

cosplay photos at AE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMag
I've seen several cosplay threads on Modelmayhem.com lately. Some people wanting to get together. I used to have an account on OMP but I find the people on MM much friendlier and more reliable about setting stuff up. Feel free to email me if you want any advice about MM.
Curt
Unread 06-12-2006, 02:07 AM   #14
photoworks.ws
Photographer

using modelmayhem, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThurston
This sounds almost too good to be true, so I have some stupid questions:

What does TFCD mean?

I looked around briefly on the site, and kinda got lost... I understand that I'll need to register, but: How does one go about asking for "free"/cheap photographers in their area?
TFCD is Time For (images on) CD. It's a trade. If the photographer thinks that shooting you for free will add to their portfolio or provide them with an interesting creative opportunity they may agree to shoot for this trade (your modeling for their images of you). http://www.newmodels.com/ has a section of TFP (prints) and other relevant stuff if you're wanting to hook up with a photographer on MM or OMP. I have a number of links like this on my site ( http://photoworks.ws/links.htm ).

Attractive females with interesting outfits will have the most success in finding trade services. There have been several cosplay threads on MM lately. Just plug "cosplay" into the search engine on MM.

Curt
Unread 06-12-2006, 04:09 AM   #15
Jurai
hobby psychologist

Hi there to all !

I'm a hobby photographer. I spend my time on german conventions and take about 1000 photos per convention. Most of those photos were taken just in time. When i see a cosplayer with a nice costume, i ask him/her about some photos. When i notice, that the cosplayer likes posing, i prefer to make several pics. After convention i publish them on my own website or on a server supported by a big german anime-/manga community.

I do so since 2002. Lots of german cosplayers know my photos and some of them come to me on conventions and ask for a session. I've never taken money for those pics. The reason is, that i don't have lots costs. If i'd have to rent a studio or other technics, I had to take money for that service.

Nobody knows what the future brings. Maybe anytime i'll have to take money.

I don't know much about prices in USA. I guess in Germany you'll pay for an "one our session" much more than 50 Euro. It depence on how many pics the cosplayer wants to have printed.

I wish, that my english were better ... sorry for that
Greetz Jurai

Last edited by Jurai : 06-21-2006 at 05:13 AM.
Jurai is offline   Reply With Quote